Trial and error

Status
Not open for further replies.

alancwr

Sep 23, 2007
Just a food for thought

I wonder do u guys when u go out and shoot do u actually come home with shots that u are really happy w or sometimes u dun have any shots that you are happy w...

Especially in the context of landscape, I think a lot of trial and error or rather practice is being put into it??
Pardon me if I may be wrong in my thinking

Sometimes I feel that if I dun nab that shot I will keep going to the same place over n over again

Do u guys do that??

No such thing as one shot, one kill for me. Some are nice. Some are not. Its normal. If its landscape, sure. Can go back again to see if you can do better.

I think that someone who is happy with all their shots all the time is simply not very discerning and has low expectations ;p

Well... the more you shoot, the more pictures that you have taken are keepers. Well... I am still at the learning stage and is not really very good, as compared to many in this forum... so my keeper's rate is pretty low.

For landscape photography, 2 crucial elements that imho are what I look for; composition and ambient light.

For composition, there can be lots of walking and exploring (and research online, offline before heading out). Sometime, I found what I want and sometime simply nothing good.

For good ambient light, usually at dawn or dusk and early to mid morning and mid to late afternoon. All these will depend on what sort of result I am looking for. You probably already know, this is totally depended on the weather. So, check the weather forecast and the current weather before heading out.

I have went to the same place four times just to get a near perfect mirror reflection off the water.

Just a food for thought

I wonder do u guys when u go out and shoot do u actually come home with shots that u are really happy w or sometimes u dun have any shots that you are happy w...

Especially in the context of landscape, I think a lot of trial and error or rather practice is being put into it??
Pardon me if I may be wrong in my thinking

Sometimes I feel that if I dun nab that shot I will keep going to the same place over n over again

Do u guys do that??

mostly come back with nothing :bsmilie:
No harm going back to the same place over and over again. Presumably each successive time you go back, you will have a clearer idea of what end-result you are trying to achieve.

Nice guys keep it coming!!

Nice guys keep it coming!!

basically, its obvious that not all photos taken will be keepers. there are simply so many things that can go wrong - bad weather, wrong time of the day, location not available / not desirable due to other factors beyond your control - renovation, ugly crane obstructing the skyline, too crowded, etc etc.

maybe u wanna share more abt why u think that your thinking is "wrong"? or whether there's anything abt your approach that u feel is "not so right" so pple can share more specifics?

When i go shoot birds, I will end up tiring, sweating , dirty with mud and end up with 0 shots. But that's the challenge and maybe what drives some of us to keep trying and improve.

I guess once you are 100% satisfied with just 1 or 2 try then either your work is excellent or you might not improve because you are not sure what to improve.

For landscape, there are many people shooting the same scene, the same composition which can be nice. But I think if someone keeps going back to the same place and look for alternate composition/angle who knows? He might be the first one to nail an interesting shot (then many other people will soon follow lol) that is unique. An example would be shooting MBS at Merlion area.

Haha sorry but I am not experienced in landscape (would plan to learn soon).

basically, its obvious that not all photos taken will be keepers. there are simply so many things that can go wrong - bad weather, wrong time of the day, location not available / not desirable due to other factors beyond your control - renovation, ugly crane obstructing the skyline, too crowded, etc etc.

maybe u wanna share more abt why u think that your thinking is "wrong"? or whether there's anything abt your approach that u feel is "not so right" so pple can share more specifics?

Sometimes when I go to a place to take picture if I dun get the picture I wan I will keep thinking of going back just to get that picture that I want
Up to a few times haha

Sometimes when I go to a place to take picture if I dun get the picture I wan I will keep thinking of going back just to get that picture that I want
Up to a few times haha

then my question to u is - is it because:

(a) u know exactly what u want but due to factors outside your control, you couldn't get the shot?

or

(b) u don't know what u want, but u just don't like the photos u took?

the first is very common - like i mentioned, bad weather, poor view due to construction, too crowded to find a good spot, etc etc. better luck next time.

the second is a waste of time because going again and again without first doing a proper review of what went wrong may just cause u to make the same mistakes all over again. go back 10 time also same thing.

Sometimes it's 1 sometimes it's 2
then my question to u is - is it because:

(a) u know exactly what u want but due to factors outside your control, you couldn't get the shot?

or

(b) u don't know what u want, but u just don't like the photos u took?

the first is very common - like i mentioned, bad weather, poor view due to construction, too crowded to find a good spot, etc etc. better luck next time.

the second is a waste of time because going again and again without first doing a proper review of what went wrong may just cause u to make the same mistakes all over again. go back 10 time also same thing.

Sometimes it's 1 sometimes it's 2

then i suggest u continue doing 1, but minimise 2 because its a waste of time lor :bsmilie:

borrow some books on photography from the library, do some web research, look at other pple's photos and try to understand what u like abt them and try to adapt the good points to your own style. know the various techniques and tools that brings out the "oomph" in your photos.

its better than itchy itchy just go and anyhow shoot.

learn from mistakes.
practice makes perfect.

the best way to learn something is to the learn from the mistakes you've made, and to do it over and over again is to perfect it

I read this somewhere...

Before you delete your shots, live with the imperfection and think how you can do better.

Status
Not open for further replies.