Trip to JiuZhaiGou

Status
Not open for further replies.

hongwei

Nov 9, 2006
Hi,

Have any forummers went to China, Chengdu, JiuZhaiGou before?
Is there any good scenic must go spot to take good nice photos where you all can introduce?
Btw, do you need zoom lens of like 200mm to shoot there? Or those normal kit lens of 18-70mm is enough?

I heard that that is a very nice place but I never go before, so I hope to hear from here and prepare myself.

Thanks in advance

U probably need an ultra wide like 12-24 or something. And that is a beautiful place, u just have to shoot. Pls go there in the early morning to avoid the crowd. And by 10:00, it starts to become windy, so the lakes would be mirror flat.

sorry typo, it should be "wont be mirror flat"

Yup...its a very nice place...i think a normal kit lens 18-70 is probably good enough for most of the shots. You'll likely spend just 1-2 days at JZG itself. For 200mm, unless you're used to shooting landscapes with telephoto lenses, otherwise I doubt you'll use it much.

Best time to go would be autumn between Jul-Oct. But also note that its the most crowded time as well. In autumn you get the red autumn leaves with the green and blue waters...:lovegrin:

I went during winter last December. Alot less pple, but you do miss out the autumn scenery.

Autumn actually don't start until Oct. You won't see any red leaves if you go earlier than that.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Yeah ... infact, I will not only go JiuZhaiGou, my plan is that I will go to LeShan and ErMeiShan also so total trip is about a week then I will go to visit my relative liao ....
But to go in Oct will be super crowded and I believe it's hard to shoot also .... there will be alot of heads around in the picture.;p

i & my friend will be going in mid july... 10 days trip... will take a lot of pictures... hope to see fellow CS there...

i & my friend will be going in mid july... 10 days trip... will take a lot of pictures... hope to see fellow CS there...

Do remember to post the pics here when you are back ...
How are you planning to go there? Booked a tour here or free and easy on your own?
Enjoy your trip.

try to spend at least 2 days there.. one day is definitely not enough to cover such a big and beautiful place IMO.
Best time would be around October, my Chinese tourguide friend told me.
18-70 should be quite ok, but 12-24 wide angle would definitely open up a new perspective.

Mid of Oct, around 20 Oct is the best time to visit Jiuzhaigou.

Tips: Jiuzhaigou entrance ticket is for two days, but you must register at the ticket counter.
Tourists are not allowed to stay inside Jiuzhaigou park, if you go with your friends, and if you are not fussy with the living conditions, you can stay inside Jiuzhaigou (树正寨) with locals. The good thing to stay inside is you can take photos early in the morning, before all the tourists come in.

you also need to take a note, if u stay inside, be prepare for damn cold nite, coz there is no heater n hot water for shower...

Thanks for CSers on-coming suggestion and advise... appreciate alot.
I don't think I will stay inside, cos I will be going with my wife and parent-in-law and we are prepare to form a tour with 4 of us only. So we will have maximum flexibility.
I know that October is the best time to go to JiuZhaiGou, but I can't go at that time and early Sept is the only time I am availabe ... so no choice ... dun worry ... i will post the pics here to see if Sept is it a good time or not. :D

Oct is the best time to go & take photos in JiuZhaiGou, but it is also the most crowded and most expensive, u may not even find hotel room or transport, so i think either go 1 month before or 1 month after is much better.

Was there a few years back during early Sept. Already quite crowded but because I was there with a tour group, we could book one of their buses while we travelled within the park. Otherwise, you would have to jostle with the locals/tourists alike to get onboard the 'public' buses that run within the park. And they only stop at certain parts so expect some walking. Not easy to take artistic shots because it was too crowded. And the leaves were still a dull green so not that nice.

I was there end Oct 05,amazing scenic place.
I was lucky enough to visit the lakes on a sunny weather and then departed from the mountains next am (2/11/05) to see the snow falling,cover the road,bonus.
I feel anything 24-70mm(35mm equiv) is enough for whole trip.
well,if you bring 2 big cam with 2 big zoom in a backpack,the weight will bring you down at the height of >2400M with less O2.

Was there a few years back during early Sept. Already quite crowded but because I was there with a tour group, we could book one of their buses while we travelled within the park. Otherwise, you would have to jostle with the locals/tourists alike to get onboard the 'public' buses that run within the park. And they only stop at certain parts so expect some walking. Not easy to take artistic shots because it was too crowded. And the leaves were still a dull green so not that nice.

Hmmm .... after hearing this ... seems quite disappointing to have chose this date.
But no choice, what done cannot be undone. Just hope for the best! :)
Sometimes, you need to be optimistic. ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.