Tree climbing for photographers

ChrisJensen

May 31, 2012
Hi All,
A photographer friend of mine suggested you would be interested in an activity i'm helping to organise. Hope you don't mind me sharing it here.

Ground-Up Initiative - a community and environmental non-profit - is running a tree climbing and abseiling workshop targeted at nature photographers.
The tree climbing harnesses are going to specially set up by the facilitators so that once you've got yourself up the tree, you can safely use both hands to operate your camera.

As a new forum member, I can't post a link to it, but you can find it on Facebook or Google if you search for Heritage Kampung and then look up the programmes that are part of it.

It's on June 9 & 10 from 10am to 2pm (for tree climbing) and 2pm to 6pm for abseiling.
Also on June 16, 10am to 12 and 12 to 2pm.

Cheers,
Chris

Let me check out Heritage Kampung at yr website first. Thank you.

Interesting, but what nature subjects can we expect and what are the recommended lens to bring up the tree for such a shoot?

1) Wide angle lens for birds' eye view?
But will the scene be blocked out by branches, leave foliage and canopy?

2) Telephoto zoom lens for bird photography?
Judging from the 4-person per group per hour + instructor/facilitator, will the crowd, instruction and noise pose as a nuisance for the birds in the vicinity (especially the very tree to be climbed), causing them to fly away?

Maybe providing images or clearer details on expected nature subjects or images of photographers shooting up in the trees will help photographers here decide better? The not-sharp image on the website doesn't quite do any justice to hype up this event.

I'm actually interested to join but would like to know in greater detail to confirm my interest.

Hi Nonfatyogurt,
Thanks for checking it out and thanks for your questions.

Apologies for the photo, it was a place holder until we could get some photographers up the tree.

Some of the team tried out the trees yesterday. I'll get them to get back to you soon.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi nonfatyoghurt,

Apologies for the delay,

Zoom lens with the range of 17-50mm should be sufficient.
We had a trial last week and decided to change to a tree nearer to the main carnival space.

Hence, the subjects will be people and activities.
One of the some photo points of Heritage Building (for public to take photo) is beside the tree.

There are many other activities going on for capturing/ learning!
Heritage Kampung dot com

Do join in the Kampung Experience and the fun!