tripod height?

yinsheng

Mar 12, 2010
Singapore
hi all,

i've been meaning to get a tripod. i was looking at manfrotto 190xprob. but i noticed that its max height is only 146cm. i'm 170cm. so is it too short for me?

what would be a comfortable or optimum minimum height i should be looking at for tripods to fit myself.

thanks for ur suggestions!

I m about 185. My tripod height is about the same as yours. I guess the comfort level for tripod height will differ from person to person.

Cheers:)

serious? but at most like 155 right? is tat sufficient?

a ballhead for instance on the tripod will add another 10 cm or so of height
the rest is the height from base to the viewfinder of ur camera.
getting the viewfinder to be ard the height of ur eye level makes using more comfortable.

a ballhead for instance on the tripod will add another 10 cm or so of height
the rest is the height from base to the viewfinder of ur camera.
getting the viewfinder to be ard the height of ur eye level makes using more comfortable.

Yup. Tripod 146cm + Ballhead 10cm + camera height 10cm = 166cm liao. Your eye not at in your hair right? ;p Should be just nice. But of course, nothing beats lugging your gear down to test it out in real life (which you should always do to assure yourself the tripod + head can hold your camera securely).

Besides that, one could always use a tripod extension block of some sort to elevate the camera height. Alternatively, with a slightly lower camera height, one could use an angle finder for comfort.

I think there was another thread where a very tall person asked about suitable tripods, and someone made a very salient observation that even if you got a suitably high tripod, extended to say above 1.7 or 1.8 meters, generally, for most shots, that tripod height/camera angle would be a bit too high and might not be optimum for (most, general) shots.

Hi, Bring along your heaviest camera and longest lens when you go to buy tripod and head so that you can then know whether the tripod and the head can accept your camera and lens without any vibration. You can also know correct height you need without having to raise the centre pole too much and without causing you to bend your shoulder when looking through the Viewfinder. If the centre pole is raised too much, your camera will be standing on the centre leg instead of three legs. You can also see whether your camera with lens attached is tilted slightly when mounted on the tripod. You can also know the correct weight of the head and tripod whether they can accept the weight of your camera and lens without any side effects. The larger the diameter of the legs the more stable against wind outdoor. No problem when tripod is used indoor where the ground is level.

i see. so its ends up to be at a suitable height? okie. thanks. yeah. some say dun extend the middle portion. but i guess if i dont i'll have to bend really really low.

Last edited: