Travelling with simple DSLR equipments

ErikaT

May 27, 2011
Hi all

I will be bringing my D750 and 24-120 for a trip. However, I don't really like to carry the Nikon complimentary shoulder bag when I am touring around.

I am thinking of just strapping the camera around my neck during the tour and leave the bag in the hotel (but it don't seem to be safe); or just use back the Nikon bag ; or getting a very compact bag just to carry it around?

I would like to hear from everyone who travel with simple and light equipments.

Regards

Personally I would not strap the camera around my neck, nor would I use camera bags that have Canon/Nikon proudly labelled on them. Mainly to reduce attention especially from potential pickpockets.

Depending on where you are going, for example whether it is a place well known for pickpockets, you may want to consider using a more nondescript bag that doesnt announce your possession of an expensive camera set-up.

Personally I would not strap the camera around my neck, nor would I use camera bags that have Canon/Nikon proudly labelled on them. Mainly to reduce attention especially from potential pickpockets.

Depending on where you are going, for example whether it is a place well known for pickpockets, you may want to consider using a more nondescript bag that doesnt announce your possession of an expensive camera set-up.

It is a good point

I am thinking of carrying a normal old back pack during the tour. but I do not like to put and pull the camera out of the bag so many times a day (not accessible). And the camera does have any protection if I just throw the camera into the back pack.

What kind of trip is this? Tour? On the bus most of the time, then unload for 1 hour at the scenic point, then back on the bus to the next point? If this type, might be okay around the neck cos the time is limited, when you get on the bus you can remove it to rest.

If your trip involves being on your feet the whole day (city type sightseeing), I think your neck will suffer with 1.5kg around it for a prolonged period. You can try it out over the weekend to see how you feel about that. Wear it around your neck for an outing for the same period you think you'll be carrying it on your trip to simulate.

It is a good point

I am thinking of carrying a normal old back pack during the tour. but I do not like to put and pull the camera out of the bag so many times a day (not accessible). And the camera does have any protection if I just throw the camera into the back pack.

You can consider getting a camera insert.

tools-byob-9-camera-insert.aspx

For my last trip I just carried camera and lens in a messenger bag + camera insert. When on 'standby', I'm holding the grip with wrist strap secured. When done, swing the bag around, keep the camera. I'd rather put it in and out versus constantly exposed - more prone to theft/damage etc - think about it, you wouldn't do that at home, why do it while travelling?

What kind of trip is this? Tour? On the bus most of the time, then unload for 1 hour at the scenic point, then back on the bus to the next point? If this type, might be okay around the neck cos the time is limited, when you get on the bus you can remove it to rest.

If your trip involves being on your feet the whole day (city type sightseeing), I think your neck will suffer with 1.5kg around it for a prolonged period. You can try it out over the weekend to see how you feel about that. Wear it around your neck for an outing for the same period you think you'll be carrying it on your trip to simulate.

You can consider getting a camera insert.

tools-byob-9-camera-insert.aspx

For my last trip I just carried camera and lens in a messenger bag + camera insert. When on 'standby', I'm holding the grip with wrist strap secured. When done, swing the bag around, keep the camera. I'd rather put it in and out versus constantly exposed - more prone to theft/damage etc - think about it, you wouldn't do that at home, why do it while travelling?

Thx for your reply. My trip will be free and easy, which will walk alot.

You have the point also; I will have a few trials with the strap before my trip. But I normally strap my hand instead my neck.

Erika, I constantly have my slingbag resting on my right hip so it is really convenient for me to access my camera whenever needed. As kandinsky said, I'd rather have it within easy access in a bag/pouch rather than have it in my hands or on my neck all the time.

A slingbag with a quick access slot would help a lot.

Erika, I constantly have my slingbag resting on my right hip so it is really convenient for me to access my camera whenever needed. As kandinsky said, I'd rather have it within easy access in a bag/pouch rather than have it in my hands or on my neck all the time.

A slingbag with a quick access slot would help a lot.

It this case maybe the problem is with the nikon bag, it seems to be very bulky on my shoulder and not very user friendly to me

It this case maybe the problem is with the nikon bag, it seems to be very bulky on my shoulder and not very user friendly to me

Yup. There are some models that have been quoted here. Do make a trip to T K foto to check out the range of bags on offer. I'm sure the salespersons can recommend something suitable for you.

Once again I wont really use those kind of Canon or Nikon bags unless absolutely needed in an emergency..

Yup. There are some models that have been quoted here. Do make a trip to T K foto to check out the range of bags on offer. I'm sure the salespersons can recommend something suitable for you.

Once again I wont really use those kind of Canon or Nikon bags unless absolutely needed in an emergency..

I have went down to see some of the shops recently, I cant really find a compact bag for D750 with the 24-120 attached;

The bags that fit seem to be very bulky also. They may be a bit softer in texture compare to the nikon bag but with a relative big price tag.

I've never actually owned the 24-120 before. When I had my D750, I paired it with either a AF-D 35mm f2 or the AF-S 85MM f1.8G. Either combination fitted into my slingbag fairly easily.

I guess the value about the more enthusiast-level camera bags are that they are designed for cameras on the inside, but do not look like camera bags on the outside. This is something that I feel most people are looking out for so they wont be targetted by the less desirable people.

You may also consider leaving your D750 at home if you dont have smaller sized primes to go along with the camera. Instead, perhaps a camera like the RX100 or a mirrorless kit like a6000 with kit lens may be a lot easier to handle. This, you definitely be able to use a wrist strap and keep in your hand all day long if you so choose.

I've never actually owned the 24-120 before. When I had my D750, I paired it with either a AF-D 35mm f2 or the AF-S 85MM f1.8G. Either combination fitted into my slingbag fairly easily.

I guess the value about the more enthusiast-level camera bags are that they are designed for cameras on the inside, but do not look like camera bags on the outside. This is something that I feel most people are looking out for so they wont be targetted by the less desirable people.

You may also consider leaving your D750 at home if you dont have smaller sized primes to go along with the camera. Instead, perhaps a camera like the RX100 or a mirrorless kit like a6000 with kit lens may be a lot easier to handle. This, you definitely be able to use a wrist strap and keep in your hand all day long if you so choose.

Thats a good idea, but I dont have the extra cash after getting the D750.

I have a 50mm 1.8 though. However I feel that I will have more versatility with the 24-120.

I just returned from China after a 14 days road trip across Changsa, Fu Rong Ancient Town, Zhangjiajie, , Fenghuang and Shantou.

I brought along my D810 with only the Nikkor 24-120 f4g lens in a Think Tank Speed Freak V2.0 bag. Perfect camera set-up and the D810 with the 24-120 f4g lens and hood attached can fit in one compartment of the bag with a lot of space to spare and the other compartment can easily fit even a 70-200 f4g lens but I didn't take with me any additional lens. The 24-120 f4g lens was perfect for such a trip.

I would advise that you get a suitable bag and bring along your Nikon D750 and 24-120 f4g lens. Just get a suitable bag.

I just returned from China after a 14 days road trip across Changsa, Fu Rong Ancient Town, Zhangjiajie, , Fenghuang and Shantou.

I brought along my D810 with only the Nikkor 24-120 f4g lens in a Think Tank Speed Freak V2.0 bag. Perfect camera set-up and the D810 with the 24-120 f4g lens and hood attached can fit in one compartment of the bag with a lot of space to spare and the other compartment can easily fit even a 70-200 f4g lens but I didn't take with me any additional lens. The 24-120 f4g lens was perfect for such a trip.

I would advise that you get a suitable bag and bring along your Nikon D750 and 24-120 f4g lens. Just get a suitable bag.

My nikon bag looks around the same size as the Think Tank Speed Freak V2.0 bag. I think I will take your advise and see if the nikon bag works or not for this trip. if not i will shop for a more suitable bag

D750 + 24-120VR is not a very big setup. Many bags available. Depending on the locations you will travel through, it would be advisable to get a non-discript looking bag. Personally, I favor the think tank retrospective series.

When I travel I always carry a shoulder bag, and put my dslr inside. Always place ur shoulder bag infront of you. And during taking transport make sure you hug it. That what I do every time I go Europe :)
Bring backpack might have risk because when they cut your bag you won't know. And I bring a small little army knife for self protection in case. ;)

I have an old zakka shoulder bag which is not designed for camera, it is definitely an non-discript looking bag.

Thanks for your tips and comments

Try the Think Tank Turnstyle range from TK Foto. They come in 3 sizes, from $89-$119, and strap across the chest or back. This has been my favourite bag for the last 2 years.