tripod for newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boltstorm

Jan 15, 2005
hello i;m a newbie....i just got a Fz20 and i want to get a cheap tripod...anyone have any recommendations? i really don't know what type to get....

don't u get a freebie tripod? :dunno:

nope...panasonic doesn't give tripod for this cam

you can try Slik U6000, U8000 and U9000.. pretty good newbie tripods :)

OzOn3 said:
you can try Slik U6000, U8000 and U9000.. pretty good newbie tripods :)

hi gongxi gongxi facai,

me also intend get a tripod, but wondering izzit necessary get the slik tripod or just get a no-name brand like go carrefour $20+ get one.

can someone compare the benefits of this slik tripod.

:)

ranger said:
hi gongxi gongxi facai,

me also intend get a tripod, but wondering izzit necessary get the slik tripod or just get a no-name brand like go carrefour $20+ get one.

can someone compare the benefits of this slik tripod.

hmm... go for slik lar. solid material, solid hold, solid pictures. then again, depends very much on the weight of the things u gonna mount on the tripod. SLIK!!! :thumbsup:

not sure how old u r.
but carrying a heavy tripod for long hours is similar to carrying a rifle during ur route march...
it gets damn heavy as the distance continue...
so if u r going to carry it and work around, get a light one (usually expensive), if u dun mind the weight or aint going to carry it for a long time get a slightly heavier one.

other things to consider when getting a tripod.

-amount of load it can handle.
-maximum height it can reach.
-material

so far these are the factors i can think of.

I'm selling a transparent one that extends up to 1.5m with quick release plate and a carry case for $20 if you are interested. I bought it for holiday use but have only use it 3 times, still very new.

Call me if you are interested 93665287.

how much would the slik brand one cost and where to get it? would the carrefour ones be able to support my cam?

Best to bring down camera yourself to test it. Do not forget you might want to get an external flash and wide angle convertor in the future, get something that support heavier if you can carry it. You can go to Cathay Photo to try out the tripods first before you buy, no harm doing that.

hi guys,

me a small time user, just thinking to get a tripod for my canon s50 & alos use it for my sony videocam.

i'm not sure if the carrefour brand is sufficient, how yr comments ?

ranger said:
hi guys,

me a small time user, just thinking to get a tripod for my canon s50 & alos use it for my sony videocam.

i'm not sure if the carrefour brand is sufficient, how yr comments ?

The Carrefour brand or a cheap Digipro tripod is enough for a lightweight Canon S50. (think they cost like $20 or so)

But I dont know how heavy ur videocam is....cos these tripods are not designed for heavy loads like 1kg and above.

If ur videocam is the older and heavier types, or the Canon XL-1 (yeah right) for that mattar than it will not be sufficient.

Its all abt the Load that the tripod needs to support.

Well then look for tripods with a quick release that has an extra spring-loaded stud fot nuse with both Video and digicam. My tripod that I am selling is just for that, it even comes with a level gauge.

PM or SMS 93665287 if you are interested, I 'm selling it for $20

Winston said:
The Carrefour brand or a cheap Digipro tripod is enough for a lightweight Canon S50. (think they cost like $20 or so)

But I dont know how heavy ur videocam is....cos these tripods are not designed for heavy loads like 1kg and above.

If ur videocam is the older and heavier types, or the Canon XL-1 (yeah right) for that mattar than it will not be sufficient.

Its all abt the Load that the tripod needs to support.

hi,

my sony cam is a small one - plus tape & battery maybe ard same weight as s50.

will it be overkill for a slik tripod. how much is a entry level slik tripod ?
what's so special for this slik brand ?

ranger said:
hi,

my sony cam is a small one - plus tape & battery maybe ard same weight as s50.

will it be overkill for a slik tripod. how much is a entry level slik tripod ?
what's so special for this slik brand ?

Nothing is "special" just than SLIK is one of the reptutable brand of tripod makers, just like Manfrotto, Gitzo...etc...etc

Entry level SLIKs are above $50+ i think.

No point getting branded and heavier tripods if u intend to use it on a lightweight Canon Powershot S50.

The Digipro is much lighter, shorter when kept and for the S50 is good enough.

(Note: with the lightweight tripod, do watch out when using it in Strong Winds....it might tip and bring ur S50 to the ground....ouch)

Unless If u are getting something like a Canon Pro1 with a Speedlite then a tripod which can take a bigger load is recommended.

Winston said:
Nothing is "special" just than SLIK is one of the reptutable brand of tripod makers, just like Manfrotto, Gitzo...etc...etc

Entry level SLIKs are above $50+ i think.

No point getting branded and heavier tripods if u intend to use it on a lightweight Canon Powershot S50.

The Digipro is much lighter, shorter when kept and for the S50 is good enough.

(Note: with the lightweight tripod, do watch out when using it in Strong Winds....it might tip and bring ur S50 to the ground....ouch)

Unless If u are getting something like a Canon Pro1 with a Speedlite then a tripod which can take a bigger load is recommended.

hee hee ... ya noted to test air current before leaving it 5m away :bsmilie:

but come to think of it, carry a tripod with my s50 & videocam is such a load to NZ, hmmm is tripod really necessary - how often you use it ?? :)

ranger said:
hee hee ... ya noted to test air current before leaving it 5m away :bsmilie:

but come to think of it, carry a tripod with my s50 & videocam is such a load to NZ, hmmm is tripod really necessary - how often you use it ?? :)

Hmm taking nice scenry of NZ at dusk or low light might require a tripod, since the S50 will need a longer shutter speed.

Of course taking pictures in bright sunlight, tripod is almost not needed.

Maybe a nice sunset of NZ will be a nice photo to take with a tripod? ;)

(TIP: use the self-timer of S50 to trip the shutter and reduce the vibrations of u depressing the shutter)

Boltstorm said:
how much would the slik brand one cost and where to get it? would the carrefour ones be able to support my cam?
My one and only tripod is the $20 carrefour one which I had for more than 2 years already. It's not bad actually, comes with a quick release to get my Fuji S602Z out from the tripod quickly for snapshots. :)

Hitman said:
My one and only tripod is the $20 carrefour one which I had for more than 2 years already. It's not bad actually, comes with a quick release to get my Fuji S602Z out from the tripod quickly for snapshots. :)

:cheers: for carrefour brand tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.