Trip to the moon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygoh

Jan 18, 2002
Northwest
Visit site
...well, I got as far as 2 meters from my front door. Taken 3 hours ago in front of my house:

aam.jpg

aah.jpg

Nikon CP995 + William Optics DCL-28 + Meade ETX90RA

Focus lock to infinity, used telescope to focus, and shutter released by self timer.

Aperture ranging from 2.8 to 5.6, ISO100 for full moon, ISO 200 for zoomed in, shuttle speed ranging from 1/15 to 1/60 sec.

Hope you enjoyed viewing. Comments are welcomed!

- Roy

Wow, such detail!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Can you post a picture of the setup you used? :p

Wow! I never thought Coolpix 995 combined with some gadgets can produce such a spectacular result! Good work, Roy!

ps. How about some other celestial objects? Venus? Jupiter?

Thank you for youe compliments!

To sfhuang,

I can post a picture of my setup later, but you can get a good idea of the equipment used by looking going to the following links:

1. Telescope: Meade ETX90RA

2. Eyepiece: William Optics DCL-28

The DCL-28 eyepiece is a special eyepiece that has a 28 mm thread on the viewing side. It can be attached to the CP995 like a filter, and then the CP995+DCL28 assembly can be plugged into any telescope with a 1.25" focusor to take pictures.

To rty,

To photograph anything other than the moon, I will most likely have to engage the tracking mototr on the telescope to enable longer exposure timings. I have not tried that yet. That involves aligning the telescopes rotating axis to the North Star. Will definitely give that a try probably sometime this fall. Summer is nice but there are lots of mosquitoes in the night....:(

The strength of the CP995 in terms of astrophotography is that the small lens allows it to be easily attached to telescopes. The weakness is that it is not suitable for very long exposures.

Hi, nice pics !

Did you get your telescope at that website ? How much did you spend in all, including shipping and taxes ?

Originally posted by licorx
Hi, nice pics !

Did you get your telescope at that website ? How much did you spend in all, including shipping and taxes ?

it is much cheaper for him cos he stays in US

wat's your budget?

Originally posted by licorx
Hi, nice pics !

Thanks!

I did get the telescope and the eyepiece from the 2 websites listed.

The telescope is going for $169 now. When I bought it 6 months ago it was $179. No sales tax because the company is not based in Washington, and the shipping was something like US$10. I am not sure if they would ship overseas.

The company that I bought the DCL-28 from is based in Washington, so I has to pay 8% sales tax plus shipping. Don't remember the total now but should be around US$90.

If you are located in Singapore and wish to get telescopes from US, you should check with Wai for details.

I bought a 3X barlows (Meade #128) last week, and have been waiting for a chance to try it out.

- Roy

uh... my bad, didn't notice that you're based in the us... :)

thanks, been interested in astronomy, i thought it would be very expensive to go into it... it seems i was mistaken.

thanks and regards.

Originally posted by roygoh
Thanks!

I did get the telescope and the eyepiece from the 2 websites listed.

The telescope is going for $169 now. When I bought it 6 months ago it was $179. No sales tax because the company is not based in Washington, and the shipping was something like US$10. I am not sure if they would ship overseas.

--- snipped ---

If you are located in Singapore and wish to get telescopes from US, you should check with Wai for details.

--- snipped ---

- Roy

hi, are you selling telescopes ?

i'm thinking of the setup that roygoh has....

thanks and regards. :)

Originally posted by Wai
it is much cheaper for him cos he stays in US

wat's your budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.