tripod head budget at $400

Status
Not open for further replies.

egnaro

Dec 19, 2007
Boon Lay, Singapore
dear all,

May I know which tripod head will you recommend at the max of $400?

preferred ballhead, with 360' panning, min 10kg loading capacity. Quick release is a must. Acra-swiss type plate will be a plus point.

You can try kangripoche NB-2A. OP selling less than $400.

Hi egnaro, you got a good budget for a good tripod head

Not sure about their newer Gitzo tripod heads but the older ones I tried was not as smooth.

Markins Q3 has some good reviews as well. One of the lightest ballheads with the highest load to weight ratios you can find. The price might be around that figure. If you got a higher budget, the bigger cousins like M10 and M20 are pretty swell too.

Ryan

Hi egnaro, you got a good budget for a good tripod head

Not sure about their newer Gitzo tripod heads but the older ones I tried was not as smooth.

Markins Q3 has some good reviews as well. One of the lightest ballheads with the highest load to weight ratios you can find. The price might be around that figure. If you got a higher budget, the bigger cousins like M10 and M20 are pretty swell too.

Ryan

thanks for reply,

Forget about the price at the moment, what I can afford now is either one as follow:

Markins M10 (not sure if come with any plate) (made in Korea),
Max load is 40kg

Kangrinpoche NB-2A or 2B (Made in China)?
come with a standard plate
Max load shd be around 35kg

Gitzo GH2780QR (made in Italy)
Max Load 14kg
with leveller on plate

any one know how much and where can i find Arca-swiss monoball B1?

4 above, what u guyz think? of cuz, price of markins M10 a bit over leh...

If price is no object. Check out RRS BH-55 or BH-40. Rocks big time, especially the LR version.

thanks for reply,

Forget about the price at the moment, what I can afford now is either one as follow:

Markins M10 (not sure if come with any plate) (made in Korea),
Max load is 40kg

Kangrinpoche NB-2A or 2B (Made in China)?
Max load shd be around 35kg

Gitzo GH2780QR (made in Italy)
Max Load 14kg
with leveller on plate

any one know how much and where can i find Arca-swiss monoball B1?

4 above, what u guyz think? of cuz, price of markins M10 a bit over leh...

but have to order from oversea right?

Yes and they are more expensive than the Markins.

IIRC, Markins Q3 is selling at $450, M10 at $560 and M20 at $640. Price of the release plate is around $70-80

Yes, thru their website...

I recently purchased the Markins Q3 tripod head to pair with my GT1541... So far, I have no problems with it.... It's light and can carry a load of 30kg... try to consider that one also..

Yeap. It's expensive, too. But you will appreciate the quality, it's one of the best.

Think CAREFULLY. For support equipment, just buy once. After that, if u decide to upgrade, it's gonna cost more $$$.

Decide carefully. Try to separate marketing talks from your needs. Different budget will mean different choices for different people. Most important, u must be happy and comfortable with what u buy. :)

The M10 has a spirit leveler as well.
The last I bought my M10 it came with a plate

Ryan

Yes, thru their website...

I recently purchased the Markins Q3 tripod head to pair with my GT1541... So far, I have no problems with it.... It's light and can carry a load of 30kg... try to consider that one also..

Bro, I see that you have also gotten the same setup and glad to see that you are satisfied with it :)

Arca-Swiss, Acra-Tech, Markins, Really Right Stuff and Kirk Enterprise all produce different grades of professional ballheads capable of holding significant amount of weight but you will need to look at your setup and budget to judge which ballhead will satisfy your need.

What coffee3in1 said is absolutely right, when it comes to support, get the best out there. I got myself the Markins Q3 after trying out Giottos and Manfrotto ballheads and I am very satisfied with it :)

Last edited:
thks everyone for your input.

not to look at the price 1st because I doesn't want the price to affect my decision, if I going to get 1 good Ballhead which last me long enough, I willing to go for the best one for me. :)

Below comment is just my personal opinion.

think RRS is pretty out, I prefer not to get it online, hate the shipping cost and the waiting... If i am going to get RRS, I rather go for Arca-swiss Z1.

never come across kirk... where can i get it? and how is the price like.

kangrinpoche spec, price, and feel look good somehow I do not prefer China product and I don't like the website, it just don't give the product a expensive feel, even B&H, Amazon don't carry their product, above mention do not give me any confident in it... (believe a few of you guy feel the same as me)

Arca-Tech look cool in design, I know that it is a very good brand for tripod head, I alway have a believe that it is either design or practicality. But of cuz it will be in the list.

As for Gitzo Center ballhead, GH2780QR, price, weight & brand is right and it even have spirit leveler on the plate and neck but max load is not too good, only 14KG, of cuz, I may not need such a heavy capacity ball head as I may not have such a heavy setup, the more buffer the merrier isnt it? heehee

Markins M10 look one of the best among all to me. with spirit leveler, good comment from all user in CS, price is decent. If it come with a standard plate, I will go for it, at least it save me $85. Think i have to nego with TK...

sorry to everyone if some of my word is harsh but I prefer to speak out so everyone will be able to understand how I personally feel about these ball head.

Understand your concern with online purchases, however, I had personally ordered an L-bracket from Really Right Stuff and their shipping is FAST. Received the bracket in about 5 days.

Maybe only Q3 doesn't come with a standard plate. You will need to ask TK about it.

Understand your concern with online purchases, however, I had personally ordered an L-bracket from Really Right Stuff and their shipping is FAST. Received the bracket in about 5 days.

Maybe only Q3 doesn't come with a standard plate. You will need to ask TK about it.

yup, 5 days.

Q3 is priced very competitively; and doesn't include plate. There're different plates for different cams.

Since we're on the topic of plates :) , think about L-plates also. Coz the drop-notch isn't the best for portrait mount. Only 2 companies makes L-plates. i.e. RRS and Kirk - gotta order online oso.

yup, 5 days.

Q3 is priced very competitively; and doesn't include plate. There're different plates for different cams.

Since we're on the topic of plates :) , think about L-plates also. Coz the drop-notch isn't the best for portrait mount. Only 2 companies makes L-plates. i.e. RRS and Kirk - gotta order online oso.

any idea how much is RRS ballhead? at the mean time i will check up on Kirk as well.

i am currently using AcraTech Ultimate, its with me for some years now. while i do not have a heavy set-up, its weight performance ratio, user end features are top rate (that intriguing design offers a wide range of cam adjustments). i will say in the event i need another ballhead its got to be from AcraTech! ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.