Trip to Redang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
Dear All,

I think this would be for future reference but what are the various ways one can get to Redang? :) It would help tremendously if the estimated cost of the various routes can be shared as well. :)

Do advice please.

Cheers! :)

Hi, You can try Beach Road. The last time I had book from there for low seasons (about now). Cost only 200 SGD plus for bus, ferry, resort (3 days 2 nights) & 3 meals per day. If you can't take the long ride, you can fly. Did not try it before, but it is from Singapore to KL, then bus to Terengganu coast and then ferry. More expansive then.

As jUzMoO mentioned if u can't take long road/ferry trip then consider flying there. IIRC the flight takes less than 2Hrs from Seletar airport.

Cost abt 500+ per pax by Berjaya.

Check out Redang Island Rendezvous at http://www.redang.org/
Started by a Singaporean Redang enthusiast. The last time I went, I flew by Berjaya Air from Seletar Airport. Quite an experience and it was a lot faster!!

I didn't enjoy the stay at Berjaya so much as it was quite limited and the snokerlling wasn't as great. Pasir Panjang has a lot more to offer. Check out Laguna Redang :thumbsup: There are also cheaper alternatives there. Snorkelling near the reef is great at Pasir Panjang. Baby sharks, titan triggers and squids.

Trouble is, officially, if you fly Berjaya Air, you will are only to stay at Berjaya Redang. Not sure if this has changed.

Agree that Laguna Redang is a nice place to stay and is reasonably priced too.

I travelled by coach - very long hours :eek: IRRC takes 10hrs from SG to reach the drop off point at the other side. Thereafter, bumboat journey under 30mins. Cost $270-300 for 2night stay. For Laguna Redang, expect to pay abt $50-80 more perhaps.

I always choose to stay with Ayu Mayang. About RM400 per pax (including
taxi and boat transfer) for 4D3N. Bought Transnational coach ticket at Larkin
at abt RM30 or RM40 (cant remember clearly), not sure how much now cos
that was the price 2 years ago. If dun want the hassle to travel all the way
to Larkin, can take coach from Lavender.

cookiez said:
I always choose to stay with Ayu Mayang. About RM400 per pax (including
taxi and boat transfer) for 4D3N. Bought Transnational coach ticket at Larkin
at abt RM30 or RM40 (cant remember clearly), not sure how much now cos
that was the price 2 years ago. If dun want the hassle to travel all the way
to Larkin, can take coach from Lavender.

Yes, Ayu Mayang... I stayed there way back in 1998 when Redang wasn't so congested with resorts... the stretch of the east coast where Ayu Mayang was last time was so peaceful and quiet... See below:
35429827.jpg

This stretch is now packed beyond packed...

One thing about Ayu Mayang though... When I was there in March this year, Ayu Mayang was under renovation... So better check out if it's completed if you do want to stay there.

Route-wise, I think the others have already mentioned... the average time for the coach ride is about 10 hrs plus minus... and for such travelling time, I'd prefer to extend the usual package to 3 nights... otherwise I'd be spending a large part of my trip on a coach rather than on the powder-sand beach... ;)

zha said:
Agree that Laguna Redang is a nice place to stay and is reasonably priced too.

I travelled by coach - very long hours :eek: IRRC takes 10hrs from SG to reach the drop off point at the other side. Thereafter, bumboat journey under 30mins. Cost $270-300 for 2night stay. For Laguna Redang, expect to pay abt $50-80 more perhaps.

Went during the Jun school holidays with the family of 7, was packed and higher prices at Luguna too. It was our 2nd trip to Redang, drove on my 1st trip.
The long "bus" ride was a real torture; pray that you're on a comfortable coach.
Bring jacket or blankets on board for the over-night ride, the air-con is freezing, cannot be controlled or lowered.:angry:

Once on the ferry, your frustrations will be lessen. The blue sea and bright sky has a way of loosening your stress. The all-inclusive “package” was a no-brainer, breakfast, lunch and dinner inclusive. The buffet spread wasn’t great but no bad. With all the outdoor activities and energy burnt, we ate like hungry ghost for every meal.

