Tripod advice

heliam

Nov 7, 2011
Hello everyone, i am looking to get a tripod. I did some research but still cant find the info i need. I wanted to ask, wat is a good tripod model for macro photography? Im using a Nikon D5100 with a nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR. The lens and body total mass is around 1kg. Can anyone help me? Thanks :).

i currently own a slik pro 330dx. heavy and solid aluminium. my camera is heavier than urs but my tripod holds up fine. some suggest carbon fibre which is lighter but just as strong as metal but expensive.

in the end u hv to decide between:
budget
size (portability)
weight

Hello everyone, i am looking to get a tripod. I did some research but still cant find the info i need. I wanted to ask, wat is a good tripod model for macro photography? Im using a Nikon D5100 with a nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8 VR. The lens and body total mass is around 1kg. Can anyone help me? Thanks :).

What is your budget? If budget is not a problem... look to Gitzo series.

If it is a problem, look to manfrotto, sirui and benro.

Budget is nt very high. Maybe around $250. I will check out the models, thanks guys :)!

Let me hijack this thread instead of starting another one...just curious if locally any shop sells wooden tripod. Saw some people used for birding and they look very stable. Also some online reviews mentioned wood tripods dampen vibrations better than metal (not sure about Carbon Fibre).

Considering one but importing from overseas is ex.

gundamseed84 said:
Let me hijack this thread instead of starting another one...just curious if locally any shop sells wooden tripod. Saw some people used for birding and they look very stable. Also some online reviews mentioned wood tripods dampen vibrations better than metal (not sure about Carbon Fibre).

Considering one but importing from overseas is ex.

Check out orient photo at sim lim square

Depends on the situation, most of the time I find my tripod useless for macro photography. There are many situations that are far too low, too awkward or too inconvenient to deploy a tripod. But that's just me, if you really have the patience, just get a sturdy aluminium or CF tripod, your budget is good enough for one.

You might also want to invest on e macro rail too.

I happen to be looking for a tripod to replace an existing one and just bought one yesterday.

My first tripod was Vanguard Espod 203ab. It is light weight and good but the ball head cannot take my heavier lens. The reason i mentioned this is to let newbie like me know you got to know what is your set up. I ended up having to sell it off again.

For me, it is not easy to use the tripod most of the time for macro. Good to have but not so practical. Good to have steady hands and lots of practice beside settings.

For night photography or low light, the tripod is almost a must. Of course the higher priced brands are likely to be better. Personally, I think there are good tripods at your budget except not so branded. Pre-owned is one of the good option.

Good luck.

with that budget, have u considered getting a good monopod with a tilt-head instead? its much more compact and practical than a tripod. easier to bring it around when bashing, provides some stability when u have to take the shot.

if u've thought it through and u must get a tripod, i would suggest getting one where u can set the center column horizontally. it allows u to get the camera closer to the subject and is more practical for macro shoot. tripods with this feature includes the Gitzo explorer series (out of your budget), the benro flexpods (can check with benphoto at peninsula shopping centre).

the manfrotto xprob can do that too but i find it more limiting - u can't adjust the angle of horizontal column. its also out of your budget.

all the tripods that i feel to be "good for macro" isn't really good for your budget. :)

i currently own a slik pro 330dx. heavy and solid aluminium. my camera is heavier than urs but my tripod holds up fine. some suggest carbon fibre which is lighter but just as strong as metal but expensive.

in the end u hv to decide between:
budget
size (portability)
weight

Hi how much does it cost, how heavy and whats the max height for this tripod? Im also looking for one :)

Halfgeek said:
Hi how much does it cost, how heavy and whats the max height for this tripod? Im also looking for one :)

It's a pretty heavy tripod with a pan head. It's was my first tripod. Sold it away because of the weight

With a budget of $250? :bsmilie:

if have, i also want :bsmilie: been itching to upgrade my tripod to the gitzo explorer but find the price too painful. :sweat:

the vanguard alta pro series can do something similar (horizontal center column). maybe can check how much the cheapest model costs. it might be within budget.

if have, i also want :bsmilie: been itching to upgrade my tripod to the gitzo explorer but find the price too painful. :sweat:

the vanguard alta pro series can do something similar (horizontal center column). maybe can check how much the cheapest model costs. it might be within budget.

Around half a year ago I was itching just like you. I was already at my second tripod but was still not satisfied, so I told myself, rather than to keep buying tripods and waste money, I just get a good one and it can last me for many years without the needing to upgrade. So I went ahead and got the GT2531EX, it hurts when I buy it but now I am very satisfied, no more itching for new tripods:bsmilie:

Around half a year ago I was itching just like you. I was already at my second tripod but was still not satisfied, so I told myself, rather than to keep buying tripods and waste money, I just get a good one and it can last me for many years without the needing to upgrade. So I went ahead and got the GT2531EX, it hurts when I buy it but now I am very satisfied, no more itching for new tripods:bsmilie:

i already have a benro flexpod :) it fulfills 80% of my needs. i had more problems with the ballhead than the tripod so i was wondering if i should upgrade once and for all or piecemeal.

but since i've been too busy to shoot lately, i've left it alone for now.

i think for the current budget TS should consider a good carbon fibre monopod with a decent ball / tilt head rather than a tripod. shooting style and shooting location matters. some places are not suitable for tripod and some subjects are too skittish - they'll jump / fly away while u're setting up your equipment.

i bought it 2nd hand for $80+ i used to use 340dx, more compact as it has 4 leg pieces vs the 3 leg pieces of the 330dx. but i bought the 330 cos no one was selling the 340. I think those models are out of production now though, try looking in the b/s. max height abt 1.5m~, its heavy cos of its construction, nvr weighed it b4