Tripod on plane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie

Jan 20, 2002
cool.as
Hi,

do airline allow passenger to hand carry tripod into the carbin? most of the time i put teh tripod inside my luggage and check in, but this time i only travel with a small carrying bag and nothings to checkin.

If not allow any solution or suggestion?

many thanks.

I have travelled with tripod as hand-carry. Just use a tripod bag or if tripod is compact enough, place into cabin luggage. A relatively cheap source for tripod bags in safrotto, which TCW carries, and it comes in various lengths and is padded.

Hi,

do airline allow passenger to hand carry tripod into the cabin? most of the time i put the tripod inside my luggage and check in, but this time i only travel with a small carrying bag and nothings to check in.

many thanks.

To avoid any trouble, always check with the airline stuff at check in. Different airline might have different policy. On two occasions I was told to check in my tripod, not allowed to hand-carry.

depends on the length and size of the tripod and also company policy.

e.g. on sq, had no problems and they offered to stowed it away in the closet.
on ba, was told to check in to luggage.

so far... no prob, even on economy class

travelled with tripod on 4 thai airways flights recently. no fuss at all. =)

I had a tough time with Quantas once. :sweat: But no problems with other Airlines.
With the recent events in UK (Diepite lowering their alert status by one notch today), I highly doubt filghts into UK will allow any hand carried tripods. :dunno:

Hi,

do airline allow passenger to hand carry tripod into the carbin? most of the time i put teh tripod inside my luggage and check in, but this time i only travel with a small carrying bag and nothings to checkin.

many thanks.

just this week..
SG to Hanoi.. handcarry ok
Hanoi to SG - at security screening kena asked to backtrack to airline counter to check in as luggage...
very troublesome..
on the way out make sure to inform all the staff at every "checkpoint"
immigration will hold yr passport until u return as passport already stamped.
if travelling in company , leave screened hand carry with them or else have to
re-screen all over again..
not a whole lot of fun

My Velbon went thru w/o issues with Qatar. i didn even put it in my Velbon casing

Ryan

Dude it depends on a couple of things. FIrstly which airline u fly with and which customs u go thru. Was stopped before in Japan while in transit to Canada or somewhere .. cant remember. They measured my tripod n luckily it was slightly shorter than their max length.

So my advice is, check in e tripod with ur luggage. Else u might have trouble bringing into e cabin. Niwae doubt so u need to use it during the flight. Wat i normally do is attached it to my backpack n use a bag cover to prevent it fm being dislodged. So far e tripod stays where it is.

i read some reviews of ppl's tripod or head getting damaged by the rough handling
( a steel spectacle casing kenna crushed - but that was because it was placed on one of the outer zippockets of my backpack. ) I dun think my carbonfibre can tahan that.

AdyH is right. i got no solutions to that except calling up the airline company and ask. And get a proper travel insurance.

Ryan

Alternatively, if the tripod can fit into the luggage, one can wrap the tripod with items of clothing and check in.

I travelled on jetstar and no prob.... in fact, i don't think i've heard of anyone's tripod being rejected for hand carry...

I travelled on jetstar and no prob.... in fact, i don't think i've heard of anyone's tripod being rejected for hand carry...

see above post :(
dun think its the airline... its the civil authority/airport/ground handling staff ?

see above post :(
dun think its the airline... its the civil authority/airport/ground handling staff ?

Well I send my tripod through the x ray just like all the other hand luggage and no prob..... it really depends on your luck and how much you look like a terrorist i guess :bsmilie:

Thai Airwayz, China Airlinez hadz noz problemz wiz myz tripodz onboardz ze planez.

is this why your name is wazzzzzzzzzzzup? :D

I tink u guys dont understand something, tripod per se is actually not prohibited on board, but rather it depends on the length of ur tripod. They have a certain limit. If urs is short of course they wudnt stop u. It's not because u dont look like a terrorist or not .. Duhh!

But e problem is not everyone tripod is as short as urs.

So my suggestion is, check fm e airline wat's the allowable length is. I suppose it shdnt be longer than the longest allowable hand carry luggage tat u can bring onboard. N do be careful cuz some tripod legs have those spikes which may be consider as a sharp object.

At e end of e day, e choice is still urs. Just because nobody has been stop fm carrying a tripod onboard, doesnt mean u won't be e 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.