Tripod for a backpacking trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r00ki3

Aug 26, 2009
North-East Line
Hi,
I would like to know if it is practical to bring a tripod along on a backpacking trip. This will be my first backpacking trip with my DSLR, and i will love to capture lots of pictures..including sunrise/sunsets/night scenery..

Is it too cumbersome?..will your travel partner/s grumble and sulk when u set up your gears just to capture the moment? when all he/she wants to do is just go sightseeing and take simple shots of the scenery..

I would like to hear from the experienced and those who have gone for such trips. Thanks!

For what it is worth, I would bring my tripod along.
It is unfortunately not the lightest or the most compact traveller's tripod. But still if my backpacking trip have been planned such that I foresee lots of photographic opportunities especially landscape either in the day time or nights, I would mount it on my backpack and just go. It's another extra 1.4 kg - and for the pictures that it allows me, it's worth all the trouble.

i brought a gorilla pod for my last trip...
less than 500gr :)
but most of my photo become low angle >_<

Also got a gorilla pod to take while traveling. It's pretty light and easy to pack.

For what it is worth, I would bring my tripod along.
It is unfortunately not the lightest or the most compact traveller's tripod. But still if my backpacking trip have been planned such that I foresee lots of photographic opportunities especially landscape either in the day time or nights, I would mount it on my backpack and just go. It's another extra 1.4 kg - and for the pictures that it allows me, it's worth all the trouble.

That's what I thought so too..i just hope that my kakis for the trip will not sulk too much as they, if not all, are not that enthusiastic about photography hehehe

That's what I thought so too..i just hope that my kakis for the trip will not sulk too much as they, if not all, are not that enthusiastic about photography hehehe

Hmm... yupe. That's why I either:
1. Travel with photographers on photography trips
2. Travel on my own (our own) and stop whenever we like to and as often.
3. Go with the whole big family and struggle like crazy to shoot while herding the children.
:D;)

Also got a gorilla pod to take while traveling. It's pretty light and easy to pack.

It did come across my mind to get one, but like archlover said the angle would be an issue, and I believe it doesn't reach a comfortable height a normal tripod can, correct me if I'm wrong about this.

Hmm... yupe. That's why I either:
1. Travel with photographers on photography trips
2. Travel on my own (our own) and stop whenever we like to and as often.
3. Go with the whole big family and struggle like crazy to shoot while herding the children.
:D;)

haha...I guess I will just leave my tripod behind if it's number 3...;p
I hope I can join one of the many photography trips organised in here.It will be fun and a learning experience for me :)

Hi,
I would like to know if it is practical to bring a tripod along on a backpacking trip. This will be my first backpacking trip with my DSLR, and i will love to capture lots of pictures..including sunrise/sunsets/night scenery..

the question you have to ask yourself is:

1) is this a photography trip?

if yes, then go ahead, you have to bring a tripod. the first europe trip i made, i thought i could rely on high iso. two years on, i realise that was a bad decision and i missed out a lot of opportunities in italy because of that.

when i mean photography trip, i mean you visit locations just for the sole purpose of pictures. you might spend an hour or two enjoying your meal, especially at mid day when lighting conditions are not good; you might tour a museum for a bit, but your primary purpose is photography. the locations you visit are purely for photography; it isn't "i want to visit this place for its history and it isn't goign to be nice in photographs so i'll snap one or two".

2) how flexible are your partners?

there is nothing that cannot be overcome. i prefer to travel alone, but sometimes you can travel with people simply to drive down costs. a single room is always going to cost a lot more than a double room split up. hostels are an exception.

if your friends are following your plans closely, fine.

if not, discuss with them the possibility of you taking off for a day or two to do what you want to do. no point trying to clash with others and tell them to go to a place that only a photographer would be interested in.

when i went to amsterdam, i wasn't at all interested in amsterdam, more in a lighthouse that was about 2 hours away. so i asked them, do you want to go? they said no, so i said, ok, i'll take off on my own for this day, and i went myself. it wasn't the most fun day in the trip, although it was definitely no less enjoyable; but i remember it the most vividly, and it was photographically most rewarding.

if your friends are not flexible at all, then make do lor. decide whether they will grumble so much that you really won't have time to set up a tripod and shoot, wait for the light.

when you have a clear purpose, do what you have to do.

the question you have to ask yourself is:

1) is this a photography trip?

if yes, then go ahead, you have to bring a tripod. the first europe trip i made, i thought i could rely on high iso. two years on, i realise that was a bad decision and i missed out a lot of opportunities in italy because of that.

when i mean photography trip, i mean you visit locations just for the sole purpose of pictures. you might spend an hour or two enjoying your meal, especially at mid day when lighting conditions are not good; you might tour a museum for a bit, but your primary purpose is photography. the locations you visit are purely for photography; it isn't "i want to visit this place for its history and it isn't goign to be nice in photographs so i'll snap one or two".

