Tripod and films on airplanes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alangoh

Jul 3, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Hi,

I have not travelled with a tripod for a while. Was wondering if you will be allowed to bring tripod on board the aircraft.

Also, how effective are those OpTech x-ray bags as protection against handcarry x-ray machines?

Thanks.

How??? :rbounce: :rbounce: :rbounce:

alangoh said:
Hi,

I have not travelled with a tripod for a while. Was wondering if you will be allowed to bring tripod on board the aircraft.

Also, how effective are those OpTech x-ray bags as protection against handcarry x-ray machines?

Thanks.

Some airlines have length restrictions for tripod while a couple are a bit more strict and on checking the tripod visually.

From my trip abroad, I think it will depend on the airline. JAL (flight from SG > Narita) took my tripod and placed it in the cockpit for safekeeping, they cited it is for security reason.

SIA is less strict on this but I am told to keep it tugged in the overhead compartment. In some cases (eg. EVA Air) that they simply ignored the tripod altogether after a casual check at the X-ray point.

As for films, I requested them to be inspected visually along with my gear since I have ISO1600 ones with me, but be sure to have ample time for your flight cuz this may take a while. :)

From my trip abroad, I think it will depend on the airline. JAL (flight from SG > Narita) took my tripod and placed it in the cockpit for safekeeping, they cited it is for security reason.

SIA is less strict on this but I am told to keep it tugged in the overhead compartment. In some cases (eg. EVA Air) that they simply ignored the tripod altogether after a casual check at the X-ray point.

As for films, I requested them to be inspected visually along with my gear since I have ISO1600 ones with me, but be sure to have ample time for your flight cuz this may take a while. :)

any idea about lugging tripods up any US airliners..like United?
i thought nowadays, tripods will have to be checked in together with your luggage? did you carried the tripod in a bag or just as it is?

rncw said:
i thought nowadays, tripods will have to be checked in together with your luggage? did you carried the tripod in a bag or just as it is?

A friend of mine kept his in the gitzo tripod bag and it was considered a hand carry though have to keep it in the overhead cabin. As for film most of the xray machines are very safe these days and ISO 1600 would not be damaged. Of coz if you are worried you could request for hand checking.

But to facilitate the process, use a film pouch and only place your film inside and save the customs the trouble of going through your entire camera bag. This is especially when you travel in States as I have some friends who encountered nightmarish customs who literally ripped their entire camera bag apart during the process.

rncw said:

rncw, I have not taken United for the past year (since 911) but I had heard from friends that they don't allow such items in their cabin. (ie. it can be used as a weapon?) You can check in your tripods but I prefer not to since these can be quite "fragile" to the treatment you get from some airport luggage service. I had bad experiences with a couple of airports where my luggage are stuck between or beneath some huge cartons. :)

rncw, I have not taken United for the past year (since 911) but I had heard from friends that they don't allow such items in their cabin. (ie. it can be used as a weapon?) You can check in your tripods but I prefer not to since these can be quite "fragile" to the treatment you get from some airport luggage service. I had bad experiences with a couple of airports where my luggage are stuck between or beneath some huge cartons. :)

Since we are on the topic of check in lugagge, I remember this top notch story from a friend from Canada. I forgot the details but she checked in her camera bag by mistake. What happened next was interesting. Imagine one of those bundled with camera bags being tossed among all those huge pieces of luggage and it came out ok. The bag was intact and the camera was working a-ok. I don recommend anyone trying out the stunt and why she did it, I don wanna noe. But you can be quite surprised on how things can survive in such a rough environment.

sebastiansong said:
Since we are on the topic of check in lugagge, I remember this top notch story from a friend from Canada. I forgot the details but she checked in her camera bag by mistake. What happened next was interesting. Imagine one of those bundled with camera bags being tossed among all those huge pieces of luggage and it came out ok. The bag was intact and the camera was working a-ok. I don recommend anyone trying out the stunt and why she did it, I don wanna noe. But you can be quite surprised on how things can survive in such a rough environment.

What-the-heck! :bigeyes: This is definitely nightmare for photographers, I cannot image what will be the outcome if this happens at those "half-past-six" airports! :rolleyes:

I think it depends on the 'anality' of the customs officers. I have had two seperate experiences; one from melbourne and one from sydney. The ones in melbourne were fine but the ones in Sydney insisted that I check in my tripod, even tough I told them the check in counter officer said it was ok. They insisted so I asked for a liabilities claim form or a signed letter from their manager that they would be liable if the tripod was damaged. After 5 minutes of "let me talk to my supervisor", they relented.

Always make sure you ask at the check in counter. The information can be different between carriers and airport staff! Almost everyone has a different interpretation of the rules.

I now fly out of melbourne... never again sydney...

alangoh said:
Hi,

Thanks.

Not too sure about the tripod. But if you hand-carry your film, there is no problem. have travelled to Afghanistan before and the even the machines there have not given me any problems.

Did not use any x-ray bags. My film was intact....:D

just make sure you hand-carry them. Don't put them in your check-in luggage.

my experience - Taipei by EVA Air

tripod in the main luggage and 20 rolls of ISO400s in my camera bag.

Walk in / out without being checked in detail.... XRAY machinist just casually ask: "you photographer ahh?"

:devil:

This is my personal opinion... I think those pros who discuss so much about film X-rays being dangerous are just being over paranoid. Maybe bcos one of their shots is that of 911 for eg. Can understand. But even then, it's an uncalled for worry for most of us. I can't say for high speed ones above ISO800 but all others should be :thumbsup: I travel quite a lot and I've gotten pretty tired of explaining and looking into the eyes of irritated airport staff who mumbled alien languages like Spanish or French to me when Irequested for hand-inspection. So far I haven't heard of anyone facing any problems too despite the fear.

From my many experiences, there is absolutely no problem even up to 5 passes through into the machine. Being afraid of the X-ray machine damaging the film is almost similar to being afraid that a normal chest X-ray will damage your lungs due to radiation exposure.

Status
Not open for further replies.