tripod help

Status
Not open for further replies.

incubus

Nov 3, 2004
galaxy far far away
www.shahrulazmi.com
my current and very very very old tripod is falling apart
is it possible to change the tripod head with this model?
SLIK 35DN. made a search but to no avail. or ami i better off getting another tripod.

14709P1010134.JPG

14709P1010137.JPG

Can the head be removed?
Does the shops sell slik heads?
Are the legs still stable?
Are you on a budget?

Looks bad ...... Xmas is coming
Looks like a good excuse to buy yourself a new tripod.
Enjoy

Bro, get a new tripod lar. Looks like its gonna fall apart at any moment. :confused: If I were you, I wouldn't even dare to mount my cam on top of it.

Depending on your budget, you can go for Manfrotto or Slik, or if you can afford to splurge a little more, go for Gitzo or CF ones. Drop by Peninsula Plaza's Cathay Photo store, look for Steven or Chris at the tripod section. Very knowledgeable fellows and will help you in your search for your ideal tripod.

hehe looks real bad huh..
well the legs are still stable, never tried takin the head off tho.
well maybe my budget is ard 70 bucks for a new tripod. but thot dat replacing the head would be a better alternative, pricewise.
any reccomendations for a tripod in the rang eof 70??

thanks for the input

damn ....hehe..I had that same tripod for light carry-around about 10+ yrs ago heh. Never thought I would see another one like that again :) Already retired mine about 8 yrs ago. Cost me about $79 brand new. If I recall it correctly, the screw head will not work with all those third party tripod heads as those tend to have larger screw. Time to retire the tripod...I think it had served you long and well for as long as it can. Depending on your budget you can choose from something for about $200-300 would suffice to get you a pretty good one like the Manfrotto or even the more modern day SIlk. Since you have been using this last one for that long and it does indicate how serious you are about photography...time to up the budget and get alittle better that can last you longer. I have my 190 Manfrotto with two type of tripod head to interchange and I have had this set for almost 10 yrs and there are still in super condition.

$70 bucks will not buy you alot of tripod ( already spend that much about decade ago...time to get with the economy of scale and scale up abit more bro heh) and if you are intending to put some heavy gear on top of it, you would need something abit weighty and strong. BUt if you rarely would use the tripod for long exposure or have long lens shooting situation then you might try looking for a brand like Silk and some of then lesser known brand models to replace this aging warrior. Get a second hand...that is another option. I saw some at second hand shops like Camera Workshop. I am alsonot encoruing you to over spend too...analyse your need and reflect on what you used your previous tripod for and then purchase something according to those same needs.

yep its old... got it from my bro who was into photography last time... im starting to pick it up now. thanks for your reply, was hoping dat someone who has the same kind of tripod would enlighten me. since it wont work with newer slik tripods, guess im on the hunt for a new/used one
currently own a pana FZ1, pana tcon (but rarely use)
basically dats all i plan to put on the tripod. dun know how heavy it is so, would'nt know abt which tripod either...
any reccomendations?

thanks

incubus said:
yep its old... got it from my bro who was into photography last time... im starting to pick it up now. thanks for your reply, was hoping dat someone who has the same kind of tripod would enlighten me. since it wont work with newer slik tripods, guess im on the hunt for a new/used one
currently own a pana FZ1, pana tcon (but rarely use)
basically dats all i plan to put on the tripod. dun know how heavy it is so, would'nt know abt which tripod either...
any reccomendations?

thanks

A Panasonic FZ1...ah. I see. Well forget all those Pro Tripod stuff!!!. You have a "mini" compared to all those DSLR type. Your budget of about $70 ( abit more maybe) is more practical for your camera. Your camera does not suffer from mirror shakes and you have no long heavy lens to contend with. You most likely will use your tripod for taking group shots where you most likely join in the shoot. If you need to take long exposure....I advise you get a remote trigger or set to timer mode to trigger the shutter to take a long exposure shot if that is what you want a tripod for. Your tripod needs are alot limited compare to others with more serious photgraphic needs. The old one you show was infact abit more then you need. So use that as your benchmark and you can't go wrong. Get one with legs like those of the old one.(can be abit thinner but not by too much as you want it to be stable)
Don't get those really thin and small tripod type as they tend to break easy. Not just from use but it might not take hard knocks well. But if your needs are really very mimimum and more for taking group shots with you in the picture too..then something smaller will suit your need then the one you presently have.

your reply was rite on the dot.rite now my basic uses are juz for group photos and for long shutter shots..
so 70 is sufficent for my needs?
would u be so kind to point to me which model. or wat i should look out for?
thanks

incubus said:
your reply was rite on the dot.rite now my basic uses are juz for group photos and for long shutter shots..
so 70 is sufficent for my needs?
would u be so kind to point to me which model. or wat i should look out for?
thanks

You are in luck I think hehe....

