Travelling with DSLR

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonefishing

May 31, 2007
Should i travel with my D60 + 55-200mm lens mounted?
I have a crumpler bag

Aiyo, why not? Travel with whichever lens you want, mounted or not. My own choice would be to mount a more general-purpose wider lens such as the kit lens, unless you're traveling to a place where you will be mainly photographing distant objects.

And your bag doesn't matter. :p

Aiyo, why not? Travel with whichever lens you want, mounted or not. My own choice would be to mount a more general-purpose wider lens such as the kit lens, unless you're traveling to a place where you will be mainly photographing distant objects.

And your bag doesn't matter. :p

no la i hear ppl damaging their lens mount esp with telephotos... cos the amt of stress is different... :sweat:

no la i hear ppl damaging their lens mount esp with telephotos... cos the amt of stress is different... :sweat:

Errr, the 55-200 doesn't weigh that much, nor is it all that much bigger than the kit.

Worry less, shoot more. Cameras ans lenses are not made of paper.

That is correct.

However your 55-200mm isn't those kinds of lenses. Stress on the mount is higher when you have a pro-level telephoto such as a 70-200 2.8 and a camera. When packed into the bag and having the bag drop or sustain an impact, the 70-200 lens will have a higher chance of stressing the lens/camera mount more than a small lens.

That's why we have billinghams.
Get the 306 presstop.
Am using it currently.
PM me for PK's contact to get the bag.
About 500 if i'm not wrong.

Marie

Hi there,

Just carry the camera in your hand or sling it around your neck if you are worried that it might get damage in your bag. I'll always carried my camera around when i'm overseas, no point putting it in your bag. you cant take photos that way. ;p

Joel

Err... The 55-200mm is a pretty small and light lens. The stress on the mount is probably acceptable.

The telephotos they're talking about are more like the 70-200mm f/2.8, 300mm f/2.8, 500mm f/4, 200mm f/2... those kind of lens.

Woah in a crumpler bag by itself?

Not smart dude. Ya should get a proper holster or camera bag.

I disagree. It's a small, leightweight camera setup. A crumpler bag will also be less conspicuous than a normal camera bag or holster.

I have a question to ask, how abt moisture during flight does it effect the lens. Cos my buddy had tis problem once, he check in the dslr camera as luggage and wen he wan to use it the zoom lens doesn't works as there's moisture in it. And how r we goin to avoid that wen let say at Genting highland let alone others mountain...??

I have a question to ask, how abt moisture during flight does it effect the lens. Cos my buddy had tis problem once, he check in the dslr camera as luggage and wen he wan to use it the zoom lens doesn't works as there's moisture in it. And how r we goin to avoid that wen let say at Genting highland let alone others mountain...??

Moisture during flight? Airplane cabins have very very DRY air. Sounds more like he had condensation after landing. It should clear pretty quickly though.

Guys please, a DSLR is not made of sugar, it's not going to fall apart if you sneeze on it. Just use it! They're designed and tested in far rougher conditions than Genting highlands.

Common sense applies... Since lenses are made of glass, much like a person's specs, they'll gather condensation if you go from cold to warm and moist too quickly (before the lens can adjust temperature to match). And once the temperatures have equalized,the condensation is gone.

Worry less, shoot more, your camera is designed for taking pictures, not being coddled and pampered.

It depends. What if his crumpler bag is a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home?

Are you sure the lens doesn't work? Condensation does not usually render a lens totally dysfunctional. The equipment is built for more rugged use than you'd think. Using the camera in extreme situations, the camera will probably hold out longer than the photographer.

I agree, its the same as taking an MRT or a BUS in a rainy weather, normally you will have condensation, it will not affect the functionalty of the camera, not unless you shoot under the rain, and let your camera be damped.
On the mountains, just shoot, if the camera does not do what you want, its not because of the weather. FYI, people shoot in snow or in the dessert with ease.

I have a question to ask, how abt moisture during flight does it effect the lens. Cos my buddy had tis problem once, he check in the dslr camera as luggage and wen he wan to use it the zoom lens doesn't works as there's moisture in it.

A lens failing due to moisture? Hmmm... That sounds like an exaggeration to me. Condensation should clear up, and even if moisture stays, I don't think it will render a lens useless.

In any case, modern dSLRs and lenses, although fragile, aren't gonna melt at the first instance of sun, water or dust. So really, just the usual care will be fine.

Besides, I've flown several times with my camera and lenses and nothing happened. If it were a common occurence, you'd have heard about it by now.

Would bringing a dry cabinet around be good?

I would reccomend you get a hadley small or hadley pro from billingham.
Or the Fogg Flute.
It is a mini sling bag just nice for your set up.
You could also bring a big ziploc bag filled with silica gel and leave your camera and lens inside if you're worried to replace your dry box.

Marie

Moisture during flight? Airplane cabins have very very DRY air. Sounds more like he had condensation after landing. It should clear pretty quickly though.

Guys please, a DSLR is not made of sugar, it's not going to fall apart if you sneeze on it. Just use it! They're designed and tested in far rougher conditions than Genting highlands.

Common sense applies... Since lenses are made of glass, much like a person's specs, they'll gather condensation if you go from cold to warm and moist too quickly (before the lens can adjust temperature to match). And once the temperatures have equalized,the condensation is gone.

Worry less, shoot more, your camera is designed for taking pictures, not being coddled and pampered.

Let's make that sticky please :thumbsup:

Yes. When I went backpacking last year I brought my dry cabinet and a spare diesel generator to power it. It was a hassle hiking with them but at least my camera stayed in good shape.:bsmilie::bsmilie:

If you want to lug a 36l Digicab around, please by all means. But I doubt you'll find power supply everywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.