trip to prague

sachokphantom

Mar 26, 2010
singapore
Hi guys.. just wondering if any one had to prague before? will be stay around 7 days.. will be enough? is the country using euros? (could not check any info abt that in google) any more recommend places?:)

I was over at Prague about 1 month back. Was there for nearly a week. There are quite a number of places to visit over there. Some of the most famous and must visit/see places are: The Old town Square, Astronomical Clock, Municipal House, Wenceslas Square, National Museum, Charles Bridge (remember to go rub the dog) & Prague Castle. Please do note that the day and night of these place do look very different due to the lightning (if I remember correctly the street lights are only turned on after 9pm). The main currency there is Czech Crown although some places (not many) do accept Euros. What you can do is bring Euros there to change at the airport or hotel. Remember to tips. :p

i went there in 1992, when it was still really cheap - our hostel bedsit was like S$10 back then. It's still one of my favourite cities.. and hope to visit it again some day.

I thought there was an earlier thread on this and dug it out : http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377949

enjoy!

so its the best i change euro currency in sg?( which a lot told 2 do so) n change 2 czech crown in the airport itself? how abt transport? wat i read in wikitravel is all abt foreigners being cheated.. :) is it true?

oh ok.. thanks a lot 4 digging up old thread 4 me.. its diff fr wat i read in wiki travel.. :)

so its the best i change euro currency in sg?( which a lot told 2 do so) n change 2 czech crown in the airport itself? how abt transport? wat i read in wikitravel is all abt foreigners being cheated.. :) is it true?

That's what I did. Changes euro from Sing here and bring there over there. I would prefer to change euro to crown over at the hotel as I found the exchange rate is be better at the hotel. But you will still need to change some at the hotel because of the taxi fare from the airport to the hotel which should be around 350 to 450 crown if your hotel is some where near to the city centre.

As for transport, When I was there I took the metro or walked never took any taxi except to-fro the airport.

About been cheated, you will find that Prague is a tourist city (think most of the people you will meet there are tourist) it is inevitable that you get "cheated" a bit here and there. Prague is not as terrible as what most online sites described. ;)

oh ok.. thanks again.. since tourist attraction location, i assume budget expenditure will on a high site? do u pose any pic during ur stay there? :)

I find there things cost higher than here e.g. 70 to 90 crown for a bottle of 200ml coke (yup, i didn't wrote wrongly. It is indeed 200ml and not 330ml). Will PM you my web album's URL.

I just came back from a 2 month study+fun trip to several European cities, and one of them was Prague.

In comparison to other places in the Czech Republic, Prague is rather expensive, but I wouldn't say that it's unreasonably so. Full meals can be under 150 crowns (SGD$10) if you eat at less popular locations. Beer (the Czech word is pivo) is insanely cheap, and often ends up being cheaper than the equivalent in bottled water or soft drinks.

I definitely agree with the other posters that Prague is a very touristy city, you pretty much can't get away from it all even if you tried pretty hard. I found that the old town, where most of the tourist attractions that the other posters have mentioned are located, is quite a bit more crowded and has less charm than the other parts of the city, especially the lesser town (mala strana) across the Vltava River.

But precisely because Prague is so full of tourists, you shouldn't have any communication issues, as the locals mostly can speak English (although to varying extents). This isn't really the case if you somehow decide to venture beyond Prague. In Brno, the second-largest city in the Czech Republic (and where my "base" was), English was very rare, and most of the time I was reduced to pointing and gesturing.

A note regarding transport: if you decide to use their public transport, remember to validate your ticket when you board (day tickets only need to be validated once and then they're valid for 24 hours). You validate the ticket by inserting it into a machine next to the entrance, and the machine prints a line of numbers on it. This is really important because their public transport works on an honour system, but their random checks are fairly frequent and the fine is huge.

haha...I still remember when I board their transport system , but din know need to validate.
Holding the ticket like a fool, thinking why should I even bother to buy a ticket, cos nobody even bother to check do I have the ticket or not?!!??!!
only the last day than I realise there is a machine in the tram or at the entrance to "chop" the date and time on the ticket. brought 4 ticket but only validate one!!

Oh, one thing must try is the night boat trip, especially if you're with wife/ gf. A bit ex, but well worth it. Comes with dinner and tour of city as well.

Oh, and another thing, I found prague food terrible. Full of salt. If u happen to get a place where u can cook, don't think you'd regret. Else just mackers and Italian was what I found palatable. Try the Prague mackers version of a souvlaki-not bad. I spent almost 3 weeks there so maybe I got sick of the food there.

I find there things cost higher than here e.g. 70 to 90 crown for a bottle of 200ml coke (yup, i didn't wrote wrongly. It is indeed 200ml and not 330ml). Will PM you my web album's URL.

Wow. Guess need tag my water bottle as well. ;) is $2k sg enough 4 my wife n i only?

Prague food salty? I think it's the entire continent food are sailty!!!! But I was told that you need the sodium due to the winter cold condition.

I just spent May in CZ for work and enjoyed it for the most part, weather was lousy, rainy and cold I was there for work so it didn't matter much. It's better now. The popular tourist areas are also where the most crime happens be cautious of pick pockets and make sure you keep your cam secured when eating in outdoor places.

