Trip to Bali

patrick76

Nov 27, 2012
Singapore
I will be going to Bali during Chinese New Year and I planned to rent Canon EF 16 -35 mm F2.8 Lens for my landscape shot. I planned to rent ND filters as well.

What stops of filter will be commonly used for such a trip?

I will be going to Bali during Chinese New Year and I planned to rent Canon EF 16 -35 mm F2.8 Lens for my landscape shot. I planned to rent ND filters as well.

Hmm... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any shop here rents filters, not the type I think you're intending to rent anyway (I'm thinking slot in). In any case, I think it might well be cheaper to actually buy the filter.

As for what type of filters, it really depends on what type of shot. Perhaps you could have a look at this sticky: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803029

Last edited:

Neither do I know of any shops that rent filters. You can try Haida filters for a start. What type of filters? Depends on what you need actually.

i would recommend
3stop GND Soft
3stop GND Hard
10stop ND
CPL

that should work for most situation

Since the sun at Bali is the same as in Singapore you can test here already what filters are useful. There are some starter kits with a basic selection and a filter holder.
Btw: Landscape shooters will use ND and GND, the latter one being usually square filters to adjust the transition zone in the frame.

Hmm what kind of landscape are you planning to take? Cityscape/seascape/architecture? Some require gnd some don't if you can PP after that. Normally you can start with 3, 6, 10 stops ND filter as you can adjust 1-2 stops inside your camera settings such as shutter speed and aperture.

A thought just came to my mind....Can we use a ND filter as a replacement to GND filters especially for hard type? Since for the hard type, the bottom half is essentially clear. We can insert the ND filter such that it covers the bright part of the scene only.

A thought just came to my mind....Can we use a ND filter as a replacement to GND filters especially for hard type? Since for the hard type, the bottom half is essentially clear. We can insert the ND filter such that it covers the bright part of the scene only.
No, the edge of the filter will be visible in the frame as line. Also, although the filter is labelled as 'hard edge', it is still a gradual transition zone of a few mm from clear to target density.

What sort of holder should I buy if I intend to use those rectangle slot in type? I am using a Canon 6D now.

What sort of holder should I buy if I intend to use those rectangle slot in type? I am using a Canon 6D now.
The simple Tianya holder is fine, comes with three slots and adapter ring. Depending on your lens(es) you might want to get stepping rings to use the same holder for all lenses. As long as you don't shoot wider than 16mm the 3 slot holder works well. For anything wider, best to get those holders with only a single slot. Not sure whether Tianya still has it, otherwise get Cokin or any other holder for that. Important: they come in different but standardized sizes. Obviously you will need the same size for all filters and the holder. Most common: p size, or the bigger z size.
For some hands on and test I recommend Orient Photo, Sim Lim, 6th floor (and ONLY this shop in Sim Lim). Bring your camera and your widest lens for testing.

Last edited:

The simple Tianya holder is fine, comes with three slots and adapter ring. Depending on your lens(es) you might want to get stepping rings to use the same holder for all lenses. As long as you don't shoot wider than 16mm the 3 slot holder works well. For anything wider, best to get those holders with only a single slot. Not sure whether Tianya still has it, otherwise get Cokin or any other holder for that. Important: they come in different but standardized sizes. Obviously you will need the same size for all filters and the holder. Most common: p size, or the bigger z size.
For some hands on and test I recommend Orient Photo, Sim Lim, 6th floor (and ONLY this shop in Sim Lim). Bring your camera and your widest lens for testing.

Actually... since Patrick is using a fullframe camera and intending to use a relatively wide angle lens with the filters, he is going to need to use 100mm slot in filters, and probably need a wide angle adaptor ring as well to avoid vignetting. The Tianya filters and Cokin P series are too small for his purposes. Cokin Z-Pro would be ok though, as it's 100mm.

Can I get it at Funan? I will be going down to Funan today.

I look at Cokin website. It seems like Cokin Z-Pro series is suitable for my use. What will be a price range for Cokin Z-Pro series?

I guess most will be using filters for landscape but I do also see people using it with prime lens during the day so as to get the bokeh effect. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I look at Cokin website. It seems like Cokin Z-Pro series is suitable for my use. What will be a price range for Cokin Z-Pro series?

I guess most will be using filters for landscape but I do also see people using it with prime lens during the day so as to get the bokeh effect. Please correct me if I am wrong.

To be honest, I don't know how much it costs as it has never crossed my mind to buy the Cokin Z series. Maybe someone else here might be able to help you out. But I think the best way is probably to either go around various shops and ask, or give them a call (during their business hours, of course).

I feel a need to point out that Cokin is not the only maker of 100mm filters out there, nor are they the only maker of 100mm filter holders. It might be good idea to take a look at the other options available before plunging in. Popular brands include Lee, Hitech, Haida, as well as various other third party manufacturers.

Yes, ND filters can be used to lower shutter speeds so as to be able to use large apertures in bright daylight. But the filters used for this purpose will be relatively "weak" NDs, of just a couple of stops (probably not more than 2-3 stops). Landscape photography does make use of weaker ND filters as well, but a lot of times, very "strong" ones (like 10 stops) are used as well.

I don't remember any of the usual shops sell the Cokin Z series holder. I remember TK Foto (Funan lvl 2) and Orient Photo (Sim Lim lvl 6) sells both original LEE and 3rd party 100mm filter holders with adapter rings, you can check TK Foto's website for original LEE holder and filter prices, 3rd party holder + adapter sets you back a bit more than $100

Pardon me but I feel you need to know what you are buying and why in the first place. If you are not sure and just buying because others are using it, when you are in the field you will not know what to use and it will go to waste.

Chinese New Year is just around the corner, unless you have time to practice setting up and know what to use in different situations, I would suggest just bringing what you have. In situations when your camera is not able to cope with the dynamic range of the scene just take bracketed shots.

Having a holiday is to have fun rather than fretting what to buy and what to use. Just my 2 cents :)
Enjoy your trip!

Z-pro filters are getting very rare because Cokin got into financial trouble recently. They have been bought over by Tokina. While stocks of the P-series filters got replenished, the Z-pro filters are still very thin on stock. You can try Orient photo who are the folks most likely to stock it if it is in stock.

Cokin filters are famous for their color-cast though.

I don't remember any of the usual shops sell the Cokin Z series holder. I remember TK Foto (Funan lvl 2) and Orient Photo (Sim Lim lvl 6) sells both original LEE and 3rd party 100mm filter holders with adapter rings, you can check TK Foto's website for original LEE holder and filter prices, 3rd party holder + adapter sets you back a bit more than $100

Pardon me but I feel you need to know what you are buying and why in the first place. If you are not sure and just buying because others are using it, when you are in the field you will not know what to use and it will go to waste.

Chinese New Year is just around the corner, unless you have time to practice setting up and know what to use in different situations, I would suggest just bringing what you have. In situations when your camera is not able to cope with the dynamic range of the scene just take bracketed shots.

Having a holiday is to have fun rather than fretting what to buy and what to use. Just my 2 cents :)
Enjoy your trip!

Bro thoongeng is right. It takes practice to know how to use filters properly. Anyway TS wish you all the best in your upcoming trip.

I would very much like to try out filters.

I am looking for something which is robust and lasting.

I went to TK Foto yesterday. They promoted the Lee foundation kit to me. It cost about $400 plus. As I am starting out, I am not sure if I want to spend on such high end products at the moment.