Travelling wih dSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fotophilic

Jun 18, 2006
big tree town
Hi all,
have been thinking about this for quite some time.
Do you have a "smaller" dSLR to use when going for travelling.
What model are you using?
The concern here is about the size and weight. Also about the security issues (camera too big, look too expensive, crime magnet).
Just want to find out what others are doing. Planning to get a smaller dSLR for travelling purpose. I don't feel like going to compacts after i've used dSLRs ;p.

Depending on what system you're using now lor. For me, I had a KM 5D for overseas use (backup) while my main cam is the KM 7D.Just get an entry level model for overseas use if you want to travel light.

Hi all,
have been thinking about this for quite some time.
Do you have a "smaller" dSLR to use when going for travelling.
What model are you using?
The concern here is about the size and weight. Also about the security issues (camera too big, look too expensive, crime magnet).
Just want to find out what others are doing. Planning to get a smaller dSLR for travelling purpose. I don't feel like going to compacts after i've used dSLRs ;p.

I don't think there are any "smaller" dSLR in the market. Anyway, I brought along my Prosumer (Lumix FZ-20) when I travelled. It works equally well if not better than most dSLR. My 2 cts worth.

My concern is always the weight rather than the size.
I am using Olympus E500 which I think is lighter compared to Nikon & Canon.
Always carry 2 cameras in my camera bag for my trekking trip.. together with 1 compact camera as a backup but no tripod.
For me, my concern is always the battery + memory... not the security aspect as it depend where you travel.
It will be end of the story if your camera refuse to power up @ certain high altitude.
Battery tend to drain faster there if not keep warm...

I tend to view lost of camera to snatch theft to just be part and parcel of life heheh.. Now before you go crazy....let me add that we read about things like this happening like quite a bit in newspapers or forums but really how often does it really happen. Sometime we are reading the same story over and over again ( appearing in the various magzine or media) or you get expose to it so often you start to think this happen so often like an epidemic heheh.

I have been lugging all my camera gears with me for almost 20 yrs now and a good part of it I had F3, F4 and F5 with lens as long as the 70-200 zoom and as many as 8 lens at any one time. I never have any issue. I have LOST them my silly self but nothing has gotten stolen.

It is also how you go about doing certain things to begin with. Unless I am shooting something specific like a wedding or some official event ofr my company...then I would use a camera bag. But if I am travelling or on walk about shooting, I use a very normal looking haversack. I cushion parts of the interior with just enough padding without making it look bulky. I pre-select what lens I need to bring and then try to cut down further on them for my short list. I try to alway just have up to a maximum of 3 lens with me maximum. I will then chuck the whole lot into the haversack and go walk.

I sometime walk with the camera in the bag and only whip it out when I need to shoot or I might just hang the camera sling around my nexk and just walk with the camera held on to with my hand ( camera position in the front of my body )

Weight is relative and I guess I am one of those who look at it this way. Good shots equal bring more gear. Less gear equal less nicer shots. Now when I say "less nice" it has many meanings... without a tripod you can't take night scene in long exposure, with non fast lens you might have to take with slower speed or with flash or higher ISO...etc things like that.

So there are decision to make when you want to take photos on holiday. Some of my trips especially short ones, I have brought more camera gear with me then clothing heheh.

I tend to view lost of camera to snatch theft to just be part and parcel of life heheh.. Now before you go crazy....let me add that we read about things like this happening like quite a bit in newspapers or forums but really how often does it really happen. Sometime we are reading the same story over and over again ( appearing in the various magzine or media) or you get expose to it so often you start to think this happen so often like an epidemic heheh.

I have been lugging all my camera gears with me for almost 20 yrs now and a good part of it I had F3, F4 and F5 with lens as long as the 70-200 zoom and as many as 8 lens at any one time. I never have any issue. I have LOST them my silly self but nothing has gotten stolen.

It is also how you go about doing certain things to begin with. Unless I am shooting something specific like a wedding or some official event ofr my company...then I would use a camera bag. But if I am travelling or on walk about shooting, I use a very normal looking haversack. I cushion parts of the interior with just enough padding without making it look bulky. I pre-select what lens I need to bring and then try to cut down further on them for my short list. I try to alway just have up to a maximum of 3 lens with me maximum. I will then chuck the whole lot into the haversack and go walk.

I sometime walk with the camera in the bag and only whip it out when I need to shoot or I might just hang the camera sling around my nexk and just walk with the camera held on to with my hand ( camera position in the front of my body )

Weight is relative and I guess I am one of those who look at it this way. Good shots equal bring more gear. Less gear equal less nicer shots. Now when I say "less nice" it has many meanings... without a tripod you can't take night scene in long exposure, with non fast lens you might have to take with slower speed or with flash or higher ISO...etc things like that.

So there are decision to make when you want to take photos on holiday. Some of my trips especially short ones, I have brought more camera gear with me then clothing heheh.

Good read and thanks for sharing the experience.

When i went Korea this June, i brought my 10D with grip, both my Ls and full accessories with my 'ex' A710 IS.

Nikon D40 & D40x is rather small, you may consider that. :thumbsup:

Good choice. Small and virtually weightless. A friend of mine travelling with a D40 (plus kit lens) just returned from Laos. The lighting was wonderful, and she took many very fine photos of the local children and the countryside. I was so impressed:)

Hmm...
Nice discussion.
To Antimony60: Actually what i meant by a smaller dSLR means really a smaller dSLR. For example: S3 Pro is "big one", and D40 is a "small one".
Yah, maybe i'll think about a D40 probably. Kind of thinking of olympus dSLRs too. Think about it.
Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

Hmm...
Nice discussion.
To Antimony60: Actually what i meant by a smaller dSLR means really a smaller dSLR. For example: S3 Pro is "big one", and D40 is a "small one".
Yah, maybe i'll think about a D40 probably. Kind of thinking of olympus dSLRs too. Think about it.
Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

since u using S3 Pro...D40 will be the easier choice cos of lenes...if not take a serious of
E410 w/ 2 kits lens...is light n handy...

I don't really dare to take out even my Fujifilm F30 while in KL or JB.

Haha ... you are just like me !!!

When I when for a 10 day road trip to US, I brought equal amt of gear and clothes ... My wife thot I was mad !!! Oh, and BTW, I was using a D1H. Can you imagine the batt ???

I always believe that if you have already travelled all the way to a place, you better have all that is neccessary to capture the beauty of the place and bring it back with you. Unless you always travel to that place very often, then it's a different story altogther ...

Haha ... you are just like me !!!

When I when for a 10 day road trip to US, I brought equal amt of gear and clothes ... My wife thot I was mad !!! Oh, and BTW, I was using a D1H. Can you imagine the batt ???

I always believe that if you have already travelled all the way to a place, you better have all that is neccessary to capture the beauty of the place and bring it back with you. Unless you always travel to that place very often, then it's a different story altogther ...

Agree bro..... ;)

Did the same on my recent Bali Photo + Diving trip...... my dive gears alone is 18kg. Not incl my camera gears which weight at least another 5kg..... and what about clothing.... hehehe :D

Status
Not open for further replies.