2) how flexible are your partners?

there is nothing that cannot be overcome. i prefer to travel alone, but sometimes you can travel with people simply to drive down costs. a single room is always going to cost a lot more than a double room split up. hostels are an exception.

if your friends are following your plans closely, fine.

if not, discuss with them the possibility of you taking off for a day or two to do what you want to do. no point trying to clash with others and tell them to go to a place that only a photographer would be interested in.

when i went to amsterdam, i wasn't at all interested in amsterdam, more in a lighthouse that was about 2 hours away. so i asked them, do you want to go? they said no, so i said, ok, i'll take off on my own for this day, and i went myself. it wasn't the most fun day in the trip, although it was definitely no less enjoyable; but i remember it the most vividly, and it was photographically most rewarding.

if your friends are not flexible at all, then make do lor. decide whether they will grumble so much that you really won't have time to set up a tripod and shoot, wait for the light.

when you have a clear purpose, do what you have to do.

Hi night86mare,

1. For me it is, as I'm gearing up for this trip with the objective of capturing as many images as possible. I have planned it as such that I will mostly visit photographic locations on an ideal time of the day, as much as possible.

2. I have discussed this and we reach an understanding that when such moment comes, they will leave me alone and will continue with whatever itineries they have planned.

Hey, do you mean the Maarken Lighthouse?!..I was there too, but too bad I had with me only a simple digicam when I was in Amsterdam..Well my intention wasn't in photography at that time..I was taking lots of beautiful sceneries in my head though...hehehehe..
But Holland/Amsterdam was a beautiful place too.pity I didn't own a DSLR that time..

Thanks for the detailed advise!!.. :) you have put everything in perspective now..
For this trip my motto will be 'TRIPOD - don't leave home without it' ;)

depends how heavy your camera system is. If like 50D + Flash + 50-250 IS, those $30 something aluminium tripods will do. Next would be the Yong Nuo, Benro for something more sturdy..

It comes down to after carrying your gear, how much weight are you willing to put up for a tripod.

depends how heavy your camera system is. If like 50D + Flash + 50-250 IS, those $30 something aluminium tripods will do. Next would be the Yong Nuo, Benro for something more sturdy..

It comes down to after carrying your gear, how much weight are you willing to put up for a tripod.

well, as long as it doesn't create much discomfort and serious back aches later would be fine for me.
Thanks for the pionters!

everywhere I go I will bring along a tripod just in case, even on bright daylight.

I usually bring along my Slik Sprint Pro tripod with 484RC2 when I&#8217;m doing lots of walking. It depends on what you are using it for I guess. For my case, it's for me to set up the timer to take self or family portrait. My heaviest set-up for the Sprint Pro is 20D with 17-55mm. The recommended weight for tripod is only 940g and for 484RC2 is 4kg. So far, so good.

I usually bring along my Slik Sprint Pro tripod with 484RC2 when I’m doing lots of walking. It depends on what you are using it for I guess. For my case, it's for me to set up the timer to take self or family portrait. My heaviest set-up for the Sprint Pro is 20D with 17-55mm. The recommended weight for tripod is only 940g and for 484RC2 is 4kg. So far, so good.

Hi, how much did you get them for?

Hi, how much did you get them for?

Bought the Sprint pro for S$95 from CP(PP) and the 484RC2 from B&S for about S$60(can't really remember). Btw, Sprint Pro comes with a ball head too. not necessary to get the 484RC2 if you are on a budget.

:)

Sprint pro's default head got no quick release, may be a bit troublesome.

Anyway this was also the tripod I brought on the backpacking trip. Managed to coax my friend to leave it in his backpack when changing cities.

like some has mentioned, it depends on whether your trip is photography trip.
well, for me, if it is just a family holiday trip i leave tripod at home. anyway, best is to bring a gorilla pod or bean bag which is small and easy to tuck away in any bag.

Has anyone used a Benro C-069?
Mine was attempted delivery here today, but I was not home :(

Sprint pro's default head got no quick release, may be a bit troublesome.

Anyway this was also the tripod I brought on the backpacking trip. Managed to coax my friend to leave it in his backpack when changing cities.

i thought slik sprint pro got qr? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.