Tripod allow in flight cabin

Status
Not open for further replies.

redwine

Jan 20, 2008
Hi,

Anone have idea idea if camera tripod is allow in cabin ?

Tks

I think it depends on the ground crew that xrays your luggage. If the fella in a bad mood that day you might not be allowed to bring it in.

anyone have such an experience ?
then how, still can check-in or have to sa goodbye.

AFAIK, tripods are not allowed in cabin. You have to check them in. Be sure to add extra protections. Best in inside your luggage.

Depend how big is your tripod, i had no problem hand carry my tripod for the last 2 trip flying with CP.

Mine's a new Benro EX250,
Dont wanna loss m tripod, guess i'll check-in.

Call your airline about cabin restrictions, I flew on ANA before and they restrict tripods beyond a certain length.

Call your airline about cabin restrictions, I flew on ANA before and they restrict tripods beyond a certain length.

My fren flew via SQ to Jakarta with my tripod (Manfrotto 728B) and no questions asked

btw, i always remove the ballhead so that it is shorter and lighter.

tripod securely strapped onto my bag for Tiger Air flight, no questions asked.

only asked myself why didn't i remove the tripod head, it got bashed up

i've been travelling around europe with my tripod hand carried, but i think mine was probably allowed cuz its a not that big a tripod, the slik sprint pro.

Yes! As far as I'm concern I did carry mine into flight cabin & placed it under my seat.All d way from Kuala Lumpur to S'pore to Narita thro Detroit & finally to Cincinnati visiting my daughter in Ohio. Tripod brand: Stein Zeiser with Benro Ballhead PH 28.:thumbsup:

p.s. forget to mention,while in Narita airport I was asked to shorten d tripod 4 (I suppose) permitted length. So, I just unsrewed d ballhead from tripod & was allowed to go thro.

Last edited:
You have to call up before hand to check.
JAL needed me to check in my tripod. In the end i requested them to handle as a fragile item and it was intact when i received it

Ryan

JAL needed me to check in my tripod. In the end i requested them to handle as a fragile item and it was intact when i received it

Someone at the counter once told me that having an item marked "Fragile" simply means that the airline will not be accountable if the item is damaged, not necessarily that it will get special treatment by baggage handlers. I have no idea how true this is, or if that lady was simply delusional. It sounds really stupid, but we're talking about an industry (at least in the U.S.) that is not terribly bright to begin with.

As for tripod as carry on, it very much depends on everyone who interacts with you from check-in counter, airport security screening, and so on. I've only tried to do that once, and didn't have any problem, going from Beijing to San Francisco on a United flight. Interestingly, airport security was totally not interested in inspecting a long bag with metallic tubes inside, but they were very concerned about my laptop.

If you're flying out of the U.S., the rules say that you're permitted to carry on photographic equipment (subject to airline regulations) but not allowed to carry on hiking sticks or ski poles. So, good luck, and remember it is never a good idea to argue with someone with absolute power to deny you permission to get on a plane.

It all depends on the person checking your luggage. i brought it up the cabin before, no question asked. However, I have also been stopped before. No harm done though, they will juz ask you check it in. You just make sure you paste lots of "FRAGILE" stickers on it if u are worried. The airline/airport crew is not accountable for any damages to your items regardless of whether you paste "FRAGILE" or not. So just paste it to get them cooperate and handle with care.

My tripod is also a Benro which usually comes with a nice padded bag. that was sufficient for me when i last check it in on a plane. No damage of any sort was found.

I still recall that thread where the CS-er checked his tripod in and when it came out, it was all bashed up, mangled and destroyed.

I still recall that thread where the CS-er checked his tripod in and when it came out, it was all bashed up, mangled and destroyed.

The way some of the luggage is handled, you can check in a tank it will come out bashed up, mangled and destroyed :bsmilie:

I remember the Denver airport and its infamous luggage mangler...

i bring my gitzo in it's bag up in cabin all the time.had never been stopped.

not a prob with SQ as well. Been bringing tripods strapped to my backpack a few times. Problem is finding a nice slot in the baggage compartment.........

I always carry the Benro inside its bag everytime I fly. Been flying to India, Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia. Never had any issues.

Had to explain what it was once in a while and sometimes had to strap it to the bag so that they don't say much. In fact, when I called and asked them if I could take it in the cabin, they said absolutely not. But the crew at the airport didn't say anything to me when I was carrying it. So, best is to go to the airport and see. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.