Tripod for tall people?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmonte

Aug 5, 2009
Hi

Have some qns regarding tripod:
-how do i choose tripod which is suitable for me?
-what are the things that i should take note of when buying?
-Is there any recommendation for budget newbie like me?

Fyi: i m currently using canon 450d with EF-S 18-200mm lens, my height is 183cm
Thank you in advance! :)

Hi

Hihi, Most of the answers can be found here

190XPROB with 486RC2 is a gd start :)

Tall, eh? For Manfrotto, try the 055 series. IIRC, it's taller (with centre column extended fully) and goes up to about 175cm.

Drop by www.zsurui.com and check the taller height tripods offered. Some reaching 1.69m or more with center column fully extended.

Thank you so much for the info!!!! :):D

don't bother to find a 183cm tall tripod... you have to deduct the distance between the viewfinder and tripod mount... else you'll be like me, tip toe when need to see through the viewfinder... :embrass:

I'm around the same height as you,181cm,I use Gitai Yonnuo tripod,it's a decent brand with a decent stock ballhead,too bad,i stupidly sold it to get a cheaper head which I regret very much and stuck with a small 30 dollar tripod that cant hold my set-up at vertical,you can google it,there's a revie of it from another CSer at clubsnap

don't bother to find a 183cm tall tripod... you have to deduct the distance between the viewfinder and tripod mount... else you'll be like me, tip toe when need to see through the viewfinder... :embrass:

oh i see... haha ... but at least wanna get something decent height so i dun need to keep on bending .... thanks for the advice!
:)

oh i see... haha ... but at least wanna get something decent height so i dun need to keep on bending .... thanks for the advice!
:)

oh ya... sorry to include ballhead height... my tripod is 143cm tall... i thought it's rather short... but after adding ballhead and distance between viewfinder and tripod mount, it's now 170cm... i am 170cm... therefore have to tip toe to see through viewfinder... :cry:

hope this helps...

Hi

I am also about the same height as you.
At first, I was finding tripods of this height but after a few shoots with tripod, with the camera directly at my eye level, with that angle, most of my shots are not nice.

As we are quite tall, we should go lower, especially for some landscapes & architectural shots and not at eye level.. ;)

At first, I was finding tripods of this height but after a few shoots with tripod, with the camera directly at my eye level, with that angle, most of my shots are not nice.

As we are quite tall, we should go lower, especially for some landscapes & architectural shots and not at eye level.. ;)

this sound logical... thanks for the advice...:D

oh ya... sorry to include ballhead height... my tripod is 143cm tall... i thought it's rather short... but after adding ballhead and distance between viewfinder and tripod mount, it's now 170cm... i am 170cm... therefore have to tip toe to see through viewfinder... :cry:

hope this helps...

wow... this add up to another 27cm? hmm.... i guess i really need to read up more on tripod before purchasing one... thanks !

well, while that is not untrue, and low angles can work

there are also times when a high angle works too.

i am not that tall, so i extend my tripod to the highest possible level and base composition on live view before i just trigger the shutter (with live view off, because k20d live view is a bit retarded).

I am 1.85m tall, and i use a gitzo 0 series tripod (only ~140cm incl ballhead, 800gm) - You do not need the tripod+ballhead to be at the same height as you.

Furthermore, i prefer a super light tripod so i will bring it out all the time :)

well, while that is not untrue, and low angles can work

there are also times when a high angle works too.

i am not that tall, so i extend my tripod to the highest possible level and base composition on live view before i just trigger the shutter (with live view off, because k20d live view is a bit retarded).
Ya, but if you want low angles (hip level) shots, a tall tripod will come in the way. :D

?

my current tripod, max height is 170+ cm

min height is 18 cm...

your "maximum height" is with center column extended?
I'm 1.87m. If I extend my center column fully, I can get the camera to eye-level, but concurring with what bro icarus said, I usually prefer shooting from a slightly lower perspective.
That of course means the "crouching tiger hidden dragon" posture, or else propping my butt on a ledge to rest ;) I guess I must carry camera bag, tripod, and folding chair next time I go out shooting! haha.

* some tripods with 3 long sections and a tall center column would restrict you from getting really low angles, as the center column contacts with the ground.

Last edited:
your "maximum height" is with center column extended?
not sure, i just parroting what i remember from the tripod specs, actual height might be more because of ballhead addition.

it is taller than me though, and i'm about 1.7 ;)

Thank you and i really appreciate it ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.