If you've had enough of Prague there's some nice towns around you can check out. Kutna Hora is a popular day trip has some nice scenery a great church, medieval mines and also Sedlec Ossuary which is an interesting one of a kind place in the area (check out images on google, cool place if you've got a darker side).

Cesky Krumlov is a bit too far for a short stay (3 hour drive) but a great town in the bends of the Vltava River in Southern Czech Republic

In Prague the street performers are cool and there are some good night shot opportunities, in general good place for street photog, lots of homeless so be ready for that. If you want to relax take the funicular up Petrin Hill (mini Eiffel tower gardens etc). Beer is cheap and good, food is pretty standard meat and two veg type stuff although you can get pretty much anything in Prague. Becherovka the local liquor has an interesting flavor (cloves).

Enjoy it's a beautiful city

I just came back from a 2 month study+fun trip to several European cities, and one of them was Prague.

In comparison to other places in the Czech Republic, Prague is rather expensive, but I wouldn't say that it's unreasonably so. Full meals can be under 150 crowns (SGD$10) if you eat at less popular locations. Beer (the Czech word is pivo) is insanely cheap, and often ends up being cheaper than the equivalent in bottled water or soft drinks.

I definitely agree with the other posters that Prague is a very touristy city, you pretty much can't get away from it all even if you tried pretty hard. I found that the old town, where most of the tourist attractions that the other posters have mentioned are located, is quite a bit more crowded and has less charm than the other parts of the city, especially the lesser town (mala strana) across the Vltava River.

But precisely because Prague is so full of tourists, you shouldn't have any communication issues, as the locals mostly can speak English (although to varying extents). This isn't really the case if you somehow decide to venture beyond Prague. In Brno, the second-largest city in the Czech Republic (and where my "base" was), English was very rare, and most of the time I was reduced to pointing and gesturing.

A note regarding transport: if you decide to use their public transport, remember to validate your ticket when you board (day tickets only need to be validated once and then they're valid for 24 hours). You validate the ticket by inserting it into a machine next to the entrance, and the machine prints a line of numbers on it. This is really important because their public transport works on an honour system, but their random checks are fairly frequent and the fine is huge.

oh ok :).. thanks 4 the info.. still remember how the transport fare is like?

haha...I still remember when I board their transport system , but din know need to validate.
Holding the ticket like a fool, thinking why should I even bother to buy a ticket, cos nobody even bother to check do I have the ticket or not?!!??!!
only the last day than I realise there is a machine in the tram or at the entrance to "chop" the date and time on the ticket. brought 4 ticket but only validate one!!

Oh, one thing must try is the night boat trip, especially if you're with wife/ gf. A bit ex, but well worth it. Comes with dinner and tour of city as well.

haha.. ok will bear in mind 2 validate the ticket..:) btw how am i 2 book the night boat trip? :)

I just spent May in CZ for work and enjoyed it for the most part, weather was lousy, rainy and cold I was there for work so it didn't matter much. It's better now. The popular tourist areas are also where the most crime happens be cautious of pick pockets and make sure you keep your cam secured when eating in outdoor places.

If you've had enough of Prague there's some nice towns around you can check out. Kutna Hora is a popular day trip has some nice scenery a great church, medieval mines and also Sedlec Ossuary which is an interesting one of a kind place in the area (check out images on google, cool place if you've got a darker side).

Cesky Krumlov is a bit too far for a short stay (3 hour drive) but a great town in the bends of the Vltava River in Southern Czech Republic

In Prague the street performers are cool and there are some good night shot opportunities, in general good place for street photog, lots of homeless so be ready for that. If you want to relax take the funicular up Petrin Hill (mini Eiffel tower gardens etc). Beer is cheap and good, food is pretty standard meat and two veg type stuff although you can get pretty much anything in Prague. Becherovka the local liquor has an interesting flavor (cloves).

thanks 4 the info.. :) just cant wait 4 my 10 yrs anniversery..

oh ya.. i also read up in wikitravel tat there a lot of pickpocket in the city.. ok will take note of tat.. btw i'll b booking tru zuji.. is tat recommended?

oh ok :).. thanks 4 the info.. still remember how the transport fare is like?

There are a number of different fares for single trips depending on the length of the trip, but I didn't and still don't really understand how they calculate it. Day passes are 100 crowns, and for some inexplicable reason, a 3 day pass is 330, not 300. So it's smarter to keep buying day passes.

Oh, the machines that sell the tickets and passes only accept coins. So do have change handy. If you really don't have coins and it's late at night or some other odd time, you are going to have a very hard time buying tickets. Cigarette stores sell tickets too, and they accept notes.

oh ya.. i also read up in wikitravel tat there a lot of pickpocket in the city.. ok will take note of tat.. btw i'll b booking tru zuji.. is tat recommended?

hey guys, i was there with my family for holiday in June this year in Prague. it was a pleasant stay ... we ventured out for walks and sightseeing, concerts, etc ... the places around town are safe and clean, people are decent (better than many other places in europe i know of) ... so don't get phobic by just reading some guidebooks.

We took the train out of Prague (2 hrs one way) ... and realised very quickly that not many people you meet on the street speak a single word of English, so beware.

Cesky Krumlov is sort of far away (3 hrs at least from Prague), so unless you have plenty of time, it is better to check out those castles within 1.5 hrs out of Prague... there are many castles everywhere.