Trip to Kyoto, Japan, this weekend

hope107fm

Feb 9, 2008
Bedok, Singapore, Singapore
I will be spending one week in Kyoto from this weekend and am hoping to see some spectacular autumn colors at the usual tourist spots. This will be my second time there although the first for Autumn season.

I wonder if any Clubsnap members have recently returned from Kyoto or Osaka and can recommend the best spots to photograph autumn colors.

Thanks and hope to see some replies before Friday.:vhappy:

Thanks for the links and I appreciate your effort.

I have previously checked several websites on Autumn leaves timing in Kyoto but the Osaka one is new to me. The timing posted on these websites are at best estimates only.

I was hoping that someone might have just returned from Kyoto and be able to tell me firsthand which area in Kyoto to visit.

In any case, I am already committed to go and nothing can be done if my visit is a little too early. Nevertheless, knowing for sure gives you a greater satisfaction and anticipation.

Cheers

I know that this year, the autumn will be late around 2 weeks.
Hope there is autumn when you reach.
My trip to Japan is next 2 weeks. Let's pray. ^ ^

Thanks, Arshimo. You will definitely see the colors at their peak in the last week of Nov. I pray that at least I get to see some of the leaves turning red. If not, there's always the food and onsen to enjoy in Kyoto and Osaka, lol.

Hiroshima is a great place with excellent weather and great photo opportunities. A visit to the Peace Museum and the surrounding area is a must. Miyajima is a beautiful island. Don't forget to try the oysters there.

do post about your experience and images too.

i'll be heading to Kyoto and Tokyo next year

it'll be a great help!

Hiroshima is a great place with excellent weather and great photo opportunities. A visit to the Peace Museum and the surrounding area is a must. Miyajima is a beautiful island. Don't forget to try the oysters there.

oh man~
the oysters~

I am heading to Tokyo last week of November for a week by myself. Any recommendation? will be staying at hachioji...1 hr away from city...Thinking of visiting the usual places like shinjiku, harajuku, shibuya etc..bring a tripod for self portrait.

I am heading to Tokyo last week of November for a week by myself. Any recommendation? will be staying at hachioji...1 hr away from city...Thinking of visiting the usual places like shinjiku, harajuku, shibuya etc..bring a tripod for self portrait.

I have not stayed at Hachioji City when I visited Tokyo on two occasions. I expect it to be just as busy as any of the other "cities" within the mega city of Tokyo. Instead, I stayed with a friend outside Tokyo, a place called Tamaplaza, quiet and definitely less crowded. Unless you like living in an urban environment where there's a constant hustle and bustle and you love shopping, I recommend you take day trips to Yokohama, Kamakura and the countryside. I also highly recommend a two-night stay in Hakone. If you are lucky enough to enjoy clear weather, you may be able to see Mt. Fuji from Lake Ashi. There are many interesting places to visit in Hakone and also many onsens.

If you plan to make day to Yokohama or Kamakura or even Hakone, I recommend you buy a JR Rail Pass for 7 days (about Yen 28,600 or approx. S$445). It is well worth it and saves a lot of hassle using the trains.

A good place to find out more about these places is to visit TripAdvisor's website and of course supplemented by a Japan guidebook. I have always liked Lonely Planet's Guides.

Yes, autumn is late this year by a week or two in Japan.

Check out this report dated just 2 days ago :
Autumn Color Report 2012: Kyoto Report

Based on the report, at least there is a few areas that already has some colours.

Was in Kyoto 2 weeks ago, but to catch some festivals instead of koyo. I'm now in Tokyo, and coming back this weekend :)

nuts said:
Yes, autumn is late this year by a week or two in Japan.

Check out this report dated just 2 days ago :
Autumn Color Report 2012: Kyoto Report

Based on the report, at least there is a few areas that already has some colours.

Was in Kyoto 2 weeks ago, but to catch some festivals instead of koyo. I'm now in Tokyo, and coming back this weekend :)

Thanks for the link. The report is encouraging and by the time i am midway thru the stay i shld be able to catch some great colors at those spots mentioned in the report.

Will be leaving for Kyoto tmr. Hope to take some good shots and post photos when i return.

Hope you had a great time in Japan.

I will be spending one week in Kyoto from this weekend and am hoping to see some spectacular autumn colors at the usual tourist spots. This will be my second time there although the first for Autumn season.

I wonder if any Clubsnap members have recently returned from Kyoto or Osaka and can recommend the best spots to photograph autumn colors.

