Tripod Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

kane-rulez

Jun 23, 2011
Singapore-
Hello Everyone,

I have a tripod dilemma and hoping that some of you experienced folks will assist.

It should :
  • Be able to carry a D700 + grip as well as a mounted Flash and a 70-200 Lens. ( don't have all of this but wanted to spend once and get it right)
  • Fold down to portable levels ( or fits a bag like the lowepro flip side 300/400aw or vanguard up-rise 45/46)
  • Be able to do low angle shots
  • Be sturdy and have good grip on solid flat ground or outdoors
  • Have a bubble level

I may want to use the tripod for Landscape, portraits, and low angle shots.

My budget i have kept it anywhere between 150$ and 275$

Would appreciate if someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

Ps. I have a Nikon tripod that came with the camera and its very flimsy, it doesn't hold still even if i tighten the knobs really tight. and if i shoot it vertically it slips back to horizontal.. I am scared that it will drop my camera.

We have about 200 threads on this. Please try a search for "tripod" and start reading.

We have about 200 threads on this. Please try a search for "tripod" and start reading.

Precisely i did a search before i typed in the post. " from the 200 posts that showed up 90 % were BnS, 9 % were also other posts, like using the tripod for night shot etc, and the 1 % were other Newbies like me wanting advice.

I did read what i could but it got me all confused. ( sirui, manfrottto, benro, vanguard, ) my head spins a bit more. If you could point me to the right thread or give me the much needed advice i so seek. It would be my pleasure to treat you to a coffee at Starbucks or if you fancy a drink then one round on me.

R

Last edited:
Precisely i did a search before i typed in the post. " from the 200 posts that showed up 90 % were BnS, 9 % were also other posts, like using the tripod for night shot etc, and the 1 % were other Newbies like me wanting advice.

I did read what i could but it got me all confused. ( sirui, manfrottto, benro, vanguard, ) my head spins a bit more. If you could point me to the right thread or give me the much needed advice i so seek. It would be my pleasure to treat you to a coffee at Starbucks or if you fancy a drink then one round on me.

R
The forum search engine is useful, don't blame it if you can't get useful results.

Recommendation of how to use the forum search function.

Use Advanced Search

Search SIngle Content Type

Search Type: Post / Search Thread Title only

Keyword: Tripod

Additional OPtions:

Search in Forum: General Discussion; Equipment Discussion

Find Posts: 6 months Ago and Newer

The forum search engine is useful, don't blame it if you can't get useful results.

Recommendation of how to use the forum search function.

Use Advanced Search

Search SIngle Content Type

Search Type: Post / Search Thread Title only

Keyword: Tripod

Additional OPtions:

Search in Forum: General Discussion; Equipment Discussion

Find Posts: 6 months Ago and Newer

Thank you for the tutorial. but it still did not find me what i was looking for even with the advanced search.

Sorry to have digressed but i was really looking for a help with a tripod recommendation. the pages mentioned by Rashkae was informative and helped me understand tripods better as well as a few people views about certain tripods.. I was looking more for an answer from domain experts in photography who would share their experience and recommend something like go for sirui model xxx as it meets your requirements and within your budget. or get a second hand XXXX brand with YYY ballhead till i understand what i need and then upgrade later. If i have broken any rules or anything with regards to what to post and which sub-forum to post then i am sorry for that.

I was looking more for an answer from domain experts in photography who would share their experience and recommend something like go for sirui model xxx as it meets your requirements and within your budget. or get a second hand XXXX brand with YYY ballhead till i understand what i need and then upgrade later.

Since you want it in simple terms.
Go TK foto.
They have whole series of tripods from sirui.
See what fits your requirements.

There are always compromises and you need to compromise on weight, stability or price. I have chosen a specific compromise that fits me. Each of my friends have chosen different compromises for their requirements. So i suggest you go check them out rather than complain now that we are not giving you exact recommendations and then complaining again later that it didn't fit your requirements.

PS:
I like sirui. Maybe you wouldn't. If that happens to be the case, I suggest you just try looking for the other tripods on offer in Funan and Peninsula (all within 50m radius).

Last edited:
Thank you for the tutorial. but it still did not find me what i was looking for even with the advanced search.

Sorry to have digressed but i was really looking for a help with a tripod recommendation. the pages mentioned by Rashkae was informative and helped me understand tripods better as well as a few people views about certain tripods.. I was looking more for an answer from domain experts in photography who would share their experience and recommend something like go for sirui model xxx as it meets your requirements and within your budget. or get a second hand XXXX brand with YYY ballhead till i understand what i need and then upgrade later. If i have broken any rules or anything with regards to what to post and which sub-forum to post then i am sorry for that.

We can share our experience. But your requirements are a little too impossible to achieve... Especially on the budget side...

Last edited:

I'm not giving you a fish, but to tell you how to fish.

anyway, go TK foto, tell them what you need, the nice people there will tell you more about the Sirui tripod that able to fit into your budget, but you need to increase your budget to get what you want.

Thanks Guys.. Guess this Saturday ... i will check out Tripods at TK photo.

And will post how it goes.

finally got by self a 055xprob manfrotto. its around 2.4 kg. but i dont mind the weight. but at least it has a good height so even without raising the center column its eye level for a 5.11" person like me. and it feels so solid. loving it.

finally got by self a 055xprob manfrotto. its around 2.4 kg. but i dont mind the weight. but at least it has a good height so even without raising the center column its eye level for a 5.11" person like me. and it feels so solid. loving it.

Good choice for tripod, although it is no where near as portable as you wanted in the first place. Which head are you using?

Got a Manfrotto 054 Magnesium Ball Head with Q2 Quick Release also a friend gave me an antique gitzo head, its bit cheassy but beggars cant be choosers :)

at what cost?

at what cost?

160 $ for the tripod if the price is what you were inquiring about.

@ the cost of daily walkabout portability. I figured that the times i may take a tripod out are far too little, and if indeed i needed to shoot something that required one then, i would not mind toting this around.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.