Tripod for FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

utopwe

May 21, 2005
Hello people...

Just like to ask for recommendations for a tripod for my FZ5. My budget for the tripod is preferably below $100. My main purpose for getting the tripod is to allow me to take those night shots.

Many thanks in advance :)

utopwe said:
Hello people...

Just like to ask for recommendations for a tripod for my FZ5. My budget for the tripod is preferably below $100. My main purpose for getting the tripod is to allow me to take those night shots.

Many thanks in advance :)

FZ5 is very light, so any tripod should be able to support it.
A light tripod is good when carrying it during shoot. However, the camera tends to shake easily whenever there is a gust of wind or during shutter press!
Tripod too heavy, you have to endure the weight whenever you carry it.

I go for the semi-heavy one (2.5kg). Coz pic quality is what I want! No point carrying a light tripod and have the risk of camera shake.

LifeWorld said:
FZ5 is very light, so any tripod should be able to support it.
A light tripod is good when carrying it during shoot. However, the camera tends to shake easily whenever there is a gust of wind or during shutter press!
Tripod too heavy, you have to endure the weight whenever you carry it.

I go for the semi-heavy one (2.5kg). Coz pic quality is what I want! No point carrying a light tripod and have the risk of camera shake.

hmm... any specific model that you can recommend?

utopwe said:
hmm... any specific model that you can recommend?

Can't recommend any la. You might want to look at the SLIK series instead. Do a search in the forum or Net or perhaps the FZ5 owners can let you know what tripod they are using and their experience with it.... :dunno:

budget less than $100 can go for slik sprint pro gm? good, small, light and compact for the FZ5.

I'll suggest you the Slik Spring Pro, not the mini edition.
for me, if i get a heavy tripod it defeats the purpose of getting the FZ5 in the 1st place (portable + good picture quality).
Heavy tripods, IMHO, are for places with big wind. Overseas, I've been to places where wind is so strong that they'll push you a few steps if caught unawares. Sg got no such wind.
The other day, i climbed to the highest point in NTU. Wind was blowing, (enough to blow my lens cap up and strap flapping). The SSP, fully extended on 4 legs, was v v stable. I took the below..
What I saw (i tried my best to get the effect..)
watisaw.jpg

What the FZ 5 saw (8 seconds, F2.8, downsized)
uncropped.jpg

Crop of what FZ5 saw (downsized)
cropped.jpg

oh btw.. the slik sprint pro - $85, though dominator got it for $79 i think...
Just to let you know, both of us got the same config : which is to add 1 more manfrotto quick release adapter. speeds up removal of tripod and stuff.. +$30 ($28 for dominator, but his looks... different)

thanks for the recommendation... Actually I be bringing the tripod over to Europe for my backpacking... but dont think the wind will be that strong bah....

notice u r from ntu... which year? I was from ntu too... graduating this july... hee hee

heh heh Year 3. CE.
Feel free to look for me in hall 2 if u wanna haf a look at the tripod that I haf. ;)
For all practical common sense in me, i'd think lighter the tripod the better.. hmmm maybe u'll want to look at the mini instead.. it's lighter by quite a bit i think.. but unstable if fully extended..

heh i suggest u spend some time learning how to use the cam.. i learnt abit b4 i went hk last year.. end up 1st 2 days the photos like sh*t, then the next 8 days they get better.. but ok lar, i was in full Aperture mode all the time.. :)

yup i got it for tripod $79(Peninsula Plaza 2nd floor forgot name) and Manfroto quick release $28(TCW, Peninsula Shopping Ctr).
Should be one of the best price you can find around... :bsmilie:

now is it slightly over your budget of $100?? ;)

I got one of those cheapo tripod for $28 for my FZ5. Comes with a quick release plate that also have the ball head thingy. The bad thing about this is that the ball head sratches the camera when I accidentally turn the camera.
Anyone can tell me how to prevent that? Now I actually stick some film to it to protect the cam.

Beside that, it works fairly well. Here's the result:
boatquay3.jpg

actually all tripod can work well.
only when your equipments are heavy, such as with long lens, windy locations...you need something to suit you.
for travelling i wonder how many people will bring along their more 2kg tripod and imagine if they are explorer with backpack! :eek:

I concur. a $28 tripod can do very well. Tripod issues really occur only when you have a DSLR + a long lens (IMHO). but really, I've not seen one with ball head that cost below $50..
amazing.. can post a pic of ur tripod? LOL and can share where to buy it?

anyone gg to get the slik sprint tripods? if go together will get a better bargain? ;)

look for josephteo.. think he's gonna get 1...

Vstrom said:
I got one of those cheapo tripod for $28 for my FZ5. Comes with a quick release plate that also have the ball head thingy. The bad thing about this is that the ball head sratches the camera when I accidentally turn the camera.
Anyone can tell me how to prevent that? Now I actually stick some film to it to protect the cam.

steinsizer brand from mustafa? saw one the other day...
cheap, $35 with QR plate and spirit level....but the legs are abit wobbly when unclamped. but once you tighten them, they are ok.
for the price, you get a removable ball head with QR plate c/w spirit level and you can do low level macros.

unseen said:
I concur. a $28 tripod can do very well. Tripod issues really occur only when you have a DSLR + a long lens (IMHO). but really, I've not seen one with ball head that cost below $50..
amazing.. can post a pic of ur tripod? LOL and can share where to buy it?

Erm.. I dun really know whether you can call it a ball head. It's the square piece of plastic that u screw to your camera. Than next to it, there's a metal ball. For what purpose, can someone enlighten me?

It's the yellow "nikon" tripod which I'm sure alot of nikon user know. Free gift from AP, I think. Can't find on Nikon website, maybe it's some pirated product from china. Anyways.. it's light and serve it's purpose.

ermz.. no no it's not a ballhead..
ball head looks something like that..

ballhead.jpg

big difference...

LOL it's ok.. anyway ballhead and the panheads work v differently.. i used a ballhead then fell in love wif it.. ease of use is (for me) no. 1!! heh i end up using pan head like a ball head by losening all the things and tighten them when i need..
:( tot could find a cheap one to keep as spare..

Status
Not open for further replies.