Tribute to our Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

triggerhappie

Jan 22, 2005
These were my first attempts on BW photography with a Nikon FM2. I started learning photography since middle of last year and have always had a special interest in BWs.

Pls feel free to give comments...I have much to learn

Forgotten Shelter
79648621_23038d634d.jpg

Eleven
set-1604187

Guardian Angel
set-1604187

Rows of Emptiness...
set-1604187

Thank you!!!:sweat:

ok, the pictures can't be seen. Can someone tell me how to add pictures to posts? I added the URL links to my flickr after clicking the "insert image" button...:confused:

U have to host it somewhere, I think flikr does not allow you to connect to your photos from outside.
triggerhappie said:
ok, the pictures can't be seen. Can someone tell me how to add pictures to posts? I added the URL links to my flickr after clicking the "insert image" button...:confused:

is the stadium still accessible now?

singdude, thanks! I have posted it on clubsnap gallery too. Does that work? Is it just cutting and pasting the URL in the window for "insert image"?

zaxh81 said:
is the stadium still accessible now?

Hi there
Yes, I go there almost every week.. :)

Ok, here are the pics again, hope it works...

Forgotten Shelter
79648621_23038d634d.jpg

Guardian Angel
79648847_e80a80d7ba.jpg

On Your Mark
79649670_f3e408d255.jpg

Curtain Call
79649191_bb7fcf0233.jpg

43rd seat
79649148_fb49f92cfc.jpg

Please comments!! *grin*

i like the last pic.:D

your pics look pretty alright. some interesting composition. for #4 i don't think the vignetting contributes. i don't know what you are trying to say with the last picture, quite meaningless without any info on why this image is important as a tribute to Kallang Stadium.

lastly, do read the Critique Corner posting guidelines :)

Yes I agree, they do not contribute to anything... Actually they weren't intended. It came about as a result of the lens hood. Only realised after I developed the pictures. The camera is a hand-me-down you see...

OOps, didn't know about the limit on number of pictures. Will post only one next time. Sorry! :p

triggerhappie said:
Yes I agree, they do not contribute to anything... Actually they weren't intended. It came about as a result of the lens hood. Only realised after I developed the pictures. The camera is a hand-me-down you see...

i see, be careful next time round then

triggerhappie said:
OOps, didn't know about the limit on number of pictures. Will post only one next time. Sorry! :p

yup there's a limit, critique is not easy work, needless to say a good critique. it'll probably take a couple of paragraphs to have a full critique on all your pictures. so by choosing only the best picture you want to be critiqued upon, you do yourself and prospective crits a favour for being more focussed, and bring the discussion deeper.

interesting.. someone with a similar nick and also with a leaning towards b&w.. ;)
ok, here goes:
pic 1: more of the roof would be nice, too much sky. also a polariser would bring out the clouds instead of it looking patchy
pic 2: this shot would be better in colour, i think. drain cover also cuts away the pic, would be better to shoot from a higher angle or wait till the maintenance guy trims a "deeper" section of the field, so the drain cover is not in the pic
pic 3: track marking splits pic vertically. would be better if taken within the lane, the converging lane markings would also be more interesting. you won't run ON a lane marking afterall, right? ;)
pic 4: intersting, pity about the lens hood..
pic 5: NICE! perhaps can try with a slightly smaller apperture so bg isn't so blown out.

;)

Thank you Trigger Happy!! :D

Will take note of what you said... But didn't know a polarising filter can increase contrast in the sky..? I've always thought its meant to cut out light reflection from water surfaces...

I notice u managed to get camera into the stadium. I was stopped wen i tried to do tat n end up just takin the exterior only. sighhh

triggerhappie said:
Thank you Trigger Happy!! :D

Will take note of what you said... But didn't know a polarising filter can increase contrast in the sky..? I've always thought its meant to cut out light reflection from water surfaces...

try it, it basically cuts out the glare. :)

AdyH said:
I notice u managed to get camera into the stadium. I was stopped wen i tried to do tat n end up just takin the exterior only. sighhh

Hi there,

I didn't know I wasn't allowed to take photos in the stadium...no one stopped me...
Now that so many people have said the same thing, I won't dare go back again!

:what:

i think one trait of a successful photographer is being thick-skinned. i'm not sure if there are any codes of ethics out there, aside from not being a social pariah (e.g. snapping away at a stranger's funeral and calling it art). i've shot in mrt stations, even at station control, and as long as no one has an issue (read: no one IN AUTHORITY for public places) i will just be, trigger happy. ;) if challenged then stop. i used to be concerned about breaching possible rules, but well, why speculate? afterall, photography in itself is an art, not an act of terror. ;)

Some feedback on the use of b&w film. Do try to get hold of some colored filters (yellow, orange, red etc) as these will help to bring out the contrast & colors in your shots. I am still learning to do so myself, and can already see the difference after shooting some rolls. Another option is actually shoot in color film and then use PS to convert to b&w. Try this and really see yr b&w shots pop.

could you share the aperture size/focal length/shutter speed for the last shot "43rd street"

thanks in advance

Trigger Happy said:
i think one trait of a successful photographer is being thick-skinned. i'm not sure if there are any codes of ethics out there, aside from not being a social pariah (e.g. snapping away at a stranger's funeral and calling it art). i've shot in mrt stations, even at station control, and as long as no one has an issue (read: no one IN AUTHORITY for public places) i will just be, trigger happy. ;) if challenged then stop. i used to be concerned about breaching possible rules, but well, why speculate? afterall, photography in itself is an art, not an act of terror. ;)

Well I guess all things need training...even being thick skinned needs perfection. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.