Tried Fuji Superia 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablo

Feb 14, 2002
Visit site
Shooting it with EF50mm f1.8

Given the light condition, i gotta fully open it.
And its grainy man....even on a 4R print

Is there any other finer fast speed film?

fuji press 800

Diablo said:

I still have one roll of superia 800 in my camera bag, using it for indoor event shoots where flash photography is not allowed.

I tried it b4 in the same condition...results not so grainy.

normally if under-expose, the developer try to adjust the process time to bring up the exposure. thus it will be grainy. may be like that?

i used it to shoot chinatown cny last year, the grain is quite normal at 4r to me lay

denniskee said:
normally if under-expose, the developer try to adjust the process time to bring up the exposure. thus it will be grainy. may be like that?

Usually for films if underexpose, the grains will be more significant, especially at higher ISO ratings.

denniskee said:

i used it to shoot chinatown cny last year, the grain is quite normal at 4r to me lay
Get a tripod and shoot at ISO 100 (with ISO 100 film of course). :) Actually, for high speed film, control of the development process is very important also. If the temperature is set too high, the grains will be more prominent also. Slower film are more forgiving in this sense.

Some labs do try to shorten development time by using a higher temperature than what is recommended. Go to a reputable lab (even then a reputable lab put a scratch across my whole stretch of negative once), accidents do happen.

Maybe it might be time for Diablo to get a 5D? ;)

Diablo said:

i think your shots were underexposed. i have tried superia 800 with flash and the results were very nice. grain was very fine.

Diablo said:

should be under...

madmacs said:
i think your shots were underexposed. i have tried superia 800 with flash and the results were very nice. grain was very fine.

But usually ASA800 films can be shot without flash and still be well exposed right? I mean as in indoors where flash photography is prohibited.

Snoweagle said:
But usually ASA800 films can be shot without flash and still be well exposed right? I mean as in indoors where flash photography is prohibited.
Depends on the lighting situation also. With a fast lens you can should still be able to get something.

When I was shooting, I was very wary of my exposures to make sure that its good for handheld.

Another thing is, the printouts are less grainy then the scanned ones..

Looks like i shd also give high speed fuji press or ektapress a try

Snoweagle said:

really depends a lot of available light. even at 1600 and 3200, if available light not sufficient photo will be underexposed.

Diablo said:
When I was shooting, I was very wary of my exposures to make sure that its good for handheld.

Press films usually has a high latitute such that useable images can still be obtained even for overexposure or underexposure by 1 to 2 stops. But don't expect the grain performance to be good because it is eventually going to the printing press where the screen printing is barely 150dpi.

I don't know if Ektapress Multispeed is still available. I find it very useful in situations where you don't know the lighting condition, or you have mixed lighting conditions.

Diablo said:

Handheld shutter speeds must be at least 1/60 usually.

madmacs said:
really depends a lot of available light. even at 1600 and 3200, if available light not sufficient photo will be underexposed.

Oh...then like that have to use tripod or flash le lor i suppose.

Snoweagle said:
Handheld shutter speeds must be at least 1/60 usually.
Again, depends on the lens you use and how steady are your hands. :) Sometimes (although rarely) I'm able to handheld a 200mm down to about 1/15s. But the pictures are only good enough for 4R prints. :p

I have many rolls of Fuji Press 400 and 800 up for sale. Near expiration or just expired... been stored in fridge since day 1.

Drop me an email cs@21frames.com if interested.

lsisaxon said:
Again, depends on the lens you use and how steady are your hands. :) Sometimes (although rarely) I'm able to handheld a 200mm down to about 1/15s. But the pictures are only good enough for 4R prints. :p

Hmm...haven't tried that though...but wouldn't it cause handshake when shooting at that speed?

Snoweagle said:
Oh...then like that have to use tripod or flash le lor i suppose.

you have to watch your meter. if shooting at concerts, usually the stage light quite bright, so iso 3200 or even 1600 might work.

Status
Not open for further replies.