Trigger happiness dilemma; to jump or NOT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
I've actually saved enough after 8 freaking months for a d100. But is this the time to plough all my savings for a 2 yr old camera now ? Dont tell me to think no further, just go buy it and start shooting, its the photographer that counts.
What I'm talking at the moment, is value for money, making the best use of my scarce financial resources. The d100, could be at the end of its time soon, and buying it at this point hardly makes any sense to my pocket, especially since it was hard saved. True, it is admirably good, but then, you never know how good the next would be, and as a consumer, you buy the best that money can provide. The d70 is out, but not yet released. A d100 successor is expected to be out, perhaps in the 2nd quarter of next year, and by the time it is release in the market, it'll be already in the 3rd quarter ( my estimates ). So it seems, its either a d100 at the moment or an unfufilled joy of trigger happiness until the d100 successor appears. But then again, I have an f80, which I still use often.

So how now brown cow ? give me some of your thoughts.

If I were in your situation, I would look out for good secondhand deals, especially from upgraders. You can get a good lens with the price difference between that and a first-hand camera.

FWIW I decided on the 10D vs the 1D because I decided the features of the 10D were more than sufficient for my needs and abilities. Your question should be whether the D100 fills your needs, or you need the extra features of the D70. Remember that if you get a 2nd hand D100 (with depreciation already factored in) you can always sell that off later at only a small loss (or even a gain, if you got a very good deal), in order to upgrade.

But certainly, with digital especially, there's no point waiting, because there will always be a better one just around the corner.

The D70 is the rebel, meant to counter 300D. (Ok Canon guys... this is not flame bait... so don't start a war...) So it might not have the *all* features D100 has.

The D100 has been around for so long, surviving 3 price changes, $3888, $3288, $2988 and still going strong. Even if Nikon is to announce the release of it's successor D200 (or D88? or D24?) 1 year will be spent on research... another 1 year to release... come to time... another 2 years+ wait (Nikon's well known for that, ain't they? ;))

For me, technology moves, the D100 is good for it's price. Even if D200 comes out, I'm pretty sure, it's a better and very obvious improvement over the D100, but the waiting time is there. You can wait forever... it will still get phased out sooner later. But at least not for another year or so :)

Whilst you wait.. you lose the chance to shoot :) 2nd hand is good too as StreetShooter has mentioned. For me, I don't see a point in waiting for the new one... 2 years and still going strong, it goes to prove that it's good enough for consumers.

U've saved enough for a D100...

Hmmm... Remember to save more for the...
tele-lens,wide-lens,macro-lens,grip,batteries,CF,flash,bounce,tripod,dryCabinet,cleaningEquipment,filters,polarizers,bleah...bleah...bleah...

The list never ends... ;)
The day you get your SLR body is not the end of your wait, but the beginning of your nightmare! :devil:

suggestion:

buy a 2nd hand d1x/d1h or save more for the d2h

My 2 rubles worth:

The second hand option is good if you want to do that. It will give you extra cash for the add-ons.

As for D70, it is to be fully-announced in Feb 04. This camera is to compete with the 300D and thus it will be priced lower than the D100 (which the 10D competes against). However, there will be lesser features. As for the D100, I doubt it will be announced in Q2 04. Why? 1) No registered trademark 2) D2X, which is older, is not announced and not even had that trademark registered. My feel is that they will announced in in Q4 04 or even Q1 05 and release it in the following quarter. This fits Nikon's normal practise of releasing a replacement about once every 3 years. That gives you 1+ year before the replacement comes out.

ask yourself,do u really need a digital SLR ?what issit dat ur F80 can't do for u ?
do you really shoot dat much in ur F80 to justify the DSLR cost ?
No point buying a DSLR for posing purposes..are u really interested in photography or just love to play with equipments ??

Well said Kex. Personally, unless you shoot alot or thinking of upgrading from a consummer to a pro set, than it is time to switch to DSLR.

kex said:
ask yourself,do u really need a digital SLR ?what issit dat ur F80 can't do for u ?
do you really shoot dat much in ur F80 to justify the DSLR cost ?
No point buying a DSLR for posing purposes..are u really interested in photography or just love to play with equipments ??

I dont shoot alot to be truthful, averaging perhaps 1 roll a week or perhaps 2 for the past one year. I used to shoot alot, with my A40 powershot, and I must admit that I miss being trigger happy. I shoot less because of cost constrains of photo development. But of course, I'm more selective with me shots now, often taking 2-3 days to finish a roll. Some shots are lost inevitably, and some moments of hesitation just simply ruin candid shots. I wish I could shoot more, but its difficult with film. If I'm loaded, I would buy a medium format cam with a quality film scanner, but I'm that's not the case. So APS sized dslrs seem to be the way to go..... . At least for the present moment.

marcwang said:
I dont shoot alot to be truthful, averaging perhaps 1 roll a week or perhaps 2 for the past one year. I used to shoot alot, with my A40 powershot, and I must admit that I miss being trigger happy. I shoot less because of cost constrains of photo development. But of course, I'm more selective with me shots now, often taking 2-3 days to finish a roll. Some shots are lost inevitably, and some moments of hesitation just simply ruin candid shots. I wish I could shoot more, but its difficult with film. If I'm loaded, I would buy a medium format cam with a quality film scanner, but I'm that's not the case. So APS sized dslrs seem to be the way to go..... . At least for the present moment.

Marc,

I'd suggest you hold out until the D70 actually hits the shelves as there's a good chance Nikon will further lower the price on the D100. One thing to remember is that if the D100 is good enough for your requirements right now it will still be good enough for your requirements in 1,2,3~5 years time.

if can wait, wait a while more. At least wait till the specs for the D70 is firmed and decide if the D70 is sufficient for your needs.

I used a D100 recently. Pretty good. I cannot really tell difference between a D60/10D and a D100. All are decent cameras. I second streetshooter's suggestion: get a 2nd hand. Digital stuff is too short-life. Not worth investing too much. People like me will stick on an "old" DSLR (D60) and shoot more films. Just a hobby.

I suggest get a 2nd D100 now, and start enjoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.