Tribe men critique

Status
Not open for further replies.

Autumnite

Oct 16, 2005
hey guys... still new to photography... I just took some shots and maybe u guys can help comment and let me know how i could do better.

75255454_56fbf2f5ed_b.jpg

75254680_e56ce6ce48_b.jpg

Would these 2 be considered as potrait? or must potrait must be a tight shot of the face only?

Thanks ^_^

I think u should use flash...#1 the main object is underexposed...can't c the details...:)

Use a fill flash.

Hi guys, thanks for the advise... hehe currently still don't own a flash.. no $$ but i would sure like to see how the outcome will be like when i get one...

uhmm.. one question though will i still be able to retain the colors (currently i like the colors) if i use flash? cause i see some pictures with flash, the colors like quite washed off...

and btw whats a fill flash? hehe:sweat:

Which of the pics do u like? n why?

the first is a poor snapshot.
Background: unrelated bg. bg person wearing attractive red chopped in half- distracting
Lighting: face & props in shadow, require fill
Props: props cannot be seen clearly- distracting
Pose: full frontal poses are generally unattracting, flat. slumped shoulders.
Visual Focus: no main focus, all over the place.

the second is a portrait. the difference is there to see.
Background: related bg, gives indication of who & why subject is there. subject works well with cheerful lady in red.
Lighting: flattering side lighting, gives shadow, depth
Props: seen clearly and complements subject well. Notice his 'gold watch' is now gone. slight pity in cropped spearhand.
Pose: facing off the side, shoulders pulled back, sitting up straight.
Visual Focus: immediate focus on subject's face

Autumnite said:
Hi guys, thanks for the advise... hehe currently still don't own a flash.. no $$ but i would sure like to see how the outcome will be like when i get one...

uhmm.. one question though will i still be able to retain the colors (currently i like the colors) if i use flash? cause i see some pictures with flash, the colors like quite washed off...

and btw whats a fill flash? hehe:sweat:

colours get washed out because the flash has overpowered the main light thus overexposure. Fill flash for 'filling' in the shadows, set approx. -2/3 ev for fill flash.

Thanks foxtwo, I personally liked the 2nd pic better though i really cant tell y, till now after u helped break up the points. I also felt that should show more of the spear and his position was abit off to the left...

hmm will keep these points in mind and be more aware when shooting next time, rather then just be snap happy.

oh yah btw the 2 pics are different men... hehe maybe brothers la cause they look kinda similar.

thanks for the advise!

colours get washed out because the flash has overpowered the main light thus overexposure. Fill flash for 'filling' in the shadows, set approx. -2/3 ev for fill flash.

ahh ic ic will play around when i get my flash

Status
Not open for further replies.