tripod or flash

niunai

Jul 28, 2008
hello guys

i am a newbie, started photography for around 6 months. using d90 with kit lens
i am more into taking landscape, architect as compare to ppl.

i read a few books, the books emphaized on getting sharp photos, and tripod is quite a must. So now, i am thinking if i should get a tripod first or flash because i usually take pictures of my friends when we go outing and events, so flash is kinda important for indoor and night to control the lighting.
i know i am like contradicting myself. but i hope you understand.

please advise.

hahah they are different accessories, and satisfy different demands.
You gotta prioritize lor, if budget is a limiting factor. If not, BBB both :devil:

edit: this sentence "i am more into taking landscape, architect as compare to ppl. " might answer your question about what to get first.

get a good tripod first ...

Not at all contradicting. You just need prioritizing that's all ;)

i dont know how to prioritize.very doubtful LOL
i definitely understand they are totally different equipment and both are equally impt.
anyway, i am on a budget as i am a student, only working part time to save and buy.
thats why i always do enough research and make sure i buy what i need LOL

Thanks guys!

It's another classical case of multiple wants but limited resources. You've just gotta decide if you to develop your landscape photography, or if your outings/events are more important. I don't see why any of us here can decide that for you.

If you are into landscape more than people, get a good and sturdy tripod.

For a good and sturdy tripod, it won't be cheap as cheap usually mean not sturdy and not so good tripod.

Flash, can use built-in flash first.

HTH.

hello guys

i read a few books, the books emphaized on getting sharp photos, and tripod is quite a must. So now, i am thinking if i should get a tripod first or flash because i usually take pictures of my friends when we go outing and events, so flash is kinda important for indoor and night to control the lighting.

please advise.

Hi TS,

Great u have set u priority.

If u more into landscape & architect, a good tripod is a must. Cathay photo is having a promotion, you may want to consider for a start

http://www.cathayphoto.com.sg/offers/2010/07/manfrotto-190xprob-pro-tripod

For low light & nigh photography, I recommend either 50mm 1.8 or a flash (SB600 or Nissin 622), these items shall be good for you in low light & night photography at later stage.

I Recommend Sb600/400 over other third party flash, can be gotten off at b&s corner. Tripod will be manfrotto 055 series also can find in b&s... All u need to do is to know what to check out for when purchasing preowned eq... Cheers

For a landscape photographer, the tripod is the most important piece of equipment (after the camera and lens). A very good photographer once said (translated from Mandarin):

If don't have tripod, why bother taking landscape photos?
没有三脚架,拍什么风景照?

Depending on what you like to shoot more, not all equipment are equally important. If your case, the tripod is more important than the flash.

hello guys

please advise.

I will say get both..
U will need them definitely as both serves different purposes :)

If you have to choose between either, I'd have to say Tripod first... and then Flash at a later date - at least go easier on your pocket.

I don't see much of flash usage for landscape (unless under very special circumstances during night time).. Flash is on my LOWEST need-to-have at the moment... :bsmilie:

But given your circumstances - shooting friends... :think: Flash also important...

Tough choice - you have to calculate lor...

Don't forget, with a tripod, you can include yourself with your friends... Flash you cannot! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
A way to decide is quite simple. You'll ask yourself which is your immediate "need". If you need the tripod then tripod it is. Same goes for flash. Ultimately, you'll prolly need to get both sooner or later.

u already mention LANDSCAPE in you post...
It says it all.

Prioritise and you can decide. In general, both are required and are for different applications.

I think the tripod comes first. You can still use the pop up flash on your camera until you are ready to invest in a proper flash unit.

Tripod without saying as that's your main concern.

both are needed, but:
if you want to do portrait / indoor shooting -> Flash first
or landscaping -> of course tripod first

both are needed, but:
if you want to do portrait / indoor shooting -> Flash first
or landscaping -> of course tripod first

I will say get both..
U will need them definitely as both serves different purposes :)

Though i got both on the same month. But wait... dont spread BBB virus leh i am one of the victim :( :bsmilie:

I was in the exact same position and decided to go for tripod first as without tripod you cannot take landscape/long shutter but without flash you can still take pics of friends (at least still got built-in flash).

I still ended up buying a flash but that was when I've saved enough after the tripod.