Check out the selling page....Zorro18 is selling away a SILK U6600. IT is about the same as the one you have in size.

You can read the details at this site which I located it:

http://www.shopping.com/xPF-Slik_Compact_Video_Tripod_with_Quick_Release_and_Gear_Drive

It is a pretty good one and fine for travelling too. Less then 3pounds and can go to a height of about 56inches. Sturdy enough to last you a long time too. Think about it. And zorro18 is only asking $35 and only 5 month old that is a good buy if there ever was one. Abit bigger then what you might need but at that price...it is worth considering long term in case you want to upgrade to a better and bigger camera. That tripod is enough to even hold the Nikon D70 with its kit lens. So that is pretty good interm of load. And for your long exposure shots, this will be good enough for it too with your light weight camera. Just use the auto timer to set your shutter to fire or a remote sensor to trigger it.

Hope that helps....

LATEST ADDITONAL

Check out Ortega WTS: Tripod - Nikon SL-1200 also....just saw it and it is brand new and just $5 more heh....a Nikon Stand at that. About the same height and spec I would reckon. They are both good tripod for your camera.

if u were me, which would u get??
i for one am a newbie. especially on tripods.
dun know wat factors to look for, but bas on aesthetic appeal. the tripod dats is with the d70 sounds ok, comes wit a bag as well.
price wise both is good since its well below 70 hehe
of course being light and sturdy is one id look out for but by looking at the specifications.............. im drawing blanksss
:dunno:

incubus said:
if u were me, which would u get??
i for one am a newbie. especially on tripods.
dun know wat factors to look for, but bas on aesthetic appeal. the tripod dats is with the d70 sounds ok, comes wit a bag as well.
price wise both is good since its well below 70 hehe
of course being light and sturdy is one id look out for but by looking at the specifications.............. im drawing blanksss
:dunno:

They are both fine but of course hehe...the one with the Nikon name does make it sweeter and brand new more or less. :) They are both fine. You might want to ask the guys about it and maybe take a look at them but I doubt that would be possible as they might be out of your way and you are not yet commited to buy them. I am not sure if the Silk has a bag but if the Nikon one does have one. I say that is one in its favour :)

In terms of looks...I never find tripod to be sexy looking ehhe ..it is just functional. Don't start getting into the looks department...you end up like some of the diehards chasing expensive stuff for their looks and exotic material over practicality. Your needs are very basic and simple, save the extra cash on a nice meal with your love one...think it goes alonger way :)

Either one will do just fine for you lah. I have never really heard of Nikon Making tripods..at the time I am writing this I am too lazy to check lah but if they did they most likely got some OEM to do it and since it does carry their name, it should be up to standard in quality. As for Silk, it has also a long history of making tripods so it is trusted too. Don't take too long to decide hor if not..both sell off then you are the one with the problem of looking all over again hehe.

thanks for yer input, very much appreciated, already in talks wit the nikon one
heheh
the name does sound sweet. looks good with my crumpler nikon camera bag.. hehe
thanks

Hi,
I had one of the tripod head too. Just turn the head anti clock wise and the head will be unscrew. I'm using the leg with other head. If you want a same head, I have one in 90% new in condition. PM me if you are interested.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

If i were you, i'll give the Nikon a pass and get the Slik one. Nikon makes cameras and Slik makes tripods. :thumbsup:

How abt the Slik Sprint Pro GM?

At 890grams, it's light for travelling and would be sturdy enough for your Panasonic FZ1.

I use the tripod bag for the U6600 and back-sling it when I travel and move around.....love my Sprint Pro GM !!! :heart:

Can't remember exactly how much it cost though....You can check with CP..

chiawk said:
Hi,
I had one of the tripod head too. Just turn the head anti clock wise and the head will be unscrew. I'm using the leg with other head. If you want a same head, I have one in 90% new in condition. PM me if you are interested.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

i suppose it fits my current setup...
juz pm u
do get back to me
thanks

will a Slik U8000 do the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.