Tripod for Canon Powershot A80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devache

Aug 9, 2004
Serangoon
devache.blogspot.com
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum after being introduced here by a office colleague.

I own a Powershot A80 and after an outing with some friends to snap photos of the Singapore Fireworks Festival 2004, I've decided that a tripod would be a worthwhile investment.

I've being surfing around for good tripod brands, and names like Slik and Olympus have appeared on my to-buy list.

To be specific, I'm quite interested in the U6600 in this thread:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=86937

Is it more appropriate to buy a first hand stand or should I go to the second mkt?

Also, I would like to reaffirm that the Canon Powershot A80 will fit on the tripod, although I've been told that most tripods would fit the Powershot A80.

I'll be making a trip down to probably SLS & Peninsula Plaza next Saturday to go hunting for the tripod if I don't get it from the thread above, any good shops to recommend?

Thanks for your replies in advance,

Janan

Any shops to recommend?..

Did u take your photos with that tripod?

I've seen ur galleries and I must say some of the photos are very well-taken.

hi abt your question on will it fit on the tripod.. the screw thread size is universal standard.. any tripod should be able to use. :D

Haha, yeh, I asked an office colleague today and he, being an avid photographer, also confirmed the same thing.

Thanks for your reply though.

Every tripod is unique, my friend even explained to me that certain tripod have 'balls' to allow for easy manouenvering when adjusting the camera, whilst others have 'jacks'.

Are there any 'ball' tripods within the range of SGD60-70?

Or with that budget, I should be looking at the 'jack' versions?

A SLIK U6600 2nd hand is good..around $25-30..
That is...if you won't be upgrading your camera soon...

Devache said:
Haha, yeh, I asked an office colleague today and he, being an avid photographer, also confirmed the same thing.

Every tripod is unique, my friend even explained to me that certain tripod have 'balls' to allow for easy manouenvering when adjusting the camera, whilst others have 'jacks'.

Slik Spirits Tripod MINI
$75
but max height only 130cm if i am not wrong

djchris said:
really? where to get? :cry: i get a cheap not big brand ones.. for $25

djchris said:

I doubt I'll be upgrading.. but I'm quite happy with myself for picking the right first digicam..

The A80, for beginners and offers upgrade options

I won't be getting the SLik u6600... he sold it oredi..

:((

sorry devache for hijacking your thread...got a question that i hope some forummers will help to enlighten

just curious,does it makes any difference if we used a mini tripod or a normal one(is there such a thing???) on a A80???

i'm looking at a tripod too,but just for taking scenery shots,am not into something that professional yet... :sweat:

Rk1980 said:
sorry devache for hijacking your thread...got a question that i hope some forummers will help to enlighten

just curious,does it makes any difference if we used a mini tripod or a normal one(is there such a thing???) on a A80???

i'm looking at a tripod too,but just for taking scenery shots,am not into something that professional yet... :sweat:
mini are those for table one u talking abt? very small one..

if u wish to take scenery.. u should get normal tripod as u say it... near to ur height.. go check out with cam shops for some egs.. :D

starry said:
mini are those for table one u talking abt? very small one..

if u wish to take scenery.. u should get normal tripod as u say it... near to ur height.. go check out with cam shops for some egs.. :D

thks for the reply starry...ya i suppose so,the minis shd be those that can be used to on the table. :)

looks like i need to do some searching ard before purchasing one... ;)

Devache said:

devache - sorry to post on your thread.

what is the difference between "ball" and "jack" ? thanks.

i seen those prof photographers using the one leg stand tripod. What is it call huh? Is it cheaper than the 3 legged tripod?? what is the purpose? isit 3 legged type for videocamera, 1 leg stand type for photo taking?

amlim said:
devache - sorry to post on your thread.

what is the difference between "ball" and "jack" ? thanks.

Hi amlim,

I'm not too sure myself being a beginner.

Perhaps one of the pros here can help us?

Souphamster said:
i seen those prof photographers using the one leg stand tripod. What is it call huh? Is it cheaper than the 3 legged tripod?? what is the purpose? isit 3 legged type for videocamera, 1 leg stand type for photo taking?
that is call monopod,that is good when you are in a crowded area or in an event~Cheaper? i not sure...

Monopods are generally cheaper than higher end tripods, but they serve a different purpose all together. If using a p&s, I doubt there's much point in using a monopod since its already so light. Furthermore, a monopod cost about the same as a smaller tripod, hence it much more worthwhile and sensible to get a tripod for a p&s like A80.

i have a tripod, i tried to use for my digital v.cam. Have a nightmare using it, i think it is meant for photography camera, the turning to 90degree and roundabout turn was very stiff, so in the end, my video was so lousy. Have not try using it for photography because the screw below have to be tighten using a screwdriver, it is not those plastic type that can lock by twisting...(attaching camera base to the tripod holder).

Does cheaper range of tripod have the same kind of screw like i am using now? or its a old model?

Status
Not open for further replies.