Trip to Laos

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckgoh

Oct 2, 2005
tiong bahru
hello everyone....i will be going to Vientiane Laos for work from 16 sep to 4 oct...will be there to take lots of photos too...anyone keen to join me?

Sorry for being a bit thick-skinned ..... you got extra accomodation space?? if yes, I wouldnt mind taking some leave to join you :thumbsup:!

sure...just come...anyway the accomodation is cheap $35 per night per room with 2 beds hot shower, etc

sure...just come...anyway the accomodation is cheap $35 per night per room with 2 beds hot shower, etc

i think MLSK was referring ..if the accomodation is going to be FREEEEE :bsmilie:

hahha....unless you want to share room...laos is a nice place to take photos...cheap place to live....nice food

yap. the hotel there - they call guest house- are cheap. some even US10 per night. the one i am going to stay LV Rivervine, next to mekong river. comes with bathroom with hotel water shower, tv, beds, breakfast, aircon, housekeeping everyday, towel change.

go la...place there is nice...

hey, this sounds good... pass me the details, will arrange for a 3-4 days trip if possible...

yap. the hotel there - they call guest house- are cheap. some even US10 per night. the one i am going to stay LV Rivervine, next to mekong river. comes with bathroom with hotel water shower, tv, beds, breakfast, aircon, housekeeping everyday, towel change.

go la...place there is nice...

sounds good to go! details of this place, pls ....:D

Tigerairways flies you to Udon Thani, UTH (northern thai) every tue, thu, sat. if you book early, you can get airfare as low as $170 return include taxes.

From UTH, take a mini coach to Nong Khai at abt $10. 30 - 40 min ride. You can book the coach at the one and only bus counter when you checkout.

Clear the thai immigration at Nong Kia. Then take the one and only bus service that ply Thai-Laos Friendship Bridge at $1 which comes very regularly.

Upon exiting the immigration at Laos, you will see counters that provide taxi service. Prices are std. Take a taxi to Vientiane at $10. 30 min ride.

I will be there from 17 sep to 28 sep for a posting at SingaporeLaos Training Centre. after that i will stay till 4 Oct for community work.

If you keen, let me know so that i can help you book accomodation. Can also bring you to visit our Singapore Embassy and places.

Std of living relatively cheap and yet you can find modern eateries like restaurants, pastries shop, pubs, cafe, besides the roadside stalls that sells variety of food $1-$1.50. Internet 1 hr $1.50. laundry service $3 for abt 8 shirts/pants. mimeral water 30cent small bottle. whole bbq fish $3 (szie abt length of arm). beer 70cent/bottle. prata (nice!!) 50cent

For a 4 day stay, $300 is more than enough. include guest house.

thanks for great info!!
I just booked 2 tiger tics to Undon Thani - at $0.03 each way but will only travel 26 Jan 08 & return 29 Jan 08 ... :( Looks like we will just miss you by a couple of months ...

If I had 3 nights, should I spend all 3 nights at Vientiane or should I spend a night at Udon Thani? Sorry for OT ....

oh! you can check out this restaurant called "Kua Lao". it's in the city center and the food's good with life cultural shows. :) have a super trip!

wow...3cents! if you like to see udon thani, best is that you spend the 3rd night there...so that you dont have to wake up EARLY in the morning of 29 at Vientiane at arrive UTH airport to catch your 9.20 flight. check out from Vientiane guest house on 28 morning and you can spend a day/night at Udon. you can get good and cheap hotel there. $50 a night.

Sunshingal...which part of Laos have you been too? Vang Vieng? Luang Prabuang? I havent been to these places yet. so far stuck at Vientiane for my last 4 trips. perhaps we can organise a trip in march next year for CS

cheers

me only vientiane too!! but it was a crazy experience cos i travelled on a 22 hour bus ride from hanoi to vientiane. and got cheated.. ended up at the back of the bus with no seats! haha.. so dun get cheated! but laos is a nice place.. minus my scary (and super long) bus ride!

I just returned from Vientiane last week. You will definitely need to stay in Udon Thani if you are taking the Tiger Airways back to Singapore as you need to be at the airport at 0730.
It is cheaper and less hassle to go to the bus station in UT city and catch the air-con bus there. The bus will bring you all the way to the bus station in Vientiane. This bus will be stopping at both Immigration Checkpoints and wait for you! The fare is only 80 bahts(about S$3.70) per person. However, you have to have a pre-paid visa or holding an Asean country passport(Singaporeans no problem!). You have no problem catching the 1030 bus if you are going there by Tiger which lands at 0850.
Try to stay at a hotel near the bus station and you can even save the tut-tut fare!
Enjoy!

ya. note that Laos Immigration opens at 6am. so far, i did not stay at Udon. Rely on Laos friends to send me to Laos immigration in the morning.

also, you can book a pte car instead of bus. its more comfortable. cheap also.

there are lots of nice food ard - dun miss the roadside stalls and coffeeshops - cheap and good. you can take tuk tuk to somsomthai road -or u tell tuk tuk to go to Culural Hall or Xayoh Cafe. lots of food at night. most stalls close at 11 to 11.30.

there is this coffee stall manned by a lady - very famous among laotians. let me look out for the photo and i will post it here.

if you like massage - dont miss LV massage. near Evening Market.

Status
Not open for further replies.