Trip to Taiwan

kimazuru

Dec 23, 2008
Hello everybody,

I'm travelling to taiwan from 23june to 28june and it's my 1st time going there.
I'll be bringing my 60D, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8 IS USM, 50 f1.8, 580EX II with diffuser and a tripod + remote.

Advice on my equipments? I pretty much like landscape photography and street shooting.

Apart from that place to recommand a die die must go take photo site? haha

Thanks alot people, thank you for your time C=

I would say you are ready for your trip. Where will you be heading in taiwan cos there are so many places to explore in taiwan.

Nature park such as Taroko National Park, accessible from Hualian or, I think, Taidong.

The train ride from Taipei to Hualian via east cost is nice, facing Pacific Ocean.

Down south to Genting, Pingdong province is pretty nice.

And plenty of pasar malam in every cities.

Hello everybody,

I'm travelling to taiwan from 23june to 28june and it's my 1st time going there.
I'll be bringing my 60D, 11-16 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8 IS USM, 50 f1.8, 580EX II with diffuser and a tripod + remote.

Advice on my equipments? I pretty much like landscape photography and street shooting.

Apart from that place to recommand a die die must go take photo site? haha

Thanks alot people, thank you for your time C=

If you are an avid flash user (fill flash on bright day light) bring it. If not, I would not suggest you to bring. Just personal preference. A bit bulky for me.
Regarding die die must go place, depends your interest. Also depends your itinerary. You just go to Taipei?

Hello
I am going to Taiwan in August, do you have advice on budgeting?
Air-ticket around ~ S$420 with Jet Star
accommodation + food ~ S$250
Is this reasonable for student budget? Are there other possibilities to cut down the cost?
I will be based mostly in Taipei and what are the must shoot in Taipei?

Have anyone heard of TransAsia Airways? Is it safe? Thanks a lot in advance :)

Hello
Is this reasonable for student budget? Are there other possibilities to cut down the cost?

How many days? A lot of places to shoot in Taipei - 故宮博物院、士林夜市、台北101, and even streets.

If you have time to venture a bit further - 陽明山、淡水 (淡水老街、淡水紅毛城, seafood), 九份&十分 (ancient town), 基隆 (夜市), 野柳 (geo formations, very scenic & highly recommended!).

If you're on a budget, best way to get around is taking buses & trains, but you'll need to do your homework before going. Let me know if you need the info, or you can google them.

Have fun. :)

Hello

S$250 for accommodation and food is quite tight in my opinion.
especially in taiwan, there's no such thing as Money Changers in town, you can only change into TWD at the airport or at the banks.
So I will advise, to bring extra rather than exact, eg 2x your estimated amount.

Ye Liu is very scenic, but I feel it is quite far and quite abit of hassle to travel there.
I like Dan Sui during sunset, alot of coffee houses along the stretch.
Try to control your budget on souvenirs, this is where i blew my original budget.
Food can be really cheap, but avoid restaurants. Night markets is a good place for dinner if there is one nearby, and you can try most of the local food stuff.

It was more than 10yrs the last time I went there, maybe situation may have changed or improved?

@ziploc, MatCh
Thanks a lot for your tips :)

travel photography presents you with a unique challenge that many other types of photography do not in that the situations that you might like to photograph can vary incredibly over your trip. Depending upon your destination and the type of shots you take you’ll probably a lens (or combination of them) that is versatile and gives you a range of focal lengths. So if taking just one a zoom with a wide range might be best or if you’re able to take more than one a combination of different lengths could be worth while.

i am giong to taipei this sunday till 20 july~ the info here is great stuff! thanks

If you are an avid flash user (fill flash on bright day light) bring it. If not, I would not suggest you to bring. Just personal preference. A bit bulky for me.
Regarding die die must go place, depends your interest. Also depends your itinerary. You just go to Taipei?

i concur. i also leave my flash behind whenever i go for my travels. i use the best available light most of the time.

Hi, I will also be going Taiwan in August. Initial plan was to trek the snow mountain. Mainly to capture the sunrise/ sunsets and the landscape view of the mountains and also the clouds beneath. However, August is the period of typhoons right? Any advise if trekking is still recommended for this trip?

i concur. i also leave my flash behind whenever i go for my travels. i use the best available light most of the time.

I always bring my smallest flash (270EX) when I travel. Its really important for personal or family portraits with the sun in background. Or when lighting is less than ideal.
Shooting portraits with the sunset in the background would be next to impossible without a flash though .

Hi, I will also be going Taiwan in August. Initial plan was to trek the snow mountain. Mainly to capture the sunrise/ sunsets and the landscape view of the mountains and also the clouds beneath. However, August is the period of typhoons right? Any advise if trekking is still recommended for this trip?

I think you're referring to Yushan? If so, you'd need to pre-arrange it well in advanced, as the accommodation up the mountain is very limited and usually with long waiting list. Yes August is within the typhoon season, and usually trekking within this season is not recommended. Typhoon forecast nowadays can be 4-5 days in advanced, but the problem is you could be uninformed and trapped while in the mountain.