Tripod legalities in Singapore

Bandi

Jan 27, 2015
Singapore
Could anyone help me out with the regulations with regards to using tripods for still shooting in public places (and privately owned but publicly available) in Singapore?

Places of particular interest:
- street
- inside MRT station (possibly outside the gate if that's an issue)
- shopping centers (I guess regulations might vary)
- markets

Maybe this was discussed before but cannot find, so a gentle reminder with a link will also do :)

Thanks!
Bandi

Could anyone help me out with the regulations with regards to using tripods for still shooting in public places (and privately owned but publicly available) in Singapore?

- street
- markets

Maybe this was discussed before but cannot find, so a gentle reminder with a link will also do :)

Thanks!
Bandi

"privately owned" means they can stop you from doing anything in their premisses if they exercise their rights.

- street
YES, provided you are not causing obstruction or nuisance to general public or any officers carry out their duties.

NO

NO

- markets
NO

Answers to:
MRT
legally, you can't even take photos inside MRT for safety reasons--let alone a tripod. This being said, application can be made to shoot at MRT stations for appropriate reasons.

Malls
depends on whether you're shooting for the tenant or similar of the mall. You would probably have no issues shooting in the premise of the tenant involved but once you step out of it, you would need additional application.

Markets
this i'm not sure but i suppose similar application would be needed if you want to do it by the book or alternatively, you could do it quick without obstructing the store owners.

Thank you!

"privately owned" I'm aware of, it's clear enough who to check with (their staff)

The rest sounds a little vague and no authority or legal document to turn to so far:

I understand the MRT security issues, but markets capital NO?
How about sporting events, music festivals, are they any different from a market?

Is there clear a distinction between tripod and hand held?

Just trying to understand so I can plan my project better.

EDIT: of course assuming common sense and due respect to people

Last edited:
How about sporting events, music festivals, are they any different from a market?

Such events usually spell it out quite clearly in their T&Cs.

as mentioned by kandinsky,
any events; be it sports, music, concerts and performance would have T&Cs written. in fact some of these would prohibit photography entirely, some restricting professional cameras (or cameras with interchangeable lens) but allows the smaller P&S cameras.

Thank you!

"privately owned" I'm aware of, it's clear enough who to check with (their staff)

The rest sounds a little vague and no authority or legal document to turn to so far:

Is there clear a distinction between tripod and hand held?

Just trying to understand so I can plan my project better.

EDIT: of course assuming common sense and due respect to people
in their dictionary, using DSLR is professional, using tripod is shooting for commercial.

btw, do you notice many street stalls in Chinatown displaying "NO PHOTOGRAPHY" signs?

A bigger problem is ladders.