Thanks and hope to see some replies before Friday.:vhappy:

Visited Tokyo and Osaka for the past 2 weeks.

Am currently in Kansai Airport waiting for my flight home.

For Osaka, you can consider Mino-o Park but the autumn colors are not full bloom yet.

Another location is Osaka Castle area itself. There is a Nishinomaru Garden, which does not leads to the castle, filled with many trees with autumn colours at full bloom.

I took one from the park.

Osaka Castle | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Entry is 200 yen just for the garden. Nothing much there inside except the colorful trees though. :)

Thanks Yapster and also to all those who took the trouble replying to my thread.

Mino-o Park looks like a good prospect. I just hope that i will have enough time to visit all the places.

Cheers and Kyoto here i come!

hope107fm said:
Thanks Yapster and also to all those who took the trouble replying to my thread.

Mino-o Park looks like a good prospect. I just hope that i will have enough time to visit all the places.

Cheers and Kyoto here i come!

For Kyoto area, you may wanna take a look at Nara.

I visited Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara last year around this period too. Same, not full bloom like Mino, but some trees leaves are very red already.

For mino, note it's a 3km hike up to the waterfall and back 3km.

Enjoy your trip! Weather here is sunny and cooling. :)

I have not stayed at Hachioji City when I visited Tokyo on two occasions. I expect it to be just as busy as any of the other "cities" within the mega city of Tokyo. Instead, I stayed with a friend outside Tokyo, a place called Tamaplaza, quiet and definitely less crowded. Unless you like living in an urban environment where there's a constant hustle and bustle and you love shopping, I recommend you take day trips to Yokohama, Kamakura and the countryside. I also highly recommend a two-night stay in Hakone. If you are lucky enough to enjoy clear weather, you may be able to see Mt. Fuji from Lake Ashi. There are many interesting places to visit in Hakone and also many onsens.

If you plan to make day to Yokohama or Kamakura or even Hakone, I recommend you buy a JR Rail Pass for 7 days (about Yen 28,600 or approx. S$445). It is well worth it and saves a lot of hassle using the trains.

A good place to find out more about these places is to visit TripAdvisor's website and of course supplemented by a Japan guidebook. I have always liked Lonely Planet's Guides.

Ya I have seen the rail pass but i might not head to Kamakura as i have heard mixed review about it. I was shocked when i read the price. it is ex! Do you think it is too long to stay and move around within Tokyo for a week? I planned the first 2 days to be in Tokyo region and 1-2 days for side trips before spending the last few days to be in Tokyo region. I cant speak a word of Jap, do you think it will be an issue?

Lastly, will bringing a tripod strapped to my bag around be an issue if i travel in the train? understand that they are very packed....

Cheers

Ya I have seen the rail pass but i might not head to Kamakura as i have heard mixed review about it. I was shocked when i read the price. it is ex! Do you think it is too long to stay and move around within Tokyo for a week? I planned the first 2 days to be in Tokyo region and 1-2 days for side trips before spending the last few days to be in Tokyo region. I cant speak a word of Jap, do you think it will be an issue?

Lastly, will bringing a tripod strapped to my bag around be an issue if i travel in the train? understand that they are very packed....

Cheers

I have just got back today from Kyoto and I couldn't access anything through my smartphone as there was no wi-fi in the hotel I stayed. So I hope you will see this reply before you're off to Tokyo.

Getting around in Japan is not a real problem even if you don't speak their language (I can't either); most Japanese (the students, men in business suits) understand basic English and generally go out of their way to help you. My experience all these years I have visited Japan has always been a pleasant one - barring that occasional rebuff, maybe it's because some of them are not confident in expressing themselves in English.

You can actually spend an entire week in and around Tokyo because there is so much to see and do. Of course, this depends on your objectives. For shoppers, Tokyo is a paradise. I am sure you have heard about Akihabara the famous electronics mecca. Even though you are not into shopping there are gardens, parks and shrines/temples to visit. At this time of the year, they are very pretty to photograph because of the autumn colors. Weekends at Harajuku is interesting and there are lots of young people in fashionable attire around. Best you read a guide book for some ideas on what interests you.

As you may know, Tokyo is a very busy city, so try to avoid using the trains at peak hours if you can. It is a real crush. If your camera bag and tripod are not too big (this is of course a relative thing) I don't see any problem in the train during OFF peak hours.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. I am heading off this sat actually. I think likely i will bring my tripod along to use for some night shots.

Will try to post some pic when i am back!

Cheers