Tricks for shooting planes in the air?


Status
Not open for further replies.

dRebelXT

New Member
May 14, 2005
1,636
0
0
#1
For the aerospace shows, what are the tricks?
For example how to properly expose, how to tackle slow focus speed, etc? :)

TIA
 

eawtan

Senior Member
Feb 4, 2004
1,370
0
36
Tampines
#2
dRebelXT said:
For the aerospace shows, what are the tricks?
For example how to properly expose, how to tackle slow focus speed, etc? :)

TIA
Set your limiter switch on the lens so that is does not do FULL.
Try to keep focus near infinity.
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#3
If you are shooting planes taking off from the runway, then make sure that the wheels are down. Unconciously, people get very uncomfortable seeing planes at an angle without their wheels down.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#4
how about metering? when the plane is in the air and we point up.. it's surely going to be strongly back-lighted by the sky. how to prevent shooting just the silhouette of the plane?
 

jacob

Deregistered
May 11, 2005
3,059
0
0
Former CS Senior Member
#5
yanyewkay said:
how about metering? when the plane is in the air and we point up.. it's surely going to be strongly back-lighted by the sky. how to prevent shooting just the silhouette of the plane?
over exposed it by a bit lor unless you can do spot metering on the flying planes. nothing else can do unless you are GOD to change the sun direction......... better choice is to shoot in raw.

my 2 cents worth reply.:embrass:
 

Horsba85

New Member
Nov 10, 2005
283
0
0
Singapore
#6
ever a person tried continous AF that worked?
on micro motor, it takes forever man...
 

dRebelXT

New Member
May 14, 2005
1,636
0
0
#7
Keep going, the more tricks the better.
 

dRebelXT

New Member
May 14, 2005
1,636
0
0
#10
lsisaxon said:
How about using 25mm AA guns?
omg, dun make matters too complicated in this thread.

Only tricks for photographing flying/parked aircrafts are welcome. :D
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#11
dRebelXT said:
omg, dun make matters too complicated in this thread.

Only tricks for photographing flying/parked aircrafts are welcome. :D
Hahaha.. just joking. :)

I think most have posted on how to shoot (photograph) flying aircraft. As for parked aircraft, if you are able to go close, using an ultrawide or a fisheye may yield a very nice perspective.

Again, exposure may be a problem, so sometimes it may be good to wait till evening when the sun is at a low angle. This will help to illuminate the aircraft from the side. Otherwise, hope that it's overcast and the contrast is not that great.
 

sk.images

New Member
Dec 9, 2005
1,244
0
0
www.pbase.com
#12
Set your camera to manual and meter of a grey card or something that would be close, like a runway (maybe a little dark, so -1) - this works fine if you have clear blue sky al the time, if it is a little cloudy and the light is changing then this will be more difficult. Either way shoot RAW.
 

dRebelXT

New Member
May 14, 2005
1,636
0
0
#13
lsisaxon said:
Hahaha.. just joking. :)

I think most have posted on how to shoot (photograph) flying aircraft. As for parked aircraft, if you are able to go close, using an ultrawide or a fisheye may yield a very nice perspective.

Again, exposure may be a problem, so sometimes it may be good to wait till evening when the sun is at a low angle. This will help to illuminate the aircraft from the side. Otherwise, hope that it's overcast and the contrast is not that great.
Yeah, I will take my friend's 17-40mm, hope it helps.
:)
 

lsisaxon

Senior Member
Nov 29, 2004
11,941
0
0
#14
dRebelXT said:
Yeah, I will take my friend's 17-40mm, hope it helps.
:)
It will certainly help. :) You may also use a flash to fill-in if the underside of the plane is in shadow. I don't think it will be sufficient to illuminate the whole plane but I think it will be useful as a fill in, so you can play with the flash compensation to achieve the desired effect.
 

yanyewkay

Senior Member
Sep 22, 2004
3,924
0
0
Cons digger.
#15
lsisaxon said:
It will certainly help. :) You may also use a flash to fill-in if the underside of the plane is in shadow. I don't think it will be sufficient to illuminate the whole plane but I think it will be useful as a fill in, so you can play with the flash compensation to achieve the desired effect.
for a moment there I thought you were taking about filling-in for the planes in flight :sweat:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom