Tripod for long exposure shots

StrikeZero

Sep 18, 2010
Hi, can anyone tell me which tripod should i buy for canon 550d, i'm interested in taking long exposure shots.

StrikeZero said:
Hi, can anyone tell me which tripod should i buy for canon 550d, i'm interested in taking long exposure shots.

What is your budget?

StrikeZero said:

U shud buy a miller solo carbon fibre tripod and it's new compass fluid head.... Google for info of the above mentioned items...

It'll be better to state your budget. Tripod prices have a very big range

Just search on CS for "tripod". 5,000+ threads for you.

Refer to my poll thread in kopitiam on tripod to have a feel what brand of tripod most CS members are using.

thanks for the reply, my budget is around $50 - $100

not able to stretch your budget some more?
I feel that <$100 budget makes it hard to get a reliable one that can last you say... a few years. If it were my choice I would save up a bit more to get something like a Benro/Sirui... :)

StrikeZero said:

Remember that you get what you pay for. Personally I would up the budget to 160 and get the sirui t1004x with ball head.

oh ok, thx for the advice, i guess i will save more money first.

The other homies have advised you to up your budget.

Look at it from this point of view. Would you spend peanuts to support your thousand dollar investment? What if it is not stable enough that a light wind can easy topple your gear and it goes crashing down on the ground, cracking the lens, and a host of other problems I don't dare to imagine.

So, your support should be able to support 2 to 3 times your heaviest gear.

HTH.

The other homies have advised you to up your budget.

Look at it from this point of view. Would you spend peanuts to support your thousand dollar investment? What if it is not stable enough that a light wind can easy topple your gear and it goes crashing down on the ground, cracking the lens, and a host of other problems I don't dare to imagine.

So, your support should be able to support 2 to 3 times your heaviest gear.

HTH.

100% agree.

Also depends on the lens you could be buying in the near future. If you are going for the super zooms, the weight will be heavier. so maybe you may want to invest in a 8Kg or more supporting head then as mentioned by HTH above, a sturdier and stronger tripod.

As i travel a lot, which includes 4WD and long distance moto-xing to get to my sites, i shy away from carbon fibre and go for sturdy and rigid tripods. yes it is heavier...but you know for sure it will not fail on you. Not forgetting, your tripod must be able to take knocks.

Cheers
Chistine

I got mine recently from MS Color at AMK hub. The brand is " Vanguard" . The uncle intro one. So far i use ok leh. I bought it at $148