Tripod & Ballhead Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

polo_pro10

May 16, 2004
Rosyth Rd
photobucket.com
Hi, a newbie here!I need some recommendation of which tripod & 3 way pan head to buy.I need it for video(Panasonic NV-GS15) & camera(EOS30/10D) shoots. I shoot almost everything like macro, scenery, sports, night shoot........etc., so I will need a tripod which can go low and height of 2m. Its better for me to have a quick release. I also need to have a strap or anything which can allow me to carry around on bus. My budget is below SGD$250 or slightly more is OK. Steadyness is the most important bcos i will be using it on sand/grass/uneven surface. ;p

Thanks for your recommendations!!! :)

A 3 way pan head offers movement in 3 different axis with 3 different locking levers.
List of 3 way heads from Manfrotto..... http://www.manfrotto.com/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=7

Ballheads, as its name suggests allows movement with a ball joint set in a socket. You set the camera in place and lock the ball.
List of ballheads from Manfrotto.....
http://www.manfrotto.com/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=8

Pan heads give you better control in positioning your camera on the tripod. Good for landscape and architectural shoots or anything that needs precise alignment.

Ballheads allow faster movements.

polo_pro10 said:
I think I will need a 3 way pan head/tilt head. :think: But what's the diff btween 141 & 141RC???

from the website, one comes with a quick release plate (141RC), and the other one does not.

and be patient man....i'm sure you'll get more replies in good time.

just take a look the one like my ballhead at CP. Its brand is Giottos. Not really cheap, but definitely not the most expensive. But it's really good

For a tripod to have that kind of height, you can consider the Manfrotto 055 pro. Me standing at 1.88m finds it ok. It weighs approximately 2.7kg.

May be I only need a height of around 1.7m, since the head so big.

So I will need more recommendations. More! More!! More!!!

For 1.7m then i recommend the Manfrotto 190, should be within your budget :)

Polo, if you care for a newbie opinions, pls read.

I got 055 + 488. And I also got Velbon tripod cum pan head (off hand cannot remember the model - but not the cheapest one). I also have DV cam.

For video cam - pan head is the one - ball NO.

For casual still photo - ball head - simple, easy flexible....correct way to go.

HOWEVER!

If you do macro, 488 shifts when tighten. It is very slight (actually not much consequence to my novice photo) but gives you that 'aiyah' sigh!

Panning your DV cam without a handle - already sound not so correct - ball too loose, you worry the cam 'drop', ball too tight, pan not so smooth. The pan option in the ball head also a bit stiff (maybe seasoned will be OK).

If i started anew (one head for both still and video), most probably I will get the 141 head.

I got myself a 055ProB and a 486RC2 :)

Well worth the money.. IMHO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.