Triggering Infra-Red laser

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfgang

Apr 29, 2002
Riddle Realms
wolfgang.clubsnap.org
I was using my SB24 Nikon Speedlight with my nikon F601 in TTL mode when i realise that when it gets too dark, the flash will assist with a red "laser" marking on the subject.

Question is, can the laser be triggered in any other way when it is coupled with a Fuji S602 when the SB24 is set to Auto mode?

Because if that is possible, then the low light AF will be a non issue already... ;p

Anyone can shed any light (pun un-intended) on this? :)

Originally posted by Wolfgang
I was using my SB24 Nikon Speedlight with my nikon F601 in TTL mode when i realise that when it gets too dark, the flash will assist with a red "laser" marking on the subject.

Question is, can the laser be triggered in any other way when it is coupled with a Fuji S602 when the SB24 is set to Auto mode?

Because if that is possible, then the low light AF will be a non issue already... ;p

Read b4 someone modified the canon speedlights to use manual switches for the AF lamp. Maybe u can try doing the same?

You cannot, unless you do a mean modification to both camera and flash. Think about it.

An alternative would be to use an "always-on" light source such as an LED torch. But can be very bright and irritating (like the D30 AF assist light!).

Furthermore, the focus assist illumination from the SB24 may not work well for digicams, even though it works well for AF SLRs.

This experiment may be good to try. Under low light conditions which the digicam is unable to focus on the subject, use the SB24+F601 combo, aim at the same subject and trigger the focus assist lamp by half-pressing the shutter release button. Then, see if the digicam can focus on the subject (with the AF assist illumination from the SB24). The digicam and the F601 should be as clse to each other as possible, and you may need the help of another person to conduct this experiment.

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Yeah, like YS said, you need to modify both the flash and camera. The IR assist is triggered by one of the pins below by sending a special signal to the flash. Long ago, someone modded a SB22 to have an ext. switch to turn on the IR thing....

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Yeah, like YS said, you need to modify both the flash and camera. The IR assist is triggered by one of the pins below by sending a special signal to the flash. Long ago, someone modded a SB22 to have an ext. switch to turn on the IR thing....

Regards
CK

Got interested by the idea and went digging for info in dpreview.

-quote-
So I found out if you place 1.5 v across the below pins I could get the AF to turn on

Side Contact (5) <------
~
- +
~ -
~
Back AF Pin (4) <-------

Upside down View of Flash.

Front Lens
------------
~ 1 ~
~ 2 ~ <side contact 5
~ 3 4 ~
------------
Back

BTW The flash will stay on as long as current is in place!
-quote-

I understand that there are some connectors u place on the hot shoe to use a external flash apart from the camera. Can such a connector be modified with flip switch to toggle a 1.5v current on and off?

good idea...if i can do the same for my 550EX, then i no need to get the expensive Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 just for AF assist

Originally posted by Wai
good idea...if i can do the same for my 550EX, then i no need to get the expensive Speedlite Transmitter ST-E2 just for AF assist

Hmmmmmmm... anyone? I am really not at all handy with circuits and electronics...

Originally posted by Wai

If I'm not wrong there IS a way to use the 550EX just for AF assist without triggering the flash (but not the 420EX). IIRC you set the 550EX to TTL mode. The AF assist will function, but the flash will not fire.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

If I'm not wrong there IS a way to use the 550EX just for AF assist without triggering the flash (but not the 420EX). IIRC you set the 550EX to TTL mode. The AF assist will function, but the flash will not fire.

i have not tried that yet....what is IIRC??

but i know for D60 (or other model except D30) , there is an option under custom function for you to disable the flash...but the AF assist lamp will still funciton

Originally posted by StreetShooter

iirc too, u can set that..
why not refer to the famous canon flasher faq?

Status
Not open for further replies.