Tray cannot be pushed all the way in dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

camdude2003

Feb 19, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently bought a DHC-250 Wide to store my equipment. It has several pairs of slots at the side for steel trays to be inserted. There is just one set of slots which is right for my set-up. Unfortunately, there is also a dehumidifier panel at the back of the cabinet. Due to poor design (I think), the tray, when put into this particular set of slots, is unable to be pushed all the way back. It hits the panel at the back. The prevents the doors from sealing properly and so the humidity inside does not get below 60%.

I wonder if anyone has had the same problem? One DIY solution seems to be cutting the back of the tray so that it can slot neatly past the panel at the back. This will not be along the length of the tray but just a rectangular space to enable the tray to be pushed fully inside the cabinet. However I lack the technical expertise to do this, and was wondering whether anyone knows where I can get this done? The trays are steel and are quite sturdy.

Many thanks :)

How about moving the tray down a couple of notches? If possible, post a picture.

Thanks for the replies... perhaps I should post some pictures so that the problem is clearer... will be back!

If moving the tray down a slot or two is not possible or a satisfactory solution, I'd just cut a rectangular portion out. Most dry cabinet trays are not made hardened steel or metals, so it should be a fairly straightforward job. Just get it in a vice and saw. If the metal is a tougher variety, one technique is to simply pre-drill on the inside perimeter of the cut-out giving a 1-2mm allowance and saw along the length of the perforation. After which, file down to smooth and fit.

If you're not comfortable DIY, any metal or machining shop at industrial estates could do it for a small fee.

Last edited:
if it is so, why don't leave the top tray to store gears that need the maximum height?

Oh yes that's a good idea! :D

But I am planning to have a combined 30-35kg of equipment needing the maximum height. I've had a look at the hinges - they are made of plastic and I'm sure if they will hold...

Ok, here is the dry cabinet:

img1007a.jpg

You will see why I cannot put the equipment on the tray... I think the hinges cannot take the weight.

So with the tray at the position it is at, this next pic shows the tray pulled out... the panel is seen:

img1010k.jpg

When the tray is pushed in, it hits the panel and is unable to go all the way back:

img1011a.jpg

And the door is unable to close fully:

img1013aq.jpg

Right now I am inclined to just try to cut a space in the tray so that it slides fully to the back. But I have neither the tools nor the expertise. I guess I could ask metal or machining shops, but if anyone has any particular suggestion, I would be grateful - not easy carrying a tray walking around looking for a suitable shop :)

Last edited:
Have you try to see if the other trays can fit. Maybe 1 tray was designed for the bottom. Just thinking

Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked but all the trays are the same. I guess it's just something the designers overlooked when designing the cabinet and the slots.

You should look the agent up for this design flaw. I have a DHC-160, so far so good. It seems the bigger cabinet does not seal better than the smaller DB-036. There is hardly any change in RH for the smaller box.

Yup I've contacted the agent and he's been very helpful. One option is to upgrade to the larger DHC350... I am still considering that (and also need to find out more about the 350's specs in case the same problem exists) but if all it takes to solve the problem is to saw a space, then it's definitely much simpler and cheaper.

I have a smaller DHC-30 (the smallest) and the RH changes very quickly. That's why I was a bit surprised at the slow speed at which the 250 adjusts. I've put a hygrometer of my own inside the cabinet and it shows a RH level some 8% lower than that indicated by the digital display!

I notice the digital hygrometers that come with my 2 dry cabs all indicate 4% to 5% lower than my calibrated hygrometers.

When the tray is pushed in, it hits the panel and is unable to go all the way back:

img1011a.jpg

This panel holds the dehumidifier elements. It's not just to hold the adjustment knob. Similar to most fridges this cooling / dehumidifying element is positioned there to have the shortest connection to the backside where the electrical supply is located. Also, the position is necessary to have the shortest way for the condensed water to get out. My bigger cabinet (100l) has the same positioning. The only design flaw seems to be with the tray which is too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.