Tripod help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Can someone provide some info abt reliable tripod and ballhead pls? My budget is round $300~1000. Which brands/models deserve consideration, thx.

Originally posted by tomshen
Can someone provide some info abt reliable tripod and ballhead pls? My budget is round $300~1000. Which brands/models deserve consideration, thx.

Get a Gitzo Carbon Fibre tripod, e.g. G2228 ( think is around $560) and a Arca Swiss B1 or Acratech Ultimate Ball Head.

Regards
CK

Good suggestion.

With your budget, l'll definitely go with a Gitzo CF, but Arca Swiss ball may not fit into the budget, consider the Gitzo ballhead (I think it's G1337). :cool:

Originally posted by ckiang

Get a Gitzo Carbon Fibre tripod, e.g. G2228 ( think is around $560) and a Arca Swiss B1 or Acratech Ultimate Ball Head.

Regards
CK

tomshen u bought the D60 liaoz?

Good tripods are so expensive:confused: Saw many pple use Manfrotto. r they good?

franciskc: I have bought a d60 and played with it for 2 weeks. couldn't like it more;p

i am using Gtizo 1337 + Manfrotto 190B

unless u will carry your tripod for trekking, then a CF tripod will be useful for u....

else can just get the cheap and stable manfrotto 190Pro or 055 and spend more $$ on a good ball head like Gitzo's

IMO, the quality of ball head is more important...

How much does manfrotto 190Pro or 055 cost?

Originally posted by tomshen
How much does manfrotto 190Pro or 055 cost?

...come for SEED first and check out what CP has to offer...given your budget, you can consider getting a CF tripod and invest on a decent ballhead first...unless you're willing push to like...$1200-$1300?

Wanna know price of various tripod models? Visit my webpage. I STRONGLY suggest you to book mark the page... ;)

I think it is better for you to get just a normal alluminium tripod, rather than the carbon fibre one. You save more than half for that. I don't think the Gitzo 2 series carbon fibre is a good choice, as it is just too light and not stable enough for long lens. If you want carbon fibre, then go for the higher range 3 series model. Once you step into carbon fibre, the price difference is not much, so better get the 3 series. You donno want to buy too many carbon fibre tripod, right? For lighter/smaller model, you can just get the Manfrotto 190 or Gitzo G12xx model, no need CF.

If you don't mind alluminium model, my preference is the Gitzo G1224 (2kg+, good for lens upto 300mm I heard), or Gitzo G1325 or 1340 (this is the one I have, but not available in Singapore). I like G1340 for it can go down to ground level, having wing lock type. Price? check my webpage.

You have to ask yourself if you want a 3 sections or 4 sections tripod. I prefer 3 sections as is faster to set up, but is longer to store.

I think one person need at least two tripods (for me...at least), thus you might want to consider getting a more stable one first (Gitzo 3 series), and later get a lighter one for travelling (Gitzo 2 series).

Ballhead, since you have plenty of budget, then get the best and buy only once. I never heard people regret buying Arca Swiss and then upgrade to something else, but heard many complaint about other brand and upgrade later to AS.

wow, thx Kho King! Very useful info to me:)

Status
Not open for further replies.