'Tripod in Hand-carry Luggage' Restrictions at airports around the world

vee5

May 5, 2005
Hi Everyone,

Sometimes when we travel, for various reasons, we would like to bring our tripods in our hand carry luggage bags up with us onto the planes.
However there are times when we are stopped by the security and had to double back to check them in instead. That causes lots of inconveniences.
At other times, we get to bring tripods through with no problem!

Just thought we should start compiling a list of the various airports where tripods are not allowed as hand-carry onto the planes, so everyone will be in the know :)

Airports that do not allow hand carrying of tripods.

1. All airports in Taiwan
2. All airports in Vietnam
3. Paris (CDG), France
4. All airports in Xinjiang, China (all rod objects banned)
5. All airports in USA (spiked feet are not allowed. Some airports allow tripods as hand carry some do not. Depends on interpretation. TSA rules can be found HERE. Article about tripods HERE.)

If you know of any other airports where it's not allowed, pls share with us and we'll build the list up! (we will modify this first post with new info)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: SubbuPD
Thanks for starting this :)

Airports in Xinjiang, China are very strict, no rod-like objects allowed on the plane, which includes tripods, even trolley luggage (they say can still take out handle) and walking sticks (they say will provide wheelchair if need to go up/down plane)!

is the Gorillpod allowed then?

Just to add that I've no problems on any BA flight that I've taken so far. All of which are in the Europe and to Barbados.

Any bros here can help if Incheon Airport in Seoul allows tripod to be hand carried? Thanks.

Didn't have any problems at Hanoi Airport with my tripod carried in plain sight at the side of my Kata bag.

I went to Alaska via Japan (Narita) and Seattle. In both cases, they allow. If the tripod exceed a certain length, they will keep for you and return as you disembark.

Heading to Zurich, i assume they allow on the plane right if its not listed in this list.

Heading to Zurich, i assume they allow on the plane right if its not listed in this list.

The list is not complete. Please do proper due diligence and check before your trip.

I have checked in my Manfrotto for over 20 flights now, just the tripod alone —without any case.

It has raised many many eyebrows but nothing has ever happened to it. Just some head up in case you have to check it in.

I just came back from US trip that visited both airports of San-Francisco and San-Diego. There was no problem of carry-on luggage with tripod.:)

If you are travelling to somewhere via Taiwan, also cannot hand-carry tripod. I took Scoot to Seoul via Taipei and had to go through security check again for a 1-hour stopover.

Dear all,

I am going to Japan next month via SQ flight (cabin luggage dimension max. L+W+H <= 115cm). I am thinking of bringing along ThinkTank Urban Disguise 40 along with Sirui N-1004 tripod (440mm height folded). Based on your experience, will it be possible to bring these 2 as hand-carry/cabin luggage? The reason is I am trying to have spare space on my lugguage to bring back gifts.

Hope for your input. Thank you in advance.

Dear all,

I am going to Japan next month via SQ flight (cabin luggage dimension max. L+W+H <= 115cm). I am thinking of bringing along ThinkTank Urban Disguise 40 along with Sirui N-1004 tripod (440mm height folded). Based on your experience, will it be possible to bring these 2 as hand-carry/cabin luggage? The reason is I am trying to have spare space on my lugguage to bring back gifts.

Hope for your input. Thank you in advance.

If you look at the B&H website for your bag it says:

"Carry-On Form Factor

FAA and airline carry-on specifications are subject to change without notice, please check with your airline before designating this case as a carry-on item. Most airlines require carry-on items to have an external linear measurement that is equal to or less than 45.0" (114.3 cm). The external dimensions of this case add up to 29.4" (74.7 cm)"

Thus, based on this information it appears that you should not have a problem with your bag. Not sure about your tripod. Maybe you pack your tripod in checked luggage and then hand carry some of the gifts (along with your bag).

These experiences are as of December 2014.

I had a tripod in a tripod bag at Narita (International connection). They took it out and measured it. It was small enough to pass.

In Myanmar, there was no problem carrying the same tripod (in the same tripod bag) for domestic flights. However, at the check-in counter for an international flight, the gate agents saw the tripod bag and asked me to check the tripod to Singapore.

I have flown into and out of CDG and HAN with my tripod as carry on hand luggage. When flying in and out of CDG, I left the ballhead mounted on the tripod legs in a tripod bag. When flying in and out of HAN, I removed the ballhead and stored it in my shoulder bag and stored the tripod legs in a separate tripod bag.