Tripod help

eys123

Nov 16, 2012
Bedok
i want to get a tripod, ballhead and im not sure which tripod to get and im looking at Sirui brand

Hi, Just bring your heaviest set up to Funan TK Foto and then try it on their Sirui Tripod =)

If not please kindly do a search for "Tripod" using the search engine

Just go to TK Photo and check the Sirui tripods. Bring along your gears to test load... Sirui - not a bad choice

i want to get a tripod, ballhead and im not sure which tripod to get and im looking at Sirui brand

1) Budget?
2) Maximum weigh of your camera+lens+accessories?
3) What do you intend to shoot most... this will also determine the type of tripodhead (Panhead, ballhead, etc etc)
4) What is more comfortable to you in terms of weigh (this will also determine what type of tripod u are looking for - carbon fibre, aluminium, basalt, etc) and height (maximum and minimum).

Answer the above four questions first before you can proceed further.

rhino123 said:
1) Budget?
2) Maximum weigh of your camera+lens+accessories?
3) What do you intend to shoot most... this will also determine the type of tripodhead (Panhead, ballhead, etc etc)
4) What is more comfortable to you in terms of weigh (this will also determine what type of tripod u are looking for - carbon fibre, aluminium, basalt, etc) and height (maximum and minimum).

Answer the above four questions first before you can proceed further.

Budget -
Weight -
Intend to shoot nature/ wildlife
4) carbon fibre would be nice

they gave me 2 choice N-2204 and N-1204

eys123 said:

If you were there, why didn't you ask them what the difference is and try them out for yourself?

If you weren't, then it's time to get your bum down there to... Yes you guessed it, ask them what the difference is and try them out for yourself!

I believe one is carbon fibre and one is aluminium, different are the weight and cost,
so see which one you prefer, cost more less weight or cost less more weight

and please don't ask us which is good, because you are the one using it.

catchlights said:
I believe one is carbon fibre and one is aluminium, different are the weight and cost,
so see which one you prefer, cost more less weight or cost less more weight

and please don't ask us which is good, because you are the one using it.

Nope. N1204 & N2204 are both carbon fibre. It's the 1004 and 2004 that are aluminum.

1204 and 2204 difference is the size of the tripod and diameter of the leg section. 2204 is a much stronger tripod. 1204 is shorter but lighter.

I'd think the N1204 should be quite adequate for most users. You can see it in the review that it can support a Nikon D3 and a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 combo. Folds into a pretty compact size too.

Get the N2204 if you need the additional height.

I got myself the R2204 as I prefer the extra bit of height and stronger legs.

eys123 said:

Like you, I was looking for a tripod. I searched for about a month: reading the posts here in CS, considering a used one from BnS, googling for info, visiting a few stores & checking prices online to compare.

Two weeks ago, I bought a SLIK Pro 340 AMT (Aluminium,Magnesium & Titanium material) with (SBH-200DQ) Ball-head at a discounted price (< $140) from CP at Marina Square. It's an older model but meets my need for a sturdier, cheaper and relatively lighter option for occasional use. I've enjoyed using it, well-built, and I will be packing it into my luggage for my next flight out soon. SLIK is a Japanese brand but the tripod is made in Thailand.

The posts here taught me that one can have 2 of 3 criteria, but not all 3: Sturdy; Cheap; Light. Eg: Carbon Fibre tripods may be sturdy & light but they're not cheap. It's not easy to choose a tripod, I must say. For a budget conscious choice, there are fewer to choose from. Glad I found one that suits my criteria. Enjoy your hunt.

:cool: :)

Last edited:
1204 and 2204 difference is the size of the tripod and diameter of the leg section. 2204 is a much stronger tripod. 1204 is shorter but lighter.
I haven't seen those two, but the T-1XXX series that I have compared to the R-2XXX series... One more minor difference seems to be that the 2XXX series has retractable spikes (not sure if that's the right term) for the feet but the 1XXX series just has non-spiked feet. Practically speaking it's not a big issue.

Which model do you have in mind and what is your heaviest equipment?

macVince said:
Like you, I was looking for a tripod. I searched for about a month: reading the posts here in CS, considering a used one from BnS, googling for info, visiting a few stores & checking prices online to compare.

Two weeks ago, I bought a SLIK Pro 340 AMT (Aluminium,Magnesium & Titanium material) with (SBH-200DQ) Ball-head at a discounted price ($139) from CP at Marina Square. It's an older model but meets my need for a sturdier, cheaper and relatively lighter option for occasional use. I've enjoyed using it, well-built, and I will be packing it into my luggage for my next flight out soon. SLIK is a Japanese brand but the tripod is made in Thailand.

The posts here taught me that one can have 2 of 3 criteria, but not all 3: Sturdy; Cheap; Light. Eg: Carbon Fibre tripods may be sturdy & light but they're not cheap. It's not easy to choose a tripod, I must say. For a budget conscious choice, there are fewer to choose from. Glad I found one that suits my criteria. Enjoy your hunt.

I did a review on the Slik Pro 400DX. If TS is interested in Slik tripods, then I hope my review will be useful.

I did a review on the Slik Pro 400DX. If TS is interested in Slik tripods, then I hope my review will be useful.

Good review. It was a review I read which prompted me to consider the SLIK PRO; thanks. The one I bought is a lower (cheaper) model.

macVince said:
Good review. It was a review I read which prompted me to consider the SLIK PRO; thanks. The one I bought is a lower (cheaper) model.

Glad that it was helpful to you!