Tributes to Mr Lee Kuan Yew

I like the chewing gum part.

Well said! Especially to some group of people!

man, sometime i love this man because of his frankness and never kow-tow attitude to those group of people that interview him.

Last edited:
Quote:

"Even from my sickbed, even if you are going to lower me to the grave and I feel that something is going wrong, I will get up."

Unquote.

A great man who did so much for Singapore but too bad we can't say the same for those who came after him ....... who will soon erode the legacy he had longed to leave behind ....... :)

Reactions: kei1309
Wife narrated this to me: on HK's Phoenix News TV, the newscaster asked their reporter stationed here in Singapore if there was unease over the post-LKY era, the reporter replied that there was general calm and also genuine sadness. She said that it speaks volume of Mr Lee's life work - not only did he bring the country from Third World to First but he also ensured that there the systems in the country will operate even after him. And so, despite the sadness, the people are confident that life goes on pretty much as it is.

Then again, his son and his cronies has brought Singapore from the First World back to the Third World and he did nothing to stop him. I glad he didn't live long enough to see the party that he built up from scratch suck dry and destroy the country that he claimed he loved.

Anyway, RIP Mr Lee. May you have a good rebirth. You would need to work extra hard to make up for all the wrongs and sins you had committed in this life.

Then again, his son and his cronies has brought Singapore from the First World back to the Third World and he did nothing to stop him. I glad he didn't live long enough to see the party that he built up from scratch suck dry and destroy the country that he claimed he loved.

Anyway, RIP Mr Lee. May you have a good rebirth. You would need to work extra hard to make up for all the wrongs and sins you had committed in this life.

I didn't know I was living in a third world country where people can enjoy taking photographs and post on CS daily in the comfort of their own home on fibre internet or a 4G network due to someone's wrongs and sins which caused all this.

I was in Nepal a year ago and I thought that was third world. I guess it's like the fourth world instead?

Reactions: diver-hloc
I didn't know I was living in a third world country where people can enjoy taking photographs and post on CS daily in the comfort of their own home on fibre internet or a 4G network due to someone's wrongs and sins which caused all this.

I was in Nepal a year ago and I thought that was third world. I guess it's like the fourth world instead?

Dear mamypoko, we're living in a first world nation. where people respect one another and are courteous, kind and definitely are polite when we say things about one another.

but people like the one below living with a third world mentality and who spit on the life of others, say nasty things at the passing of others and basically just sad, cynical people (we call them the "something betters" in marketing circles). therefore they think that they're living in a third world.

it's not the place, nor the people. it's just yourself placing yourself in a third world situation

Reactions: diver-hloc
though i dislike him, sometimes i also laud him. esp his no kow-tow attitude towards angmos.
seeing his casket going into the istana also feel a bit sad.
And tears come to my eyes when seeing LHL addressing the nation about his passing.

before it degenerates further that requires our attention... please be reminded to keep your politics out of CS.

and on a personal note (not as a mod) - you can disagree with the man, you may not even have to like him.... but it is another thing to speak evil of the dead. no culture, no religion AFAIK preaches / encourages people to speak evil or curse even your most hated enemy when they are dead. so, please... let's have some civility and basic human decency here? TYVM...

"Whether you believe you live in first world or third it's all in the happiness of your mind." - 小泉 純一郎.

Kei1309 nice quote "it's not the place, nor the people. it's just yourself placing yourself in a third world situation"

The youth of today seems to have a preconception that a Third World country must be one that its people live in abject poverty, has no sanitary and drinking water, and have no access to the materialistic things of the world and this cannot be further from the truth. There would always be rich and poor people even in the Third World and just because a person could afford to change camera gears every year does not mean that the rest of the country could.

I m sure everybody would agree that Singapore in the 1950s, before even the Party came into power would be classified as a Third World country. But life in 1950s Singapore was not much different from today, just less technologically advanced but noisier, more colourful and the people were nicer to each other, not as judgemental and quick to call each other names. Just take a look at this video clip of 1950s Singapore.
[video=youtube;nw7toyYrqjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw7toyYrqjs[/video]

By virtue of its geographical position, Singapore has always been an important trading centre since the days of Sir Stamford Raffles and always had access to all the luxuries of the world. In the 1950s, Singapore is already a major world city, tourist attraction and shopping paradise for the World. We were no sleepy fishing village as some people would have us believe waiting to be saved through political awakening. We already had clean drinking water and proper sewage treatment facilities even back then unlike most other countries in Asia. We were amongst the first country in Asia to have B&W televisions (1963) and colour televisions (1974) when we were still considered a Third World country. Why I know this? Because I had lived through it all. My father always wanted the best things in life and we were amongst the first families in Singapore to own a B&W and later colour TV set. But I was keenly aware that there were many, many other people who could not afford these luxuries in life. In today's so-called First World Singapore, while we play in our ivory towers with our expensive cameras, there still are many, many people out there scratching out a living barely making $1,000 a month while our leaders collect million dollar salaries promising us all a Swiss living standard. They are not totally wrong though for some people do have the means for a Swiss standard of living but what about the majority. Is it their fault that they were not born rich and were short-changed by their leaders. Perhaps we just choose not to see or feel empathy for them.