The highlights are the snorkeling trips, island hopping and turtle sanctuary. The preservation of marine life around Redang is great. The Marine Park is a good visit, even the beach at the hotel has good corals and marine life. Bring bread from breakfast for fish feeding, hundreds will be swimming around you. A great experience especially for kids, crying out loud with the fishes nibbling their toes and buds.:D

Great family fun and memories, my daughter designed a Coffee Table Book with all the beautiful shots, printed 2 books in my factory as samples for the new biz that I’m starting, my mum insists to have a book, now my mother-out-law also wanted a copy. Nothing to show you guys, maybe will print it again when I have some time. :)

Winson

Dear All,

Thank you for the tips and leads given so far. :) Do keep them coming if you have anything else in mind to share. :)

Much obliged. :)

Cheers!
WG

Wolfgang said:
Dear All,

Thank you for the tips and leads given so far. :) Do keep them coming if you have anything else in mind to share. :)

Much obliged. :)

Cheers!
WG

dude drive down to kl.. spend like 1 night there.. eat the good food.. after that .. next morning drive up north ..

damm shiok.. from kl to terrgannu(sp?) about 5 hours ... so not so bad cuz u split the journey into 2.

was going to go to redang last month but last min cancel... well im not complaining cuz im going to rome next week lol

trlnlty said:
dude drive down to kl.. spend like 1 night there.. eat the good food.. after that .. next morning drive up north ..

damm shiok.. from kl to terrgannu(sp?) about 5 hours ... so not so bad cuz u split the journey into 2.

was going to go to redang last month but last min cancel... well im not complaining cuz im going to rome next week lol

Sorry KL no good food! hehe

Get on Airasia from JB to Trengganu (or Kota Bharu), it's so cheap! hehe, then take coach from there it will be faster.

behyx said:

Get on Airasia from JB to Trengganu (or Kota Bharu), it's so cheap! hehe, then take coach from there it will be faster.

Why KL no good food lei? :think:

Else, go where?

behyx said:

KL no good food.... hm.....

i beg to defer considering every singaporean who i've brought to KL wants to go back :dunno:

zha said:
Why KL no good food lei? :think:

Else, go where?

KL really no good food.

Penang is the place for the real deal :)

I've a KL friend who also has the same comment as me about KL food. Jalan Alor is a huge disappointment. Petaling street's food is worse...

A cheaper alternative is to get an AirAsia flight from JB to Kota Bharu. Last time I went, organised a package with a Malaysian tour company, they arranged for a minivan to pick us up at Kota Bharu airport and take us to Kuala Besut for the ferry ride over (fast boat is about 30min, slow boat is about 1hr 30min).

Edit. Oops...Sorry confusing it with another trip to Perhentian heheh.... For Redang need to fly to Kuala Terrenganu, then get a minivan to Merang jetty for the ferry to Redang Island (think this trip was about 40 min)

behyx said:
KL really no good food.

Penang is the place for the real deal :)

I've a KL friend who also has the same comment as me about KL food. Jalan Alor is a huge disappointment. Petaling street's food is worse...

Just like anywhere, you need to know where to go for the good food. I was in KL for a year with work, only ate in Petaling street once. KL has great food, just need knowledgeable locals to show you where. Penang also has great food - it's easier to find good food in Penang for visitors than it is in KL as it's a much smaller place.

trlnlty said:
KL no good food.... hm.....

i beg to defer considering every singaporean who i've brought to KL wants to go back :dunno:

Well, I will go with Trinity on this one. :) As far as I know, he is an excellent guide. ;)
J, next time when i go down KL, i'll PM you for tips on where to go eat. ;)

gooseberry said:
Edit. Oops...Sorry confusing it with another trip to Perhentian heheh.... For Redang need to fly to Kuala Terrenganu, then get a minivan to Merang jetty for the ferry to Redang Island (think this trip was about 40 min)

Heheh.. its ok. :) How much did the flight cost and if i were to book locally, which agent would be good?

Do advice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.