'Tripod in Hand-carry Luggage' Restrictions at airports around the world

any1 tried travelling to Australia / New Zealand with hand carry tripods?

Yogikartha Indonesia also did not allow

I've traveled to a few destinations with a tripod on my hand carry, and so far only Bali and Taipei International Airports have refused them.

Managed to take my tripod on board from London, Christchurch/Auckland, Stockholm and Oslo so far. Hope this helps

I got banned from taiwan airport, got to run tru the packaging counter to pack my tripod at additional charge and check in again.... Very inconvenience and lucky i got ample time for this unlucky thing, run here n there no joke!

Sent from my SM-A720F using Tapatalk

I got denied for entry at the security in Narita. Luckily, i could check-in my tripod by the lady that issued boarding pass to me. Those were the times before budget airline.

When I flew from Singapore to Manila in 2015, I carried a tripod as hand carry. When flying out from Manila, airport security refused to let me fly with the tripod as cabin baggage. Finally I got the airline cabin crew to provide to airport security in writing that they are aware that I am carrying the tripod in the cabin baggage and that they will keep it for me and give it to me upon landing. It's ironical that the inbound flight has different restrictions in contrast to the outbound flight.

Reactions: Ah Keong
As of September 2019, all airports in Philippines and Indonesia require tripods to be checked in, international and domestic.

Ps: List should be compiled and updated to make it easier for other members

There are YouTube videos of handlers at airports throwing the luggage around.
Any one experienced their tripod being broken after being checked in as luggage?
Or, if the tripod is a valuable type and was checked in, anyone experienced it being stolen/missing when you collect your luggage at the airport?

Afternote: What if the Airport allows hand carrying of tripods, but the Airline or the crew of that particular plane you are boarding, does NOT allow?

Last edited:
Airports that is NOT OKAY allow hand carrying of tripods.
1. All Airports (ROC)
2. Hanoi - size dependent, HCM, (Vietnam)
3. Paris - Size Dependent (France)
4. Xinjiang - all rod objects banned, (PRC)
5. (USA)
6. Narita - Size dependent, (Japan)
7. International, (Myanmar)
8. All Airports (Indonesia)
9. Manila, (Philippines)

Airports that is OKAY for hand carrying of tripods
1. San Francisco, San Diego (USA)
2. Domestic (Myanmar)
3. Narita - Size dependent, (Japan)
4. Paris - Size dependent, (France)
5. Hanoi - Size dependent, (Vietnam)
6. London, (England)
7. Christchurch, Auckland, (New Zealand)
8. Stockholm, (Sweden)
9. Oslo, (Norway)

Last edited:
When I flew from Singapore to Manila in 2015, I carried a tripod as hand carry. When flying out from Manila, airport security refused to let me fly with the tripod as cabin baggage. Finally I got the airline cabin crew to provide to airport security in writing that they are aware that I am carrying the tripod in the cabin baggage and that they will keep it for me and give it to me upon landing. It's ironical that the inbound flight has different restrictions in contrast to the outbound flight.

Tripod carrying restrictions are airport based, not airline based.

There are YouTube videos of handlers at airports throwing the luggage around.
Any one experienced their tripod being broken after being checked in as luggage?
Or, if the tripod is a valuable type and was checked in, anyone experienced it being stolen/missing when you collect your luggage at the airport?

Afternote: What if the Airport allows hand carrying of tripods, but the Airline or the crew of that particular plane you are boarding, does NOT allow?

Saw a friend who was not allowed to carry his tripod onto the flight and forced to check in his tripod last minute at HCM airport. Tripod came out in pieces at destination.

Thing is, when I plan to travel with a tripod, I will pack it into my luggage and pack it snug and protected. Never had an issue.

Some one has written an article on this in Nov 2018. However he is writing from the perspective of someone living in US, with their travel regulatory framework.

He does mention one cryptic statement:
" Just because the TSA has let you through the security screening doesn’t mean your tripod is on the plane yet; the airline still has to let you on. "

He seems to suggest the airline can be a second barrier/gatekeeper, if they want to.

I think I might get a tripod bag, stuff some padding inside and then tripod in the center. Check in with the main luggage, as I put tripod inside main luggage, wasted a bit of space. Btw, cannot go overseas till Covid gone. Vesak 2021 at Sydney quite slim chance. Maybe Nov 2022 at Japan might be a possible. :D