Aug 10, 2006
This is my Trip to KuMing... comments pls

1)
2nd-village_s-children.jpg

2)
Farmer.jpg

3)
Da-Ti.jpg

I'm going there next month, any advice on what lens to bring or any other travel tips?

need to watch on the exposure. slight overexposed / burnt areas. usually when shooting flim/slides i will underexpose it.

and later handle them via photoshop.

composition skills need polishing.

like all starters, very snapish aka snap shotish....

get close to the action u might just get the shot u want.

its not all about freezing the moment with every thing in sharp detail thou....

shoot more.....

I like the first one though the picture seems a little bit noisy. Is it because you were behind a window at that time?

btw, I think it should be KunMing instead of KuMing

PnS said:
I'm going there next month, any advice on what lens to bring or any other travel tips?

prolly u might want to tell the threadstarter on what u intend to bring ? like wad DSLR, or any thing.....

usually for travel, pple will usually pack ultra WA lens and one more zoom....

for me. 17-35 and its good to go.....

wide angles would be good..... what will you be shooting there first in the first place? ;)

PnS said:

thanks glennyong for your kind comments.

i haf asked him personally on this issue thou. and he stated several possiblities.

first it was because i used ISO400 flim in broad daylight, and because i scanned the 4r photo directly via a scanner, thats why the grain or noise was visible...

4)
Flower02.jpg

5)
LuCong-Pri.jpg

6)
Flower9.jpg

#4 #5 #6

Pictures turned out to be noisy and white little spots spotted also. What ISO was used? And you might wanna blow away the dust with blower or lens tissue to get it off.

And #5 you might wanna crop away the white stuff on the right.

versatile said:
Pictures turned out to be noisy and white little spots spotted also. What ISO was used? And you might wanna blow away the dust with blower or lens tissue to get it off.

u should have read the 6th post. he mentioned that he scanned the images at 4R, which means they are developed photos / printed photos and scanned directly via a normal scanner.

as from Jeff_Tan, he told me that he used a normal ASA / ISO 400 flim is broad daylight, and under those lighting conditions, and scanning, grain would then be obvious. however if scanned directly via a flim scanner, the effect would be better at a price of the cost which i dun think he would want to do that. ;)

to my understanding, he is trying to keep cost low from not sending them for negatives scanning. :dunno:

i believe many of us here would comment on the grain issue, and i havent seen anyone comment on issues like composition, technicalities of the picture like exposure and settings.

come on, besides the grain. ;)

Jeff_Tan said:

there are many situations where overexposure becomes inevitable so i won't go into that, but i particularly like this piece, i think it carries quite abit of story inside, try giving it an appropriate title :)

glennyong said:
prolly u might want to tell the threadstarter on what u intend to bring ? like wad DSLR, or any thing.....

usually for travel, pple will usually pack ultra WA lens and one more zoom....

for me. 17-35 and its good to go.....

wide angles would be good..... what will you be shooting there first in the first place? ;)

I'm bringing 350D, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Speedlight 420ex, Tripod, CPL, maybe Tian Ya GND, maybe Tamron 28-75, is that too heavy? I think the Tripod will kill me... Want to capture the natural scenery & cultural atmostphere.:)

PnS said:
I'm bringing 350D, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Speedlight 420ex, Tripod, CPL, maybe Tian Ya GND, maybe Tamron 28-75, is that too heavy? I think the Tripod will kill me... Want to capture the natural scenery & cultural atmostphere.:)

if you are travelling at own time own target, bringing a tripod is fine because i brought my tripod when i travel.

Sigma 10-20, 17-50 would be fine..... 28-75 would be redundant because it is already overlapping with the 17-50... i dun think its worth the extra weight too.

the Tian Ya GND is ok. 420EX is ok la.... the weight will not kill you also.. 2 lens is fine....

but remember to bring lots of CF card or a image photo bank if necessary.... :thumbsup:

glennyong said:
if you are travelling at own time own target, bringing a tripod is fine because i brought my tripod when i travel.

Sigma 10-20, 17-50 would be fine..... 28-75 would be redundant because it is already overlapping with the 17-50... i dun think its worth the extra weight too.

the Tian Ya GND is ok. 420EX is ok la.... the weight will not kill you also.. 2 lens is fine....

but remember to bring lots of CF card or a image photo bank if necessary.... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info, I'm going on tour package, can leave tripod on coach if it's not needed. To capture close up of people's facial expression, would you think 17-50 is sufficient or would you carry a 70-200 along? Coz i find it difficult to capture people's natural expression over here whenever they realise a camera is pointing at them...

well... the 10-20 is a good bet. with the 70-200, it would be a good choice thou.... but if you had a 50 1.8 it would be good time to bring it out also.

if u think u can carry the extra weight u should bring the 70-200.

well. its you after all.....

usually pple who go travelling with tour groups. its usually a general zooms as highly likely u will not have time to stand there to compose the shot and think the whole day too....

;)

Thanks for the advice, luckily my 70-200 is a f4... :D

glennyong said:
well... the 10-20 is a good bet. with the 70-200, it would be a good choice thou.... but if you had a 50 1.8 it would be good time to bring it out also.

if u think u can carry the extra weight u should bring the 70-200.

well. its you after all.....

usually pple who go travelling with tour groups. its usually a general zooms as highly likely u will not have time to stand there to compose the shot and think the whole day too....

;)

PnS said:
Thanks for the advice, luckily my 70-200 is a f4... :D

then... it should be relatively light then.. hahaha.... the last time i went backpacking... it was a 70-200 f/2.8 + 3 more others...... total load on my baggage was like 78kg on backpack and 87kg on 2nd pack.....

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: SIA staff almost wanted to scream my heads off when i carried my 1st pack up because of my camera and equipments.. :bsmilie:

Now that you mentioned, I hope my hand carried back-pack dont exceed the weight and size limit, I definitely do not want to check my equipment in... and oh no what about tripod??? The length is gonna exceed the limit...

glennyong said:
then... it should be relatively light then.. hahaha.... the last time i went backpacking... it was a 70-200 f/2.8 + 3 more others...... total load on my baggage was like 78kg on backpack and 87kg on 2nd pack.....

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: SIA staff almost wanted to scream my heads off when i carried my 1st pack up because of my camera and equipments.. :bsmilie:

tripod, monopod all very pointless to carry up because they are heavy, and take up space....

all these u dump in ur check-in bags. while things like camera, laptop n lenses and those wine and beer that u are bringing along, better hand carry up.

and dun bring such a big bag up unless u know the person sitting beside u... or else it will be a bad start off for a holiday liao.... ;)

If you intend to do some night images it would be wise to bring a tripod, you will likely need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.