Tripod for DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do i select a suitable tripod for my DSLR use? I know of cheap ones $20 to $30 that are sold in camera shops, however, I'm looking for one that is good and sturdy and also taking the budget into consideration also.
I'm looking for one in the range for $120 to $150 for a tripod, i see popular brands in CS like manfrotto, Benro, Gitzo. How do i choose between these brands?

Hmmm i think monfrotto may fit your budget. and it's quite a good brand. Sturdy too. wait for headshotx to reply to this. If i never remember wrongly, he bought quite a cheap tripod and gave quite good reviews for it :) forgot the brand

Manfrotto Basic tripod. I bought a lousy 100+ one and throw it after a few months using it, b4 changing to manfrotto. I throw it into the dustbin at a bus stop :bsmilie:

Actually I realise you don't need heavy equipment to exceed the limit of the tripod, your body weight will. Sometimes unknowingly u apply your body weight on the tripod when trying to frame. Those grips on the cheapo legs will slowly give way and get shorter :)

The manfrotto basic tripod have screw tighten grips which are fantastic tight once u tighten them. I can put substantial weight on it and still it doesn't budge abit.

It's heavy too, good for windy times. But of course if you are travelling, you might wanna invest more on a graphite one :) It's very light and just as strong as the basic one.

Last edited:
thanks all for the feedback, and the useful link on guide for tripods,

well, it seems that manfrotto is kind of a affordable tripod series for me, i still an beginner into DSLR, the tripods are mainly for some of my macro and landscape shooting purpose, and i believe it is important to obtain more sharp image since my lens doesn't have IS.

What are some of the manfrotto models that are around the price of $120??

How do i select a suitable tripod for my DSLR use? I know of cheap ones $20 to $30 that are sold in camera shops, however, I'm looking for one that is good and sturdy and also taking the budget into consideration also.
I'm looking for one in the range for $120 to $150 for a tripod, i see popular brands in CS like manfrotto, Benro, Gitzo. How do i choose between these brands?
simple....go to the showrooms and ask to test. Take note that unlike those $70-ish tripod, you still need to buy a camera head on top of the tripod cost.

some ways to reduce shake is to use wireless/wired trigger.

i bought a SLIK Sprint PRO from CP quite some itme ago. Don't think its the best for its price, but its rather compact and not too heavy and fits into my luggage just nice for travel! =] Haven't encountered strong enough winds to see it sway though, but i'll have to be wary of the maximum load it can take.

You may consider a benro too. Nowadays I just use a monopod from manfrotto bought from CP.

i bought a SLIK Sprint PRO from CP quite some itme ago. Don't think its the best for its price, but its rather compact and not too heavy and fits into my luggage just nice for travel! =] Haven't encountered strong enough winds to see it sway though, but i'll have to be wary of the maximum load it can take.

I too have the SLIK Sprint Pro which I got for under $100 though I can't recall from where (could be CP). It's great for beginners, I feel. It's sturdy, light enough to carry around and fits in my luggage too. I would recommend it :) (I too am not sure how much load it can take but it seems pretty strong regardless)

hmm.. Yong Nuo Y-560 3, from your review seems good enough for basic usage, however, looking at the con side, about the greasy feel, makes me think twice whether i should get tt.. shall go to CP and take alook at other tripods this weekend and make a decision. thanks everyone for the info~

Status
Not open for further replies.