Tripod, monopod and wat else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainman

Apr 4, 2004
In my own world
Any good recommendation on monopod?
budget 100 bucks

Is monopod faster in deployment and its stability?

Thks.

monopod faster to deploy but less stable

IMO, get a tripod. monos are good for instant stability. but, tripods are more versatile and more stable. also, tripods allow u to be in the picture when u set ur cam on self-timer! ;)

thanks for the replies. Still not very sure how monopod works.

nightwolf u mean after I deployed the monopod I will still need to hold it?

Think I will check out more from the website.

Currenly I'm using a 20 bucks cheapo tripod very flimsy and worse still the ballhead portion is tilted. Basically I need something more stable, faster to deploy and able to quick release(snap on type?)

Thanks.

rainman said:
thanks for the replies. Still not very sure how monopod works.

nightwolf u mean after I deployed the monopod I will still need to hold it?

Think I will check out more from the website.

Currenly I'm using a 20 bucks cheapo tripod very flimsy and worse still the ballhead portion is tilted. Basically I need something more stable, faster to deploy and able to quick release(snap on type?)

Thanks.

hi, rainman!

monopod means one-leg. ie ur 'tripod' has only 1 leg instead of 3. which means, after u screw on ur camera, u'll still need to hold on to ur camera. monopods, i've observed, are usually used by nature photographers and some sports shooters who wish to set up quickly. but, its not as stable as a tripod. also, becos u still have to hold on to the camera, it's useless if u wish to take grp pics with u in the picture.

there are some tripods from manfrotto or gitzo with a quick release plate for easy removal of ur camera. if u want a ball head as compared to the standard tilt head for ur tripod or monopod, u'll have to buy one. suggest u keep watch on the buy/sell if u want to buy a tripod and/or ball heads (eg markins). there are usually a few CSers who wish to upgrade their tripods to heavier ones. so, u can save a bit by buying from them. :D

Thanks pal!

Seems like monopod doesn't suit my need and more like a "hand resting stand" to me..keke

Will look for a better tripod then though now I'm actually start to concern on the weight issue.. :)

Put it this way, monopod are not substitute for tripod.
monopod give u 2 extra stops of stability, where tripod is unlimited. Also, sport journalist use monopod becos they need to pan fast and move where the action is. Even if they can handheld, these mama len will break their neck and soon their arm will look like arnie. So, most of photographer will have a tripod regardless whether they need monopod, beanbag or not :)

For me, I usually tuck a ultrapod II in my gear bag and strip them somewhere or use as table top tripod, sometime I find a stick and strip it ontop and use as monopod (@_@)

Status
Not open for further replies.