Tripod Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

shogubong

Nov 4, 2009
Pasig, Philippines
hello guys

im presently on the lookout for a tripod. since this will be my first one, i wanna ask for suggestions on which one to get.

since my interest is mainly at travel photography, i want something light but sturdy enuf for a 500d + my 70-200f4 IS setup.

im looking for something at most in the form of the 190cxpro3 or at the least a travel angel CF tripod. i looked at the specs of the 190cxpro3 and it all seems good except for the price but i guess as photographers, we really cant afford to be tight specially for good equipments. i also looked at the benro travel angel CF tripods and also liked them.

With so many possible candidates on the market, im literally getting headaches on which one to get.

Your advise/suggestions would really be invaluable to a newbie photographer on the ropes right now.

tnx guys. :sweat:

For travel photography, I think it's best to get a Carbon Fiber tripod since it's lighter and thus won't add much to your walkabout setup.

For the same reason as yours (travel), I am looking at Benro's CF tripods since it's a lot cheaper than the other brands' offerings. However, I hate the Twist&Lock system employed on those Benro CF tripods (I own an A series Benro). It's just a big hassle to fold/unfold/collapse/expand, especially if you are on the move. I understand that they have the C EX series listed on their website, but it seems to me that they are not available locally yet (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). I think this is something you should factor in.

Also note that if on top of the cam and lens, you'll have a flash and/or a grip, better to get a bigger ballhead. The default Benro ballhead that came with my A series tripod was good initially for my setup but not after I got more and heavier items on my cam (i.e. grip & flash).

:Later,

i'm using Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 tripod + 486RC2 ballhead.
Light weight and its closed length is also short.
But price wise for the tripod is a bit heavy.
Buy good yet expensive will serve you a longer period of time rather than buy normal tripod and cheap, you will end up buying another new one.

if budget is not really a problem, consider the Gitzo 1541T. quite popular model. very light.

Just get a good tripod and ball head.
Is a long term investment.
Go for cheap one later spend more money to upgrade.
One shot one kill.

Btw I owned GT1541T with markins BH and 190CXPro3
yet I love both of them.
But I will still bring my GT1541T out due to weight.

Do a search I think you can find many threads or reviews on this topics.
;)

2nd Gitzo Traveller series if $ is not an issue. GT1541T. It's well worth the long term investment.

I brought the Sirui N-2204 carbon fibre tripod. I love it. Great size, easy to use, sturdy (50d with 24-70mm L f2.8 lens mounted) and I think great bang for your buck compared to other brands. Everything is included from ballhead to carry bag. One leg can be removed and used as monopod. All for $500 from TK photo. I was served by James. First time I'd been there. He compared and showed me all other tripods in this price range ($500) so I could see for my self. Easy to make my mind up.

Many photographers have paid thousands to learn the hard way where tripods are concerned ... and many still will go on that long, difficult, very frustrating and ultimately much more expensive route of skimping at the beginning.

Get the tripod you need, or a tripod much better than the one you think you need once and for all, instead of scrimping and saving $100 or $200 only to find out later that you need something better and better and better ...

Same goes for a very good quality head.

Last edited:
i recommed sirui t1004/t1204(if got stock) + a markins q3T ballhead, using this combo myself. The sirui is reallly really good, i dumped my 190xprob for this.
ballhead, theres really no way to get a good one without spending haha...
BTW total weight is only 1.5kg hehehe

Old saying for tripods:

Cheap no light
Light no steady
Steady no cheap
Light and Steady very expensive

Same goes for heads.

BTW, if you really do not need a ballhead, a 3-way pan head is often much cheaper (especially 2nd hand), and is usually a lot more precise and steadier. Something like the workhorse Manfrotto 141 series can be gotten here used for as low as $40. It can easily beat any $200+ ballhead for precision and steadiness. Try to get the quick release ones, but not the hexagonal plates which are hard to come by.

Really good ballheads cost a lot, and really good and light ballheads cost a bomb, but if you go for the middle to upper range like the Swiss made ballheads costing above $500, it's generally a once in a lifetime purchase. I can't think of really good, precise and trouble-free ballheads costing under $400 new.

Old saying for tripods:

Cheap no light
Light no steady
Steady no cheap
Light and Steady very expensive

Same goes for heads.

BTW, if you really do not need a ballhead, a 3-way pan head is often much cheaper (especially 2nd hand), and is usually a lot more precise and steadier. Something like the workhorse Manfrotto 141 series can be gotten here used for as low as $40. It can easily beat any $200+ ballhead for precision and steadiness. Try to get the quick release ones, but not the hexagonal plates which are hard to come by.

Really good ballheads cost a lot, and really good and light ballheads cost a bomb, but if you go for the middle to upper range like the Swiss made ballheads costing above $500, it's generally a once in a lifetime purchase. I can't think of really good, precise and trouble-free ballheads costing under $400 new.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: fully agreed.

If it's mainly for travel, amongst all considerations, weight of tripod+head is of utmost important.

No point having an optimal setup but end up leaving it at home or in the boot of your car most of the time.

Ideally, sacrifice a little for travel but have an optimum setup for use locally.

I would like to chime in on this one.

"buy the best, cry once" hhhehe....

A good tripod is pretty much like a good light stand. It'll pretty much last your whole
career. I have met some Lao Jiao photographer that confirmed that. They are still using the tripods and light stands they had when they started. The equipment may look ugly, but they still works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.