Tripod As Hand-Carry Baggage on Flight

Big crime ...

Ive travelled extensively with a carbon Manfrotto 441 Tripod since 2001... like the O55 series.

Never had an issue. ( Just avoid the spiked feet. )

In this case YNWA = You Never Wakeup Alone !!

Coming September, I go anfield alone. So, I still walk alone even a lfc supporter. :( ;p

Coming September, I go anfield alone. So, I still walk alone even a lfc supporter. :( ;p

then u'll be surprised how many locals offer to help u take photo when u wander ard the area..
they do return the cam afterwards, unless u do one of those mr bean turns.. :)

then u'll be surprised how many locals offer to help u take photo when u wander ard the area..
they do return the cam afterwards, unless u do one of those mr bean turns.. :)

Either my tripod will help me take or the self portrait from rx100 too. Still got a new toy to take some video footage too, heh heh!

Most of those airports are still ok with tripods. Pairs is iffy, it really depends on the staff you are dealing with at that time. If your tripod has a bag it might be better. But vietnam, taiwan and Xinjiang are very very strict with regards to this. As for airports in the USA, as long as your tripods do not have spiked feet, you are ok. Those with spiked feet run the risk of a forced check in.

i would like to confirm above info. Was flying in/out of Taiwan, i had a Velbon Ultra maxi L, folded height 32cm. it was disallowed as maximum length i can bring is 30cm. They refused to budge on this extra 2cm (after i removed the head it was still 32cm), and this was flying on business class, where they're normally more obliging to customer requests. i guess they take this alittle too seriously, as the Maxi L is a really small and cute tripod compared to other tripods.

i would like to confirm above info. Was flying in/out of Taiwan, i had a Velbon Ultra maxi L, folded height 32cm. it was disallowed as maximum length i can bring is 30cm. They refused to budge on this extra 2cm (after i removed the head it was still 32cm), and this was flying on business class, where they're normally more obliging to customer requests. i guess they take this alittle too seriously, as the Maxi L is a really small and cute tripod compared to other tripods.

Crazy ! :/

It is airport security screening issues.
Even the umbrella is not allowed on plane as hand carry luggage so tripods may not pass thru security check.

It is airport security screening issues.
Even the umbrella is not allowed on plane as hand carry luggage so tripods may not pass thru security check.

I got rejected @ the check in desk lei.. Where I was putting my check in luggage

I got rejected @ the check in desk lei.. Where I was putting my check in luggage

In my experience, Taipei taoyuan airport has perhaps the most unreasonable and strict check in counters in asia.

For the safety of the airline passengers, It is good to be strict and banned items that have long metal pipes
resemblance gun barrel carry on-board.

For the safety of the airline passengers, It is good to be strict and banned items that have long metal pipes

Its more important to use common sense and discretion.. Else walking sticks, crutches, and visually handicap aids..... Ahem

The issue was about check in luggage, not cabin luggage.

Right, because when someone in an aircraft cabin starts holding up a tripod in his hand and shout "... This Is A Hijack...!". Crews and passengers alike will immediately start fearing for their lives and safety with the situation descending into ultimate chaos once they turned around and looked at the joker.

Anyway, I'll be very, very, very concern if professionally trained law enforcement officers couldn't even differentiate a person either holding a firearm or a tripod / umbrella in his hands 50 meters away.

Last edited:
Long hard objects such as base ball bats, golf clubs or Tripod etc which can be use as weapons are prohibited in the aircraft for the safety of all passengers and crew onboard. Why not put it in your checking bag? It's strong enough to with stand any rough handling inside a hard case, if it's not then you probably won't want to put your expensive camera on it.

Long hard objects such as base ball bats, golf clubs or Tripod etc which can be use as weapons are prohibited in the aircraft for the safety of all passengers and crew onboard. Why not put it in your checking bag? It's strong enough to with stand any rough handling inside a hard case, if it's not then you probably won't want to put your expensive camera on it.

Not true.. I once had a solid aluminium tripod damaged while in a check in a luggage (hard plastic type)! If it was my CF tripod probably spoilt beyond repair! But it was aluminium and had a little dent on it. No way I'd put my camera in a check in luggage. That's just crazy man, unless its those dedicated pelican or similar hardcase. Cameras, laptops only go via cabin luggage for me. Don't wanna go for a trip and realise i got damaged/lost equipment when I arrive. Other than the low insurance coverage (think its less than 1k per luggage), there's also a matter of a ruined work trip/holiday to contend with.

The issue was about check in luggage, not cabin luggage.

Check-in luggage have no problem lah as long as it passed the x-ray and chemical screening.
The only concern is your tripods must have solid protection during packing.
I used to dump my 2.5kg notebook (battery removed) inside my check-in luggage and stuff with plenty of cloths and so far so good.
So the tripods can also packed in this way.