tripod ballhead QR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kegler

Dec 25, 2003
myhobbieseatdrink.blogspot.com
Just came back from CP@peninsular... checkout the tripods.... i notice most of the ball head tripod does not have QR plates? do i buy separately? any QR plates should fit into the ball head screw? is that how it works?
thx

Do you mean that the ballhead tripod does not have QR plates or QR clamp/shoe?

The better ballheads normally uses standard arca-swiss-style QR shoe, and they normally do not come with plates. You have to buy them separately. The cheaper ones use proprietry clamps, so the plates are sold as part of the package.

But if all you see is a screw thread on top of the ballhead, most likely it is not a quick release system. The screw thread mates directly with the hole below your camera.

jumbocrab said:
Do you mean that the ballhead tripod does not have QR plates or QR clamp/shoe?

The better ballheads normally uses standard arca-swiss-style QR shoe, and they normally do not come with plates. You have to buy them separately. The cheaper ones use proprietry clamps, so the plates are sold as part of the package.

But if all you see is a screw thread on top of the ballhead, most likely it is not a quick release system. The screw thread mates directly with the hole below your camera.

oh ya lor....i saw the slik sprint pro today.... ball head....but no quick release... very troublesome to screw in n out... thought could just add on QR plates.... so u mean i will need to change the whole ball head to a ball head that comes with QR plate?
thx

The better QR shoe are of 3/8 inch thread. An example is:
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA3/QS-52.php

But if I remember correctly, a standard thread for the camera mounting is 1/4 inch. So it won't fit.

I supposed if you try, you can probably find a 3/8 to 1/4 thread converter (not sure, but then it is technically possible). But there is really no point trying to buy the slik sprint pro then change the whole ball head. Why don't consider buying another tripod model, one that hasn't got a ballhead on it?

jumbocrab said:
The better QR shoe are of 3/8 inch thread. An example is:
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA3/QS-52.php

But if I remember correctly, a standard thread for the camera mounting is 1/4 inch. So it won't fit.

I supposed if you try, you can probably find a 3/8 to 1/4 thread converter (not sure, but then it is technically possible). But there is really no point trying to buy the slik sprint pro then change the whole ball head. Why don't consider buying another tripod model, one that hasn't got a ballhead on it?

any recommendations for tripod n ballhead? trying to get something like sprint pro gm' weight

Perhaps you could let me know:
1) What weight are you thinking of supporting?
2) What weight (tripod+ballhead) can you carry around?
3) How much are you willing to pay for the tripod system?

It is unfortunate, but out of these three factors, you can only pick two. In other words, if you want relatively cheap and support lots of weight, then the tripod will be HEAVY! If you want cheap and light, the tripod you can get will only support very little weight, etc...

jumbocrab said:
Perhaps you could let me know:
1) What weight are you thinking of supporting?
2) What weight (tripod+ballhead) can you carry around?
3) How much are you willing to pay for the tripod system?

It is unfortunate, but out of these three factors, you can only pick two. In other words, if you want relatively cheap and support lots of weight, then the tripod will be HEAVY! If you want cheap and light, the tripod you can get will only support very little weight, etc...

1) about 2kg
2) max. 1kg?
3) <$150

Actually slik sprint pro gm with QR ballhead would be my idea choice.... probably i just get that with a QR type ballhead.... any reccommendation of this?
thx

Unfortunately I have not used Slik tripods myself, so I'm unable to comment.

I think the lower-end Sliks may fit the bill ... take a look at the 330DX or 340DX, and swap the 3-way panhead for a lighter ballhead, like one of the smaller ones from Manfrotto. Should still fit into all 3 categories.

I have a 340DX (4-section legs ... smaller when collapsed, but not as stable, I think, as the 330DX), and swap between the panhead and an el-cheapo Ise mini-ballhead that I bought from CP as well.

kegler said:
Just came back from CP@peninsular... checkout the tripods.... i notice most of the ball head tripod does not have QR plates? do i buy separately? any QR plates should fit into the ball head screw? is that how it works?
thx

You can buy the sprint pro tripod and add a QR for it. That's what I did on mine :) A good QR cost only around S$30, quite worth it.

BTW, I use it for my Pentax *istD, strong enough for normal shooting I think.

fengwei said:
You can buy the sprint pro tripod and add a QR for it. That's what I did on mine :) A good QR cost only around S$30, quite worth it.

Er...what are QR plates? :embrass: I am interested in the sprint pro too.

ericp said:
I think the lower-end Sliks may fit the bill ... take a look at the 330DX or 340DX, and swap the 3-way panhead for a lighter ballhead, like one of the smaller ones from Manfrotto. Should still fit into all 3 categories.

I have a 340DX (4-section legs ... smaller when collapsed, but not as stable, I think, as the 330DX), and swap between the panhead and an el-cheapo Ise mini-ballhead that I bought from CP as well.

if swap ballhead, i think giottos ballheads are cheap too...

borrow thread...
btw, is it worthwhile to change the QR for manfrotto head to the hexagon QR, or the acra swiss style? cos i now have 2 head, the 3D mag head, and the 322RC2, den sometimes i need to take out the standard QR and change direction for different angle shots, i think the hexagon 1 will be better. any idea?

For afbug ... QR = Quick Release

fengwei said:

wat brand QR u got? im thinking of getting the same combo as u....maybe drop by CP later to get one.... still considering getting a new head with QR or just change the QR
hmm... wonder which brand/model of ballhead or 3way with QR system is good? cheap also...tsk tsk

ericp said:
For afbug ... QR = Quick Release

Thanks for explaining :)

Is there really a need to add a QR to the original ball head? For faster attachment of cam?

Are all heads interchangable between the brands? I have a more than 30yr old silk tripod hand-me-down from my dad and I want to change to a ball head with QR. Is it going to be expensive? (anything more than 50 is expensive for my current budget)

bought the slik sprint pro 3way.... very happy with it...had a hard time at CP considering ball or 3way head....lol

kegler said:
bought the slik sprint pro 3way.... very happy with it...had a hard time at CP considering ball or 3way head....lol

Hey how much you paid for your 3way head? Does it come with QR?

kegler said:

Yeah! How much did you pay for it? Whats the advantage of using ball head or 3 way head? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.