tripod loading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

skopio

Nov 26, 2006
hello, shopping for my first tripod, looking at the slik models and have roughly decided on the slik sprint series.

i have a question though, what's the difference between the max load capacity of the tripod and the max load capacity of the head?

so when considering whether the tripod fits my camera's weight, which capacity should i be looking at?

TIA.

hello, shopping for my first tripod, looking at the slik models and have roughly decided on the slik sprint series.

i have a question though, what's the difference between the max load capacity of the tripod and the max load capacity of the head?

so when considering whether the tripod fits my camera's weight, which capacity should i be looking at?

TIA.

Maximum load capacity as stated on the head refer to the maximum weight of the camera and lens combination. If say you have a camera with a 50mm len weights 1.1kg and the maximum capacity of the headt is 1.5kg, that means the head is capable to hold the weight of the camera. But if you also have a lens like a 70-200mm zoom....and you switch that with your 50mm lens on the camera, now your camera/lens now might be about 2.4kg, That means it exceed the capacity of the head to handle the weight. That does not mean the head will snap off and drop your camera to the floor. Maximum capacity in my view is more about stability issue of especially those tension spring ball head or those using a single screw system to hold the camera position pivoted over the ball surface. The extra weight of the camera/lens might slowly tilt off your preferred camera angle as it is beyond the strength of the head to hold the heavier camera/lens in the position and tilt you set for your camera. This is further made worst when your lens is heavier then your camera body..so there is already a lope-sided weight situation on top of that...so getting a bigger head will help alot in that case.

As for maximum weight of the tripod, it is similar to the above. In this case, the amount of stress and stability of the tripod to hold a given weight on top of it. But now, this weight is not only about the camera and lens BUT the weight of the tripod head too. As you might know, some tripod heads can be pretty weighty too. So you have to factor what kind of lens you have or intend to buy to make a pretty sensible choice of what tripod and head to get. Too heavy a weight on your tripod it will stress the joints of the tripod extensions and it can also slightly bend the legs overtime. That is why you see shops selling varying length and thickness of tripod legs...etc. The heavier your gears are, the more stronger your tripod or head will have to be.

That's about the size of it! :)

Maximum load capacity as stated on the head refer to the maximum weight of the camera and lens combination. If say you have a camera with a 50mm len weights 1.1kg and the maximum capacity of the headt is 1.5kg, that means the head is capable to hold the weight of the camera. But if you also have a lens like a 70-200mm zoom....and you switch that with your 50mm lens on the camera, now your camera/lens now might be about 2.4kg, That means it exceed the capacity of the head to handle the weight. That does not mean the head will snap off and drop your camera to the floor. Maximum capacity in my view is more about stability issue of especially those tension spring ball head or those using a single screw system to hold the camera position pivoted over the ball surface. The extra weight of the camera/lens might slowly tilt off your preferred camera angle as it is beyond the strength of the head to hold the heavier camera/lens in the position and tilt you set for your camera. This is further made worst when your lens is heavier then your camera body..so there is already a lope-sided weight situation on top of that...so getting a bigger head will help alot in that case.

As for maximum weight of the tripod, it is similar to the above. In this case, the amount of stress and stability of the tripod to hold a given weight on top of it. But now, this weight is not only about the camera and lens BUT the weight of the tripod head too. As you might know, some tripod heads can be pretty weighty too. So you have to factor what kind of lens you have or intend to buy to make a pretty sensible choice of what tripod and head to get. Too heavy a weight on your tripod it will stress the joints of the tripod extensions and it can also slightly bend the legs overtime. That is why you see shops selling varying length and thickness of tripod legs...etc. The heavier your gears are, the more stronger your tripod or head will have to be.

That's about the size of it! :)

wow.. super informative! :thumbsup:

lidat i think slik sprint series not enough le.. max load only 2.5..

are there any tripods less than 1kg but can hold 3kg or more? don't tell me carbon fibre please, i don't print $$$! ;p

wow.. super informative! :thumbsup:

lidat i think slik sprint series not enough le.. max load only 2.5..

are there any tripods less than 1kg but can hold 3kg or more? don't tell me carbon fibre please, i don't print $$$! ;p

Well actually if you want to really "cheapado" about it heheheheh you can use those skinny thin leg tripod too...only one thing....don't extend the legs heheh..use it as a shorty tripod and you can sit on the floor and shoot hehehe.....

Abit of a joke but there is some truth to it too. :) The guide numbers also tend to mean when the tripod is fully extended.

But really....if you want something for something where in this world can you get it for free or very generously given to you without a fee? You don't need to print alot of money but you do need to print at least a bit. And note....carbon fibre does not alway mean can hold alot. I personally like heavy tripod. It keeps my camera alot more stable to the ground especially if I am shooting long exposure stuff like a firework or some night scene. If you are shooting normal day time stuff in the usualy speed range like 1/15 and above...you can get away with just using a monopod.

You want to get a 1kg and give you those magical weight numbers as you want it? Well maybe there are those tripods ( cheap and that capable) ....you might need to do some leg work to find them. But at the top of my head...I can't think nor have I seen something like that. hehehe "Ai pee Ai chee" heheheh Well hopefully some other folks here can intro you something like that heh...

tripod too heavy sure too lazy to bring out.. at least for me la..
niwae, just wondering whether there is, don't have nvm..
oh well, slik here i come then.. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.