Travelling with tripod, or buying monopod

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
Hello hello :)

I'm going to be travelling at the end of the year (to Singapore and HongKong), and I'm going to be bringing my camera; I would like to bring my tripod, but it's big and heavy for bringing on the plane. Does anyone have experience with this, bringing it onto the plane? or putting it with luggage?

Another option I am considering is to buy a monopod when I am in Singapore. I know that a monopod is not a substitute for a tripod, but I think it may help, compared to using nothing. And may be easier when travelling around. Do you have any suggestions as for which monopod to get, and what head? Or I could bring my head with me (322 RC2) is that suitable for using on a monopod? I'm 182cm (if that should be taken into consideration when choosing monopod).

Thank you!

i brought my Slik300DX up onto the place twice... once from london to singapore and another time from singapore to Hong Kong... so I dun think that it's gonna be a problem bringing your tripod up... just make sure you put it in a bag...

As to whether to get a monopod to replace the tripod... depends on what sort of pictures you are looking to take in Sg and HK... if you are planning to take pics of the skyline, esp in HK... would strongly advice you to bring a tripod... even a small one would be better than nothing... monopod can only help to a certain extend... hope that you have a fun time !

Thank you londonray.
I'll see whether I can bring my tripod once everything is packed;
Should I remove the head or just leave it on?

As for suggestion of a monopod, I'm starting to think of buying one there even if I do bring my tripod; so I can bring it back here :):) Are there any suggestions as to which ones?

When I travelled Europe for 2 months, i invested in a Gitzo carbon fibre tripod. It was worthwhile investment. It was used many times! (see avatar)

erm... how heavy is ur tripod? i brought my Gitzo (2.4kg w/ head) on a trip & did not regret.
w/o it many of my pics would not hav turned out. ;)

I had used those 'budget' tripod, inexpensive and pretty light. Brought it for my Taiwan trip and found it to be really useful, especially when I was shooting in the early morning light. Had to be careful not to tip the tripod though, cos it was kinda light.

When I go overseas, I will always bring along a tripod because I can use it to take long time exposure of night sceneries. A monopod can't do much when Shutter speed goes below 1/8 sec. My tripod is a Slik 300D which is 3Kg, I carry it along with my hand luggage.

Adam, no one seems to have asked ... what will you be shooting ? That may help decide what to bring.

In general, photographic equipment will be cheaper here than in Oz, so if you have time and know what you want, you can look for bargains here.

Thank you all for the replies! :)
I want to bring the tripod for "just in case I need it", but what I have in mind is for night shots; perhaps for taking photographs of Esplanade, Peak, or when needed on my nightly roamings. I don't really have any shots planned yet, but mostly I think will be night scenery.

At the moment I've got a 055 ProB and 322RC2 head, okay, it's not that heavy, but for carrying it around it'll occupy my hand, unless I somehow tie to to my bag, or strap it up? Can I just use a camera strap?

Any suggestions for monopod models?

Thank you :)

Have you considered a dedicated tripod strap to help with unhindered mobility? You can sling it like a rifle. Quite a few brands have them, including OpTech and Hama.

Cheers,

I went to Hong Kong for holiday last month, on Singapore Airline, with a Manfrotto tripod, I just handcarry it on the plane, and put on the overhead compartment, no problem at all.

(Btw, it looks really cool, everyone was carrying ah-beng-ah-soh-style luggage while I carry the tripod and camera bag.)

sORe-EyEz said:
erm... how heavy is ur tripod? i brought my Gitzo (2.4kg w/ head) on a trip & did not regret.
w/o it many of my pics would not hav turned out. ;)
Aluminium Gitzo tripods will be heavier. Try the Carbon Fibre models if you hve the cash (<2kg with head)

d.i.y. a tripod strap urself!!;p ;p

i used 2 water hose fasteners on my pod's legs, added rubber strips 2 prevent scratches & improve its grip. sewn nylon straps w/ attached D-rings. used pliers 2 close the ends of a shock/bungee cord hooks into a loop over the D-rings. done!!:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

+evenstar said:
Aluminium Gitzo tripods will be heavier. Try the Carbon Fibre models if you hve the cash (<2kg with head)

mine is a carbon fibre Explorer. hee...:sweat: :sweat:

+evenstar said:

Sorry, hijack this thread for one question since we are on this... Any recommention for Gitzo CF model. Budget $400-500 (Can stretch a bit) My height it 1.74m.

PhotoDog said:
Sorry, hijack this thread for one question since we are on this... Any recommention for Gitzo CF model. Budget $400-500 (Can stretch a bit) My height it 1.74m.
CF models range >$700 bro. For your height, a 1227 will be nice...

Sounds good! I'll feel safer hand-carrying on the plane than putting with luggage.
I think when I am in Singapore I might as well buy a monopod (since it is cheaper than buying here). My height is 1.82m, any other required information needed to find good monopod? Thanks

adamadam said:
Hello hello :)

I'm going to be travelling at the end of the year (to Singapore and HongKong), and I'm going to be bringing my camera; I would like to bring my tripod, but it's big and heavy for bringing on the plane. Does anyone have experience with this, bringing it onto the plane? or putting it with luggage?

Another option I am considering is to buy a monopod when I am in Singapore. I know that a monopod is not a substitute for a tripod, but I think it may help, compared to using nothing. And may be easier when travelling around. Do you have any suggestions as for which monopod to get, and what head? Or I could bring my head with me (322 RC2) is that suitable for using on a monopod? I'm 182cm (if that should be taken into consideration when choosing monopod).

Thank you!

I always put my 2kg tripod + ballhead in my large backpack and check it in. Been thru many trips this way without any problems.

Although I also have a monopod, I don't bring it for my trips. It will be too much equipment to bring both a tripod and monopod. The brand is feisol, it is a CF monopod. Currently I do not have any head for it. My height is 180cm and it is high enough for me.

adamadam said:
Sounds good! I'll feel safer hand-carrying on the plane than putting with luggage.
I think when I am in Singapore I might as well buy a monopod (since it is cheaper than buying here). My height is 1.82m, any other required information needed to find good monopod? Thanks
Cheap ones can cost $50 (Manfrotto 679), maybe less...CF ones can cost >$150

adamadam said:
I want to bring the tripod for "just in case I need it", but what I have in mind is for night shots; perhaps for taking photographs of Esplanade, Peak, or when needed on my nightly roamings. I don't really have any shots planned yet, but mostly I think will be night scenery.

How about Gitzo 1027? It is very light and small. Good for "just in case".

Status
Not open for further replies.