So don't compare Singapore to more deprived countries of the Third World when people say we are regressing from the First World back to the Third. We were never like that even back in the 40s and 50s. For those who are too young to know, go ask your parents... or better yet, just Google and Youtube. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: An drew
The youth of today seems to have a preconception that a Third World country must be one that its people live in abject poverty, has no sanitary and drinking water, and have no access to the materialistic things of the world and this cannot be further from the truth. There would always be rich and poor people even in the Third World and just because a person could afford to change camera gears every year does not mean that the rest of the country could.

I m sure everybody would agree that Singapore in the 1950s, before even the Party came into power would be classified as a Third World country. But life in 1950s Singapore was not much different from today, just less technologically advanced but noisier, more colourful and the people were nicer to each other, not as judgemental and quick to call each other names. Just take a look at this video clip of 1950s Singapore.
[video=youtube;nw7toyYrqjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw7toyYrqjs[/video]

By virtue of its geographical position, Singapore has always been an important trading centre since the days of Sir Stamford Raffles and always had access to all the luxuries of the world. In the 1950s, Singapore is already a major world city, tourist attraction and shopping paradise for the World. We were no sleepy fishing village as some people would have us believe waiting to be saved through political awakening. We already had clean drinking water and proper sewage treatment facilities even back then unlike most other countries in Asia. We were amongst the first country in Asia to have B&W televisions (1963) and colour televisions (1974) when we were still considered a Third World country. Why I know this? Because I had lived through it all. My father always wanted the best things in life and we were amongst the first families in Singapore to own a B&W and later colour TV set. But I was keenly aware that there were many, many other people who could not afford these luxuries in life. In today's so-called First World Singapore, while we play in our ivory towers with our expensive cameras, there still are many, many people out there scratching out a living barely making $1,000 a month while our leaders collect million dollar salaries promising us all a Swiss living standard. They are not totally wrong though for some people do have the means for a Swiss standard of living but what about the majority. Is it their fault that they were not born rich and were short-changed by their leaders. Perhaps we just choose not to see or feel empathy for them.

So don't compare Singapore to more deprived countries of the Third World when people say we are regressing from the First World back to the Third. We were never like that even back in the 40s and 50s. For those who are too young to know, go ask your parents... or better yet, just Google and Youtube. ;)

you definitely came from a privileged background to have clean drinking water and proper sewage back in the 60s.
i dont have to google... plenty of my older gen relatives lived in squatter housing without running water or even electricity.

If you still worry about having enough to eat and somewhere to sleep, please contact Social Welfare Department. We have first class world facilities to make you feel like a First World Citizen.

Here's the contact:

512 Thomson Rd, Singapore 298136
+65 1800 222 0000

you definitely came from a privileged background to have clean drinking water and proper sewage back in the 60s.
i dont have to google... plenty of my older gen relatives lived in squatter housing without running water or even electricity.

There are always people who do not have municipal facilities even today if they still live in places that are not developed. It is just that they are getting less and less as the land get developed. In the 60s, we lived off East Coast Road right next to a traditional kampong and of course we would have piped water and sewerage facilities and they don't. Those were the days of communal standing taps, well-water and the bucket sewage system. Before somebody ask why I'm so cocksure about this, it is because I spent almost my entire working life running sewage treatment and potable water works and therefore is well-versed with the development of such municipal facilities in Singapore over the years.

Last edited:
If you still worry about having enough to eat and somewhere to sleep, please contact Social Welfare Department. We have first class world facilities to make you feel like a First World Citizen.

Here's the contact:

512 Thomson Rd, Singapore 298136
+65 1800 222 0000

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I do not need this now as I'm comfortably retired though not filthy rich. But I will take note of the address you gave and pass it on to those people I meet who are in need and might benefit from going to this agency for help. :)

Think it better to stick to the tropic of this thread...

Anyway, Thank you Mr Lee for leading the country which has almost nothing (no natural resources, we even has to buy water from our neighbour) to what we have now.
May not the best in everything, still need to constantly improve and get better if possible. But at the same time we also have to be grateful of what we having now.

Rest Well Mr Lee.

PS: Of course he did not do it alone, also thank his team and rest of normal people and citizens along the year who had contributed in any small or big way)

let us all give him the credit of jump starting, initiating the whole process.
It is definitely better than nobody giving a damn of our future at that time.
You may call him an opportunist etc but we must admit that he and his team have done a decent job, and deserve the credit.

There is a chinese saying....it is not easy to start a business and it even more difficult to sustain it.
Hopefully, our "wealth" can survive the 3rd generation.

If he did not take the initiative, most probably the video you take today would be the same as what tomcat has shown.
We would be still serving the angmo.

Last edited:
Reactions: kei1309

Don't talk nonsense.

The only reason why we are third world is due to our mindset. We think like third world. Not LKY fault.